Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Tools storage

Default Ditto...

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyjake View Post
    could we get some more pics and info on your welding setup, smith? thanks

I'm setting up a Pelican 1520 tool box for my new to me FJ62 myself, tired of the other methods I've used. I think I'm up to at least a dozen Pelican cases now.

Would love some more info on that welder.

Thanks.
    John E.

Yes...It could happen any time
    tornado, earthquake,
    Armageddon...
    It could happen
    or sunshine, love, salvation
    It could you know, that's why we wake
    and look out
    No guarantees in this life but some bonuses
    like morning, like noon, like evening...

like right now

William Stafford 1914-1993

Quote Originally Posted by Rigged View Post
    theksmith: What kind of socket rails are you using? I have gone through three different kinds and I'm always fishing for sockets at the bottom of my bag.
    they are from Offroad Trail Tools - you kinda have to do a twisting motion to get the sockets on/off, but i hardly ever end up with any falling off. did a little write-up on them here: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315

one person pointed out that for an older person's hands they are a PITA though.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyjake View Post
    could we get some more pics and info on your welding setup, smith? thanks
    it's just a battery welder setup... nothing near as fancy as a Mobi-Arc or ReadyWelder.

you basically just need your and your buddy's batteries temporarily out of the vehicle, and if you have a third it's even easier to strike and hold and arc, especially on poorly prepped metal. you connect the batteries in series, and run a positive ground.

this guy covers all the basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tHJ0NSjZnM

i talked with a guy at one of the large welding supply shops a while back about what rod to get for general emergency trail repair, and he sold me 3/32" 6010 rod....

reasons he gave for this rod:
    - mainly it's one of the easiest rods to make a decent weld with
    - easy to strike an arc with
    - can be used in any position
    - fast freezing
    - they burn pretty hot so you can work fast and they will give you good penetration even with oily or rusty metal
    - less slag / cleaner than many others
    - plenty of strength for a just a temporary trail repair
    - you can cut with them if you had to (move slow with 3 batteries or 4)

6010 vs 6011:
    - 6010 is specifically for DC welding (which is what we are doing with a car battery)
    - 6010 welds slightly smoother and easier
    - 6010 slag chips off easier

3/32" size:
    - good all purpose compromise for the different thicknesses of metal you might encounter on the jeep
    - should work fine with only 2 batteries (24v) if you don't happen to have 3 (36v) handy

for my setup, i used some quick-clamps from autozone for the battery connects: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...Clamp/_/N-25nk

then, if you search ebay for "welding lead" and sort by price-lowest-first, you'll see several people selling different universal arc welding leads with a rod holder and ground clamp already on them. i found this cheaper than buying bulk wire and a separate holder/clamps.

i bought a fairly long set with 4 gauge wire and cut some off one end of each line to make the 2 jumpers for the batteries (so i can run 2 or 3 batteries depending on the metal thickness or prep). then some nice shrink wrap on the connections.

then you need some rods in a water/humidity proof container, and some goggles. throw all that in a bag and keep it in your rig for emergencies, doesn't take up much space, i think my bag is 12" by 12" by 2" or so.

my friend George (Number7 on here) has a similar set i think already made up for sale, PM him for details.

he had success with 2 batteries and 1/16" 6013 rod:

he even tried coat hanger and bailing wire as rod and said bailing wire could be used in a real serious pinch if you had to.

anyway, you can make do with some jumper cables, but it's nice to have a dedicated setup ready to go considering it doesn't take much time or money to make one. George has already used his twice now to save people from some serious "how the hell do we get this off the trail" type situations.

we also both carry a few different sizes/thicknesses of scrap steel in our rigs for use with this to splint or repair areas that break.

UPDATE: i replace my previous dedicated welding kit with a new modular jumper-cable & battery welding setup: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3114

Last edited by theksmith; 10-28-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Lots of great ideas here...thanks everyone.
    1997 Defender 110 300TDI

thanks for the info, smith
    04 toyota sequoia, to keep the wife happy

09 silverado 4 dr, 35's,

89 4-runner; 3" BL, 255/85 bighorns on '09 taco steelies, 5.29's, rear spool, cobra 25, hella 500's w/more to come

95 geo tracker, leveled, 31" GY MTR's, no top.

Years ago I polled several lists for what rod people carried. 6010 came in second, 7014 (I *think*) came in first. Reasoning was essentially the same rod in the way it performed, but 70 ksi strength vs. 60 ksi strength.

Huntsman offers a leather welding helmet that works over a baseball cap and uses the cap's bill for support. Nice in that it folds flat, yet still offers full face shielding.
    I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right through them.

I love the pelican case. with the camera insert.

I have gone to using rolls and bags its been easier for me to keep them organised and pack smaller.

I made this wrench role a couple weeks ago.

Wernch-tool-role-1w.jpg
    Wernch-tool-role-7w.jpg
    Wernch-tool-role-4w.jpg
    Wernch-tool-role-5w.jpg

Blog post about it.
    Website - Blog - facebook
    The first thing you take is the next thing you
    96XJ,CJ10A,JKU,CJ8

Wow, you should make those to sell!
    -Trev
    1988 Unimog U1700AG

Thanks, I have thought about selling it . But pricing a leather tool roll has been hard for me. Making it in the US on a small scale and being competitive with other roles made off shore. Seems like we would be priced out of the market. But you never know.

Matt
    Www.thayguysgarage.com
    Website - Blog - facebook
    The first thing you take is the next thing you
    96XJ,CJ10A,JKU,CJ8

-Trev
    1988 Unimog U1700AG

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast