Norcold NRF portable fridges?

4x4junkie

Explorer
Looks like another clone from the Indel/Waeco/Truckfridge/Ironman line.

No personal experience (I have the EdgeStar), but reports seem to be mostly good on the above units. Says the AC adapter is optional (not included), which is something the Edgestar and (I believe) ARB & Engel units have built-in.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
when i edgestar went out for the last time and i was ready to replace it, i wanted to keep a side opening lid so i was really looking over the waeco/dometic/norcold, but ultimately i have read too many posts about how folks get very little customer service on these units, almost no parts support when something like the temp sender goes out, (seems common) ect.

there is a reason others cost a bit more and i think part of that reason is customer/parts support. i finally bought an ARB, mostly based on the glowing reviews folks give of customer support with the company in general.

DaveM

Explorer
Looks like another clone from the Indel/Waeco/Truckfridge/Ironman line.

No personal experience (I have the EdgeStar), but reports seem to be mostly good on the above units. Says the AC adapter is optional (not included), which is something the Edgestar and (I believe) ARB & Engel units have built-in.

Clone of what? I thought Waeco was a reputable brand, are they just knock-offs?

4x4junkie

Explorer
Clone of what? I thought Waeco was a reputable brand, are they just knock-offs?

No, not necessarily a "knock-off", more likely just rebranding of same (or similar) units (the EdgeStar has clones too, as well ARB's unit was once an Engel clone).

Notice it has some similarities to the Waeco here:
http://www.waeco.com.au/products5.asp?id=333&subCatId2=69&subCatId=60&catId=57

TruckFridge:
http://www.truckfridge.com/tf41.html

Ironman:
http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/fridge.html

Indel-B:
http://www.indelb.com/products/automotive/tb41a

Major difference among them seems to be some have lids that open widthwise (Waeco/Norcold), others open lengthwise (TF/Indel/Ironman). Some of the newer units also have interior lights.

I'd buy any one of these units based on price (or whether you prefer a side or end-opening lid).

RHINO

Expedition Leader
re-branding is tough to figure out sometimes.

indel b is its own company and is the parent brand for truckfridge and ironman

waeco is the parent brand with dometic and norcold of that family.

i think the parent brand for edgstar, as well as others like the mr. heater cabelas unit linked above is wynter.

waeco is big in australia, those guys love them, so i think you wouldnt go wrong with that family of fridges, i just dont think the customer support is there for the US market. which is ultimately why i strayed away from them.

dBeau

Hoopy
(my first post... Hi Mom!)

Curious if anyone here has any experience with the newer portable Norcold NRF fridge/freezers?

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/NorcoldIncRefrigerators/NRF45/tabid/842/Default.aspx

Engle and ARB are out of my price range. I had been looking into Edgestar but recently found Norcold and they look like another possibility in that under $800 price range.

Any direct experience with these?

I've been playing with an NRF 45 that I bought from amazon a couple of months ago. So far, so good. The prices on the engle and ARB turned me off and I didnt like the "unfinished" bottom of the edgestar. Ultimately what made my choice easy were the dimensions. I wanted something that would fit under the tonneau cover as well as on the rear "seat" in my tacoma xtra cab. That the lid opens width-wise also makes access easier when it's on the rear seat and I'm in the front, so I consider that bonus.

I ran it for a couple of weeks in the house with the a/c adapter connected to a kill-o-watt. Average power draw came out to about 10 watts when set to 35F in a 70F room. I'd expect about the same (well less actually) draw without the a/c adapter in line. It's now in the truck connected to a 100ah agm aux battery so I'm expecting about 60 hours of runtime before it shuts itself off. Of course the ambient temps in the truck will change that a bit. Oddly, the power draw is nearly identical to that of the 7.5cf chest freezer that I converted to a beer fridge (replaced the thermostat). The chest freezer was less than $200, though! But that's different story.

The voltage sensing circuit seems a bit enthusiastic. When I first put it in the truck I didnt have the aux battery so set the control to position 2 (11.6 lv cutoff). I didnt want to risk a dead starter battery. A couple of times it shut down due to low voltage even though it had barely run at all. After I added the aux battery I noticed the same thing but measured the battery voltage at maybe 12.3. Since then I've switched the setting to position 1, it's now supposed to keep on running down to 10.7v and I havent seen a low voltage shutdown since. It's only been a couple of days with the aux battery so I'm still trying to get a feel for the battery life. I'm using a CTEK D250S and SmartPass for charging... so far that seems to be working well and I dont have to worry about running down the starter battery. The couple of times I let it run overnight (prior to the aux battery) I had no trouble starting the truck in the morning. The nights are still pretty chilly here in the New England so that probably doesnt mean much.

The fridge itself is well built, heavier than expected, and fairly quiet. I could probably sleep next to it if I had to, but it wouldnt be my first choice. It reminds me of a decent quailty plastic cooler, and that's just what it looks like. The power cord is detachable though sticks out a bit when connected. The 12v plug fits loosly into by Blue Sea 12v outlet. It works, but I'll probably replace the plug with one from Blue Sea. The ac adapter was not included. Building it in like the other brands do would have been nice. It would have made the unit weigh more and cost more, but since you're likely to buy it anyways, and carry it along anyways, the only advantage I can see for not including it is that it's one less component that's needed inside the compressor compartment so might help with the form factor.

It's the first portable fridge I've owned so I cant really compare to anything else. But, I can say that I'm happy with my purchase.

DaveM

Explorer
dBeau,

That was a very detailed 1st post and answers a lot of questions for me, thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz