Best chuckbox layouts for vehicles

overlander

Expedition Leader
I'm going to design and build a camp kitchen that can be mounted in the back of my defender. I'm going to use plywood most likely, and thinking about options. My requirements are:

1. 1 side opening
  2. full access to everything when side is open
  3. opening side double as surface area
  4. holds kit for cooking/feeding up to 6 people
  5. removable with quick connects to mount on side of vehicle's external body cage (concept proven at last rover club event with current chuckbox)

I really like the well thought out organization of some of the production expedition trailer setups I have seen, and would like to emulate some of those designs. I would love to get thoughts, pictures and considerations from those of you gone down a similiar path before me, or have setups they really like now.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Try to imagine this. I've looked for the magazine but can't find it

I local guy kitted his Pajero/Montero with a floor to ceiling packing system with all the bells and whistles, then on the outside he had a big stainless steel unit that swung on a swivel system like a wheel carrier. So picture an awning at the back with the back door open and packing system exposed then next to that you have the kitchen which has been swung out. It's like having a restuarant kitchen out in the bush.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Not quite what you are looking for, but I've always thought the tailgate mounted ones are slick. Probably have to upgrade the tailgate hinges and stuff.

625_RHSImage__TN800.jpg

If you haven't already, a few plans can be found by googling 'patrol kitchen' or 'chuckbox.'

Here's a basic one.

I've been doing a little searching, since I'm planing on doing something similar myself one day. One thing I plan to do is make mine modular so that one person can handle it, one piece at a time, without getting a hernia.

Addited:

Of course, the Cook's Ultimate Tailgater has some cool features. I know, I've linked it in elsewhere, but it deserves more exposure!

51pzWMqYOuL._SS400_.jpg

Last edited:

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Here are some pics of kitchen setups that I like. Maybe some of them will inspire you:
normal_IMG_0049.JPG

normal_IMG_0062.JPG

normal_IMG_0048.JPG

These first 3 shots are all the same kitchen from different angles, I really like the sink and drain board that hangs off the door and the fitted compartment for utensils and plates. These are from a swing out kitchen on a Supra off-road trailer

normal_IMG_0055.JPG

2581863880062799786S500x500Q85.jpg

2659460850062799786S500x500Q85.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior