EMP

Krisbarger

Observer
How far back would I have to go to get a LR that would not be effected by an EMP?

I have thought about one of these or a jeep for such an event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Harris

Expedition Leader
How far back would I have to go to get a LR that would not be effected by an EMP?

I have thought about one of these or a jeep for such an event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any Rover V8 could easily be made EMP proof by just pulling the fuel injection and installing a carburetor. On a D2, which is 1999.5 - 2004, there would still be the problem of the computer controlled transmission, but you could install the transmission from a 1994-99 D1 to solve that. Direct bolt in. To get a Rover from the factory that is EMP proof you would have to go back to the mid 1980's and earlier before fuel injection.

jarmentrout

Observer
Fully mechanical diesel, or something with carb and magneto for spark, or perhaps points.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Emp. or electromagnetic pulse, damages electronics by creating an electrical charge in any wire long enough to act as an antenna. If your emp proof jeep has any lights, it is probable that they would all blow out, also all of your fuses for that matter.

I did hear that someone (agency, university, etc.) was doing testing and surprisingly a lot of modern cars survived the emp blast.

broken1

Observer
I'm going to go ahead and drop this here:
http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf
You could flip to page 115 (PDF page 131) read a few pages and then start liquidating the cases of tin foil you've been stockpiling...
Automobiles

The potential EMP vulnerability of automobiles derives from the use of built-in electronics
that support multiple automotive functions. Electronic components were first
introduced into automobiles in the late 1960s. As time passed and electronics technologies
evolved, electronic applications in automobiles proliferated. Modern automobiles
have as many as 100 microprocessors that control virtually all functions. While electronic
applications have proliferated within automobiles, so too have application standards and
electromagnetic interference and electromagnetic compatibility (EMI/EMC) practices.
Thus, while it might be expected that increased EMP vulnerability would accompany the
proliferated electronics applications, this trend, at least in part, is mitigated by the
increased application of EMI/EMC practices.

We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages
ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive
electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The
testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially
increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent)
was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous
response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the
simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).

Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and
engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles
that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running
automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately
30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a
stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile
were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively minor. Twenty-five
automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g.,
blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the
37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.

Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below
25 kV/m. Approximately 10 percent or more of the automobiles exposed to higher field
levels may experience serious EMP effects, including engine stall, that require driver
intervention to correct. We further expect that at least two out of three automobiles on the
road will manifest some nuisance response at these higher field levels. The serious malfunctions
could trigger car crashes on U.S. highways; the nuisance malfunctions could
exacerbate this condition. The ultimate result of automobile EMP exposure could be triggered
crashes that damage many more vehicles than are damaged by the EMP, the consequent
loss of life, and multiple injuries.

or is that what they want you to believe? :coffeedrink:

If I recall there was some controversy as to the validity of the testing, as they were responsible for replacing the vehicles they damaged. So they would stop the test at the first sign of failure, rather than test at what an emp field would actually get to. Who knows.

broken1

Observer
True.
If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent) was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped.
I'll take that in to account when you acknowledge that:
No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure.
and
Twenty-five automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g., blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the 37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.
25+8=33 so 33/37 had either a nuisance or no response at all while running and 37/37 had no impact if not running during the event. of those remaing 4, 1 needed actual repair and 3 would need to be be restarted or other driver intervention...

kingg5

Adventurer
ITS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. what is wrong with these preppers? or is that just the new term for hoarding?

Mack73

Adventurer
Only a fool would use a land rover as a bug out vehicle... I mean seriously.

Go get an older diesel domestic pickup/suburban that you could actually find replacement parts for during an event.

Drover

Adventurer
I'm a land rover owner, but I keep a spare one of these ;-) image.jpg
And one of these image.jpg

Carbureted , no micro processors

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I heard on good authority that if you place your tin foil hat on the hood of the vehicle precisely over the location of the ECU or other sensitive electronics you can prevent any adverse affects from an EMP.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles