Spare tire options for trailer

Box Rocket

I looking for different ideas on tire carriers etc for a spare tire on my trailer. I have seen some using a receiver mounted carrier, and some on swingouts but would like to see photos and here some feedback on your experiences with different setups.

My trailer has a tailgate so a reciever mounted one isn't the most convenient. And I have water/fuel and a cooler mounted on the tongue so a carrier on the front of the trailer isn't my first choice either. A swingout of some sort makes sense I think. I'm also looking at whether or not I can fit one underneath the trailer.

Anyway, please share some photos and experiences. Thank you.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Head to the local pick your parts and look at the hangers on pick ups and SUV's.
I have seen a few that use cable reels under neith and they work well as long as the tire tucks into the frame.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Just remember you are talking about a lot of weight, especially if hanging it on the rear. If the trailer is not balanced (IE axle location), it can cause many heart aches. Also the lower you can get it is the best. But having a frame that is 10-11 inches thick is not normal, so there is a good likelihood of it hitting on the bottom. I would try to mount it in front of the axle on one of the sides. I think that is the safest for a trailer already in existence.

Bob

XJINTX

Explorer
Kind of a tangent but I changed my trailer tires to match my Jeep and I only carry one spare on my jeep on the bumper swing out carrier. Longer trips a second does go on the trailer in a hitch carrier but I don't yet have a tailgate on it. That is in the works ;)

Box Rocket

Bump. I understand all the concerns with weight and keeping proper tongue weight and matching wheels/tires on the trailer to the truck so I don't need another spare.

Still looking for photos of different ways people are carrying spare tires on their trailers.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Rear receiver mount, could make it a fold down with a little fab work.

Attachments

• M416%2010.jpg
    M416%2010.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 73

klb67

Observer
Other than on the trailer hitch (fixed, swing out, swing down) or vehicle above the hitch, or roof, I wonder if you could tuck a spare under the trailer/can mount in front of the axle? I assume you want the same sized spare? Could a same diameter but thinner tire to save a few inches of ground clearance be good enough? Not ideal, certainly.

I contemplated doing a simple plate with a few studs mounted to the frame cross member to store my spare under the tire, but I don't have a ton of ground clearance on my trailer, and even the smaller tires I have would have placed the spare too close to the ground.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Adam,

My Outlander Sherpa II has a swing out carrier for my spare. All things considered, I am glad I got that option. The only thing that I regret is not having a lockable pin system to keep it locked open. I have since solved this problem by having Atomic Fabworks fab up a locking pull pin system...I'll post pics when I can.

Regards,

BWJ

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I mounted it under the trailer itself (towards the front). It hangs down a bit, but is still 5-6" higher than the lowest part of the truck.

Not the easiest place to get to, but well out of the way, and it doesn't impede the access into the trailer.

I would be concerned that it would be a major pain at the rear of the trailer, thinking about how many times you get in and out of it. One of the reasons I probably wont have one on the truck.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Adventure Trailers used to sell their swingout mount that was compatible with tailgates. I imagaine that they still do.

TheJosh

Explorer
Head to the local pick your parts and look at the hangers on pick ups and SUV's.
I have seen a few that use cable reels under neith and they work well as long as the tire tucks into the frame.

this is the exact idea ive had for a few months and since the bottom of my frame sits 30" above the ground i have plenty of clearance.

Box Rocket

Thank you for the responses. Keep them coming.

Here's my trailer to give you an idea what I'm dealing with. This picture shows it with 315 75R16 tires on it to match my Cruiser.

From the side you can see that the axle is slightly rear biased so I have had adequate tongue weight and it has always towed like a dream.

I recently changed the wheel/tire combo to some 33" tires to match my tacoma. The trailer now has my old 33x10.50s which being narrower could possibly fit underneath the trailer, but the tires are also smaller so I've lost a bit of ground clearance.

The spare

At this point I am still leaning to a swingout that is tucked tight against the tailgate. I'd hate to upset the towing behavior but I think there is enough tongue weight that it might be ok.

Arlo

Adventurer
Just pics you asked for.

14397259ce.jpg

14397260nu.jpg

14397261ms.jpg

14397262nu.jpg

14397263bp.jpg

14397264wy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members