What is everyone up to?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I get sad when this section has no activity ;), so what is everyone up to? Projects/Mods? Trips? Nothing?

Scott Brady

Founder
I am going to drive Copper Canyon in an 08 Sportsmobile next month, with five other Sportsmobiles... :)

So excited! :jumping:

phenopd

Observer
Chris,
What 's happening w/ your bumper build?? It was taking shape. I have that as one of my future projects and I was following your thread with great interest.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I went to NC & NY for 2 weeks over the holidays, so it's been on hold. Now that I'm back in the groove, I'm ready to get going again. It's time to bend some tube & buy aluminum!! I now have a deadline (p-day weekend) so it's time to get busy. I'm also almost finished with a solid axle swap for a customer, (tahoe) so that's taking up allot of time.

Scott-- that sounds like a blast!! I want pics of the 08's with the diesel!!

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
expeditionswest said:
I am going to drive Copper Canyon in an 08 Sportsmobile next month, with five other Sportsmobiles... :)

in your very own Sportsmobile....? :box:

Gravity

Observer
well, I just finished installing a set of spacers on my rear axle and a pr of Firestone Ride Rite airbags.

Van now sits how it should and doesn't sag and the rear end matches the front....All in al a very straightforward install

props to Fred at wheeladapter.com for the rear spacers

-d

efuentes

Explorer
expeditionswest said:

So, should i have 6 cases of ice cold Pacificos ready? You guys are visiting right?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I have been taking the van out for a stretch whenever its nice out and the salt is off the road. Other than that, just been buying parts for the build this spring. So far I've collected most of the electrical components, many of the turbo conversion parts, wheels, tires, winches, lighting, and some onboard computing components. I have SO much work to do!!!!!!!

Spence

Clark

Observer
I've been working on a van conversion ;) You have no idea how hard it is to track down a 33 mm socket. I finally have the axle fully stripped - now its time to get started cleaning things up. I have loads of unglamorous jobs that need to get done (water pump, hoses, low pressure oil pump). I just installed an amsoil duel bipass oil filter.

Railvan

Adventurer
ujointclothing said:
I get sad when this section has no activity ;), so what is everyone up to? Projects/Mods? Trips? Nothing?

Sorry to say, nothing related to traveling in my Sportsmobile. Rats!

expeditionswest said:

Oh man, that hurts!!! ;^) That is on my dream list to do. We came close to doing the Copper Canyon on our honeymoon, but it was the wrong time of year, and it was years before we had the van too.

I am trying to get out for short overnight trips, as I have split days off. Having to head back in one day is rough when I am headed out, away from home, as I just want to keep going!

Enjoy the Sportsmobile trip, and post lots of photos too.

Brian Rutherford
http://www.pbase.com/railbat/root

Topher Walters

Adventurer
I got to get away for a fun trip with my new (9 months old) pup. We had a great time But i'm sore from shooting 200+ rounds at sporting clays.

Scott - Who will be taking the other Sportsmobiles?

jgolden

Adventurer
It looks like my possible van project is out the window. The van is sitting in impound in T.J. - it was stolen in Ensenada and then recovered in T.J. Mexico. If the owners claim it, they get zero reimbursement from insurance.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
ujointclothing said:
Winches? Awesome. How are you mounting it in the rear?

Glad to see things aren't so quiet!!

Yeah..plural:) I thought long and hard about having just one winch on a receiver, or two permanent ones. My love of "way hardcore" won out...again. I'm building the bumpers this spring, both of which will incorporate integral winches. I'll be tying directly into the frame rails for both the front and rear mounting structure. The rear bumper is also being loaded with a swing-out tire carrier and storage for 3 or 4 Jerrys, so it is going to be seriously beefy. The front winch is a Warn 5867, and the rear is a Ramsey REP8000. Both are obviously a little small to single line, but I've got no problem doubling up the rode. I'm also doing rock sliders, a couple 1/2" steel belly pans in strategic locations, a custom basket up on the roof, and tons of other shiz. I'm going into my business full-time next month, so hopefully I'll free up some time and money to make it all happen.

In the end, I'll have a slow and heavy, but brutally tough expedition rig....

Spence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles