camper batteries

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I am just interested in what type of batteries are being used out there for campers, and how they do. Brands, pros and cons. Solar set ups etc

thanks!

craig333

Expedition Leader
Or going straight to the camper sections. I have solar and one agm battery in mine not counting the truck batteries.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I'm using 2 Deka 6V AGM batteries in a series (12v). I did this, because the group 31 12V batteries wouldn't fit in my camper, but the 6V batteries, being taller and skinnier, would. Almost the same amp hours. I've got approx 200 AH and 200 "theoretical" watts of solar on the roof.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I've got an Odyssey PC2250 that I am really happy with. Stays inside, no fumes. Can sit for a long time with minimal discharge. I have 2 solar panels with a Blue Sky MPPT that i connect periodically. Also have a shore power connection with a 3 step charger (can't remember the brand), and a Honda EU2000i, and a 1200w inverter. I also connect to the vehicle alternator via a #2 cable with an Anderson connector.
I use the battery carefully, and I've had no shortages.
HTH

bee

Observer
For batteries I use SamsClub 6v golf car batteries. They are "duracell" which are rebadged Deka. I found them to be the best price per amp hour, and Deka has a pretty good reputation. Also if problems arise I can simply get replacements easily nothing exotic here.

For electronics I recommend:
Surepower smart relay. It makes sure the house batteries do not draw on the start battery when you are trying to start your vehicle. Also no voltage drop issues that an isolator would have.

ANL fuses because they are cheap and can be found readily at car radio shops, again nothing exotic.

Morningstar for solar chargers. They are high quality and they are 1 of 2 companies with the balls to actually post efficiency ratings. They are the most efficient with outback coming in a close 2nd. Morningstar also makes the most efficient small sine wave inverter.

Trimetric 2025 for a battery meter. It really shows you whats going on. I wouldn't bother buying the various displays that the solar charger companies offer as options, this thing will tell you all you need to know.

I also use Anderson connectors, I have a truck camper and just plug it in and go. They are the standard high amperage connector, from winches to forklifts, Andersons are used.

kevint

Adventurer
I use 2 6v Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries. They cost me close to $300 for the pair. Click here for the data sheet.

They have a 20 hour rating of 225 A-H but I obviously I don't pull them at a 20 hour rate. In in my use they perform well above 225 A-H confirmed by measuring my loads and estimating depletion both via voltage and specific gravity.

Unfortunately, they are not a good choice for off-road campers as they are not sealed. My mistake. On rough terrain, a little bit of electrolyte splashes out on each trip. For a normal camper they would be fine.

Double-ditto on the Anderson connectors.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I use a Lifeline GPL-4DA in my Bigfoot camper. Also have one in the nose box of my Horizon trailer.

It's a humongous 12v AGM battery. In both applications it's the biggest 12v battery I could fit in the available space.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I use a pair of Optima D31M Bluetops in parallel in the teardrop. I picked them for the style of camping that we do ---- usually 1-4 days in one spot and relatively short hops. I wanted something that would recharge quickly/completely off of my 180 amp alternator.
Since all I run are a few LED lights and a fridge, it works out well; in the winter we have a 12v electric blanket that will run for about a half hour/night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles