Thoughts on Moby1 pricing?

ksj

Observer
I've never bought a new trailer before. Is pricing negotiated like with a new car? I'm thinking of the 60" XTR with a bunch of options that put the price over $30K... :snorkel:

John E Davies

Adventurer
I can't say from direct experience, but it is all about supply and demand. If the manufacturer has trailers sitting unsold on his back lot ---- he will negotiate.

Somehow I don't think that is the case here.....

If I decide to buy an XTR I will try to get a discount on some major upgrades and pay full price for the basic trailer. But I am not going to hold my breath about it.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

ksj

Observer
Thanks John. I'm hoping to get them to at least bill the trailer and options separately so I when I go to DMV I only have to pay sales tax on the trailer itself and not all the options as well. Since you're in WA you will run into the same issue. When I purchased my used Horizon I was surprised to pay tax on the purchase when I licensed it in WA. Obviously I'd like to get a bit of a discount on options as well...

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
What is your deadline for a trailer? Have you compared all manufacturers? What are the options that have raised the price to over 30K? Most of us building this level of trailer do not have them setting around. But time frames can normally be met unless they are unrealistic.

Bob

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
For specialty niche market trailers such as ours where there is a high level of customization to meet individual client needs, negotiating discounts is not part of the equation. The pricing policy at AT is that we charge you a fair price for quality product, if we offered discounts or special show pricing it would mean that we are not fair all of the time and that would be disingenuous to our clients.

When trailers are shipped out of state, it is customary to separate the trailer line item from the accessories by issuing two separate invoices. Installation labor in all cases is nontaxable.

ksj

Observer
Thanks for the responses everyone. It was not my intention to imply that the offered pricing was not "fair". As with any major purchase however, when you buy a large number of options it is not unusual to obtain a discount for purchasing them all at the same time, simply because the total margin on the purchase is greater for the seller.

As an example, if I purchase $5K of options that the seller has perhaps a 35% margin on, they might make $1750. If I buy $15K of options at the same margin they might make $5250. The question is would I purchase all of those options at that price. The seller accepting a slightly smaller margin for a larger number of options may sway me to go ahead and purchase those additional options and thus make the difference between the seller earning $1750 versus earning, for example, $4250. I would consider this a win-win situation for both buyer and seller. The seller makes more money and the buyer has the idea that they got a "deal" (and indeed did get a deal).

To be clear, I don't know what the margins involved are and my example is just that, an example.

Septu

Explorer
I saw that too. I asked them if they charged a "Indiana Jones Franchise Defamation Fee" and they deleted my comment :)

lol. I don't blame them for deleting it (off topic, doesn't aid to the conversation, etc). But still funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior