In my make it fit in the FJC
Every trip I am getting things more narrowed down and repacked
Also trying to get lighter
Kinda miss the trailer :) anyway

Before had a couple of my pelicans 1620 and 1650
Problem is when packed the pelicans get so heavy
Also breaking my gear into smaller lighter packages easier to load unload

For some of my stuff I might just use soft padded cases instead
Made a couple with sleeping bag pads and a couple soft coolers that happen to fit some of my gear :)

Anyone use soft padded cases instead for some gear ?

If so for what ?

And any thoughts on good cases and where you got them ?

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Not sure exactly what you're looking for but I use the Sealine Baja Dry bags. Super durable, dry, pack small and they're light. I use them for all of my camp linens, sleeping bags, camp pillows, hammocks. I have multiple sizes and organize the bags for each person in the family. I just grab my bag if I'm the only one camping. I can strap them down in the truck bed and never worry about taking up room in the can not do I have to worry about the stuff getting wet. They take up no room in camp when empty.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Have a good selection of dry bags :)
One of them close to 30 years old still working and used it through Honduras and Micronesia and quite a few other travels :)

More like soft padded bags for the stove kinda thing :)
Soft bags for my dutch oven that kinda thing :)

Clothes will be in a dry bag or inside the cab

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
Look for some Lightware photo equipment cases. They were designed to do exactly what you're describing only with photo gear. They're a lot like Pelican cases but with soft sides.

Good idea :)
Yeah nice stuff also Kata has some nice bags
To much money for my camp gear :)
Also want some with plain nylon material inside
My lightstand bags have regular nylon they make great tent pole bags :)

I am a photographer for a living so have used some of my photo stuff :)
When I did commercial advertising work I made a lot of my own case inserts with gator board and sleeping bag pads :)
Had 6 huge lighting cases I did that way :)
Worked out quite well

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
For day trips, go for it. For a typical day trip, I have a soft cooler, my soft camera bag, and a backpack with misc crap in it. I drive a LR 109, but just because I have all that space doesn't mean I need to use it! Also I'm not carrying any cooking equipment or anything like that.

Soft coolers are good for day trips, but not much beyond that. Also only good with cooler packs. If you put ice in them, then they leak and you've got a mess. Also the soft cooler gets all soggy and its just a dismal mess.

Depending on what you are carrying, soft cases are great. For a day trip, I pack one backpack with all my misc crap in it. Very nice as its just a backpack. Nothing fancy other than its an old north face (so it is waterproof which is nice). All of my tools, recovery equipment, and other misc giant pieces of metal are stored in my lock box.

Do you have a backpacking backpack? If so, start using that to carry all of your clothes and sleeping equipment. Did that on a few trips last year. Was nice because I was able to load up the backpack upstairs then conveniently haul it down two levels to my truck. Also just as easy to bring it back up. Waterproof and durable. If you don't have one, check craigslist as there are plenty out there. Recent developments in the last couple of years have rendered all backpacks 5+ years obsolete. While they are still good, they are heavy (but its riding around in the back of a truck for 2 extra lbs doesn't matter).

For overnight trips, I will carry my camping equipment in a "hard case". My friend who is a waitress can get me these awesome cardboard boxes with lids. Great for packing the camping equipment.

Overall, go for it.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Thanks for the thoughts :)

my pelican cases Example one has my partner stove my stainless side things for the IGT and my IGT inserts and my magma grill !
Well it weighs a ton of course to much to lift on the roof comfortably so if it goes in my rig why ?
my partner stove is a case in itself basically since its so tough so a soft case to keep it from dinging other things same as my grill :) is more what I am thinking
My goal zero lights are in a small hard case since they are fragile as other fragile things are but really all my camp gear is tough
I spent about a year total of my life bicycle touring and no hard cases :)

I will still use tough cases but re thinking when I see a partner stove in a pelican ? Is that really needed

Still curious if some use soft cases for some things over hard like a partner stove as example :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94