Just Differentials Ford F450 4x4 Motorhome on 42's Build Thread

swirvin21

Hard Corps
I'd be interested in hearing more about the axles! I have a front Dana 60 from a 2004 F450 that came stock w/ 4.88s that I am upgrading to put in my Dodge Ram offroad truck as well as a Dana 80 w/ 5.13s that came out of a 1995ish F-Superduty truck. There are very few parts available to upgrade these axles and I'm wanting to see if you plan on offering any more. Everything I'm having to do is custom: the front is 8 on 220 or 225mm pattern and the rear is a 10 lug small pattern. What are your bolt patterns? Seems the pre-2004 F450s have multiple patterns.

I have found a guy that will redrill and mill the knuckles to add hi-steer arms and found gear conversion available to put a hi-pinion Dana 70 ring & pinion inside the front axle. There are very few lockers available for both, so we'll see where that goes. I'd love to hear some ideas from you guys!!

nitro-gear

Supporting Sponsor - Differential & Axle Parts
What is not available? We've got Lockers, LSD units, R&P's, Axles, etc etc. 99-04 F450/550 are 8x225, 05+ are 10x225 The hub assemblies without the OEM dually adapter on my 04 axle are the same as f250/350 8x170, so you could use a custom adapter. On the 05+ front the knuckle will accept any 99+ unit bearing, but they also use larger ujoints, etc. So I used some 05+ F250/f350 unit bearings as they accept the 05+ f450/550 35 spline 1550 series outer axles. This got me the 8x170 pattern to be able to use original 04 adapters and the same wheels. I wouldn't bother with the d70 conversion on the R&P, as most failures we see are with the pinion, which does not increase in size.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the axles! I have a front Dana 60 from a 2004 F450 that came stock w/ 4.88s that I am upgrading to put in my Dodge Ram offroad truck as well as a Dana 80 w/ 5.13s that came out of a 1995ish F-Superduty truck. There are very few parts available to upgrade these axles and I'm wanting to see if you plan on offering any more. Everything I'm having to do is custom: the front is 8 on 220 or 225mm pattern and the rear is a 10 lug small pattern. What are your bolt patterns? Seems the pre-2004 F450s have multiple patterns.

I have found a guy that will redrill and mill the knuckles to add hi-steer arms and found gear conversion available to put a hi-pinion Dana 70 ring & pinion inside the front axle. There are very few lockers available for both, so we'll see where that goes. I'd love to hear some ideas from you guys!!

swirvin21

Hard Corps
My understanding was that the D70 pinion was marginally bigger, but yes, I understand that there is no real strength increase in the pinon. I already have a set of 5.13 HP Dana gears and long term plan was to possibly cryo them and hope that the additional strength from the ring will help things stay alive. Unfortunately there are very few Dana 70 lockers available, mainly Detroit and ARB, so I'm considering going with a spool to help eliminate any breakage from unloading. Though I have had great experiences with my current ARB, I don't think it's a good long-term option for my 46" MVTs on Stazworks beadlocks unless I make the jump to 40spl.

I know it sounds like I'm building a competition-type rockcrawler, but I'm trying very hard to build an all-terrain Ram capable of doing a trip up to and around the backcountry of Alaska. Even though the MVTs are a little heavy, they are very common in the military and relatively easy to come by in all the areas I would consider driving through and are very reasonably priced. My F-Superduty rear Dana 80 should have no issue handling this setup, but making a front Dana 60 reliable with these tires in the terrain I want to do is difficult.

I have considered other options for gearing in the front axle, with the 10" Dana Super 60 being one option, but only the Currie 5.38 model has the upgraded 35spline pinion and I can't get clear verification that this is any stronger than the Dana 70 HP pinion. Obviously the best option would be to go with a new Dana 80 front axle, but my pockets aren't that deep!

As a gear manufacturer, I'd love to hear your insight on the best way to build this axle. The 99-04 F350 D60s get a bad rap for having such a short tube on the driver's side and therefore and less commonly built to this level, but most people don't know that the F450 version has a longer driver side tube and has room for mounting brackets. Due to this lack of use, there really isn't much data out there on their weaknesses. Knowing whether or not a load bolt or bearing cap supports would benefit reliability enough to make that investment worthwhile would help convince me that cyro and D70 ring/pinion may not be necessary.

Sorry if I'm babbling on too much or hi-jacking your thread, but getting input from a manufacturer like yourself is soo much more helpful than hearing someone tell me that going to 40 spline inners/outers will somehow make my axle "unbreakable." As you've read, I'm concerned with reliability of my ring & pinion, not shafts. Shafts break, but we can still keep moving with a spare or some ingenuity. You blow your gear setup and your trip is pretty much ruined. Thanks for any input you can pass along!

Semper Fi!

Nitro Gear Ford F450 Xplorer Xcursion 4x4 RV / Motorhome on Continental 41" 335/80r20

ts an RV that is much more usable than a standard RV. Can tow another vehicle, comfortably fit a family of 4 for several weeks, parks very easily, easier to drive than most crewcab pickups (claims my 5'2" wife) can be driven in nearly any on-road conditions, and light offroad conditions with ease. Could go more places than I will take it due to its size, departure angle and all of the ammenities. I still do take it LOTS of places and is not your RV park winnebago.

-Started out as a 2004 Xplorer Xcursion RV / Motorhome 6.0L powerstroke F450 4wd chassis, leaf front Dana 60, Dana S110 Rear axle. Features queen rear bedroom, queen cabover bed, Slideout with kitchenette, 3 Diesel tanks, Propane 5k onan generator, TV, Stove, fridge, dual 6v battery setup, 100 gal freshwater,

-Suspension: 2005+ coil sprung F550 Frontend "fatboy" Dana Super 60 swapped in for better ride, wider track, tighter turning radius. Stock coils w/ 2" spacer and airbags. 12k lb rear OE leaf packs with assist airbags custom solid 1" block bolted into leaf pack. Radflo 2.5" remote reservoir Shocks custom built and valved. Icon Armored truck spec panhard rod
-Steering: 05+ F350 Steering box with F550 pitman arm, PSC 10" Hydraulic assist Ram
-Nitro Gear 5.38 Ring & Pinions, Nitro Xtreme diff cover, Eaton E-locker front and Truetrac Rear, rear hubs swapped to 10 lug to match front
-Bushwacker Cutout flares, ASFIR Modular bumper, Milemarker 15K winch, Masterpull synthetic line, Factor 55 Pro Link
-Buckstop 20x11" heavy duty single wheels with Continental MPT81 335/80r20 (41") Miltary Tires
-2007 Grille, headlight update (mirrors soon)
-Bulletproof/Sinister upgrades to 6.0L, EGR, New headgaskets, Headstuds, coolant filter system, banks intercooler, SCT programming, Edge gauges, Oddessey batteries

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.508089502563145.105666.178075115564587&type=3

10302032_698131706892256_7773446698674157712_n.jpg

10307433_698131853558908_1130059637169552983_n.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Love the way the 40's look on it... Like it was meant to have those tires on it from the factory. Looks like it's got a bit of rear-end sag though, or is it just an optical illusion in the pics???

On another note, is that the Nitro Gears 70-series that did the UA recently???

Cheers

Dave

coastal616

Adventurer
What did you do for balancing the MPT's? I tried a couple bags of tire balancing beads, but I think it could be better. I went to a tire shop today and they said not to bother trying to balance them....but I have a friend who had his done with normal wheel weights and he said it's great.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Does the flex in the frame cause any concerns due to the fact that it is hard mounted to the frame and the cab?
Ward

nitro-gear

They did have weights first. Then we switched to beads. They are pretty good with the beads. Occasional slower speed cold weather shake, but nice at highway speed

What did you do for balancing the MPT's? I tried a couple bags of tire balancing beads, but I think it could be better. I went to a tire shop today and they said not to bother trying to balance them....but I have a friend who had his done with normal wheel weights and he said it's great.

nitro-gear

Yes if we were actually using it hard and twisting it up offroad, it could be a concern for sure. That said it can get you to way more places than a standard RV, but not as many as a custom expedition dedicated Offroad vehicle. It has a few years of use in pretty rugged places and OK still. If we have a problem, would address it then.

Does the flex in the frame cause any concerns due to the fact that it is hard mounted to the frame and the cab?
Ward

coastal616

Adventurer
They did have weights first. Then we switched to beads. They are pretty good with the beads. Occasional slower speed cold weather shake, but nice at highway speed

Haha exact same thing mine do. I put them up to 75PSI and almost all the shake is gone at any temp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94