Was a dump trailer........Now.....

hidefxj

Observer
Hello all, I just wanted to share my trailer mod with you. Not to brag, but rather to inform some who may still be on the fence about such a build.
Many believe that a dump trailer/angle iron trailer is not strong enough to withstand the rigors of off-roading. I am here to dispute such a claim (for the most part).
I fully understand that this trailer may not be able to withstand MOAB or other such intense terrain, but I guess we will never know until I make it out there to try.

I began with a standard 4x8 texas bragg dump trailer:

fYx52ay.jpg

gnWsAQC.jpg

And in a nutshell, chopped 2ft off the rear, narrowed a dodge caravan axle, attached, supplemented the frame in select spots with additional box steel, angle and unistrut (yes, unistrut), and added diamond plate truck tool boxes for storage.
My plan was to make a cost effective (cheap), lightweight trailer that would satisfy my need for additional storage on and off road.
Make no mistake, this was a PITA to assemble due to the metal prep (downside to using an existing trailer) but it did cut down on cost. I truly feel that modifying existing is more challenging than building from scratch. Just my opinion.
Though she is not finished, I came up with this in two weeks for around $675 total. (thanks craigslist)

oDGKUYB.jpg

behind my Rig.....

xfW8SK4.jpg

5rJBSGm.jpg

questions?

hidefxj

Observer
Still many things to do, but honestly, I worked so hard on it for so long that I'm a little tired of it right now.

hidefxj

Observer
I have secured some aluminum diamond plate for the sides and ends and I will most likely lay down some aluminum sheeting for the floor. As for the top, I'd like to build a sleeping platform that raises via gas struts but that is a little ways out.
For now, the side and front boxes house a fair amount and keep things dry, for the remainder, I have 2 waterproof totes that I picked up from follies for $10 each.

hidefxj

Observer
For the floor support, I used a hinged ATV ramp. The beauty of this is that it is rated for about 1800 lbs. AND super lightweight. An added bonus is that the ATV ramp slid right into the existing C channel on the trailer.

O8DRD0c.jpg

lpsH9nJ.jpg

lH1HCvX.jpg

obviously this is just a test fit prior to cutting 2 feet off the end of the trailer.

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice BOB job. It makes it a nice length.
How does the FARM USE tage work?
How far away can you take it without plates?

gordinho80

Adventurer
That is pretty impressive! I like the use of the aluminum ramps for floor joists! I agree with you on the modifying existing over building from scratch. Very nice work!

hidefxj

Observer
Nice BOB job. It makes it a nice length.
How does the FARM USE tage work?
How far away can you take it without plates?

Honestly,I don't know any of the regulations for a farm tag. I was too busy building the trailer all the way up to the moment I left for my camping trip.
It was either run the previous owners tag or the farm tag. At least I could claim ignorance on the farm tag.

hidefxj

Observer
That is pretty impressive! I like the use of the aluminum ramps for floor joists! I agree with you on the modifying existing over building from scratch. Very nice work!

Thank you very much!
I reviewed my options and even expanded steel was either too expensive or too heavy. Wood is temporary and shifts/shrinks. Also worried about critters making it their home.

hidefxj

Observer
A little update.....
Finally got some sides, front and back on the trailer but I wanted to do it in an inexpensive way.

Before, without sides-
s2NxfWR.jpg

After with-
cDeCas0.jpg

My source for cheap aluminum diamond plate was a cheap truck box off craigslist for $50.
pDbpLm0.jpg

ZOyoPcM.jpg

hidefxj

Observer
Next, I wanted to floor the bed of the trailer but for little money and with a significant weight savings. I hit craigslist again for an old pickup bedliner....
fagVvJq.jpg

Cut it down-
INyFpCD.jpg

Before.........
qXQu2Xs.jpg

After..........
BpGSnmB.jpg

hidefxj

Observer
Next, I wanted to add a rear swing out gate with removable fold out cooking/prep shelf.
I cut a piece of diamond plate for the shelf surface and it sits on top of two swing out L brackets.
The L brackets are made of round steel rod bent to a 90 degree angle, then inserted into drilled out
nuts that are welded to the frame.

QfdvZqx.jpg

FlPUVVQ.jpg

Wildcat

Adventurer
Cool man! I love the table and rear swing out. The floor system is pretty slick too. Thinking outside the box.

hidefxj

Observer
Cool man! I love the table and rear swing out. The floor system is pretty slick too. Thinking outside the box.

Thanks for the kind words. I am "thrifty" some people call it cheap but either way, I like to use inexpensive materials to accomplish things. It also serves as a form of recycle/repurpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles