P1180046.jpg

P1180047.jpg

P1180050.jpg

P1180053.jpg

P1180054.jpg

P1180055.jpg

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
:wings: Very nice, very cool JC!! I can't wait to see what you do with the ol' girl... oh, wait... "Wilks"... er... um... I can't wait to see what you do with the ol' boy!:Mechanic:

Adventurer
Wings, Hood, and all Doors are off now. Should have the truck down to the frame by the end of the week. After the engine lift comes in, I should have a bare frame ready to take to the galvanizer.

:Mechanic:

Adventurer
Was busy this week but I was able to get the roof, windshield, sills, and floor panels off... and with my Brother in laws help tomorrow, will have the tub removed. Still have the bulkhead on there though.

Adventurer
Sorry I havent kept this thread updated guys. Here is a pic taken after I removed the RH B-pillar assembly (what was left of it). Slowly but surely, I will get to the part of the XD card that has the rolling frame pics. The pics are HUGE and take so long to upload... I always end up interrupting the process.

Anyway...

I still havent found anyone that'll galvanize the frame for me. If you guys know of anyone in the North GA area, hek, even Southern SC area, I'd be willing to take the drive. I've already got a media blaster lined up to take care of the axle housings and frame. But none of the local galvanizers (that work on industrial stuff) dont want to do the job for me.

Adventurer
Disassembly took longer than expected due to a new full time job thats on the other side of town. I get home pretty tired but I've already gotten into a smooth rythm and put a few hours into the truck every night now. I'm currently working on getting some of the doors prepped for paint.

Adventurer
Neither can I man. I'm dyin to fire the engine up. I think that after I remove it, I'll hook the radiator back up, find the correct way of wiring the battery (dont recall if its Pos or Neg earth) and give it a go.

Adventurer
Today's work...

Today, I started working on disassembly of the rear drivetrain. I took the driveshaft off and proceeded to remove axles and diff. I was VERY happy to find #1)minor leaks in the rear hubs (meaning everything is well preserved) and #2) PLENTY of gear oil within the axle housing! Everything looked as new as my Disco's diffs did! Managed to remove the shock absorbers withouth twisting or breaking the top mounting bolt. Chances are I'll still replace it with a new one.

I spent quite some time trying to manually remove the bolts holding the leafs onto the hangers but I'll have to wait until I get my new grinder. Those badboys are ON there!

Also, thanks to my brother in law, we discovered clues to the truck's history!

While I was working on the suspension, he had just arrived from work and was entering through the garage and stopped to admire the organized mess..lol. He was looking at the tub and discovered that underneath the thick layer of paint, there seemed to be vynil decals! Holding a light up to it and reading it from above we discovered that the letters read...

To the left of the cargo door "Complete Security" and to the right of the Cargo door "Site Services"

So there it is! This truck, although it has every bit of the interior, was a fleet truck at some point! I'm doing as much research as I can now! If you know anything about "Complete Security Site Services" please let me know. Thanks!

Here are two pictures from the last batch I uploaded...

P4290020.jpg

P4290018.jpg

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I thought you were gonna try to get some work donee on the rover..LOL... You have really come a log way, up next.. Assembly!

DCH109

Adventurer
That frame does not look that bad. Even in the pictures. Do you think it will need much repair?

Are you going to switch the rear axle to a Salisbury?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles