2000 miles of nervous nirvana....

onetraveller

Adventurer
So what about NOT taking a cooler? It would require a non-refrigeration menu for the snow-wheeling portion of the trip. Anyone have any good, quick, meal ideas that don't require a lot of prep/cook time?

Mountain House. No refrigeration needed. Just water and fire.

Mike

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
7 days till I leave for this crazy trip....EEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!!

Everything seems to be going pretty well. I have a few projects I would like to get done before I leave, I need to start organizing, and then I need to start packing!

I have been driving the Willys to work every day can pretty much. No issues so far. I do have a few buzzes and rattles that I would like to eliminate in the pursuit of long term sanity over two thousand miles but it should be a big deal either way.

teleturns

Adventurer
There is an awesome burger joint in Hamilton, MT that you have to stop at. It is called Nap's Grill. We were on a wildfire assignment up there last August and discovered the little joint. One of the best burgers ever! It all made sense to me when I saw how tall the grass was in MT and how big the cows were. Compared to New Mexico's free range skeletor cattle it was an eye opener.

Need a passanger with good mechanics skills?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Dang right Naps has a good burger. I grew up just over the hill in Idaho, Naps is WELL known to my tummy!

Passenger space is limited unfortunately. You could build your own flat fender and tag along. You have like 7 days....should be plenty of time.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have started trying to organize more stuff for the trip......

My MV50 electric compressor found a home under the passenger seat. Fit like I planned it to go that way.....I didn't.

Rear storage so far. 19 gallon main fuel tank behind the seats. Plywood cover on the rear floor section. 3- 5-gallon NATO/euro style fuel cans. The 'large' storage box will be for grub. The small storage box will be for 'kitchen' supplies......stove, dishes, silverware, etc. My large tow strap is on the right of the fuel cans. Everything can be strapped down very easy from the B to C-pillar spreader bars. The pass storage box is getting spare fluids. The drivers storage box is getting overflow at this point.

Trying to find some space for heavier stuff along the passengers seat. I need to find a way to strap, tie, tape this stuff down. There is a nice long prybar along the body, the spare rear driveshaft, and a small bottle jack. My jumper cables ( and battery welding cables :evil: ), recovery kit, and spare parts kit still need to find a home up front around the passenger seat. I am trying to stick a lot of the heavier stuff over there. I also need to find some room for water.....I might just have to buy a case of small bottles and hide them :) I need to build a fire extinguisher mount on the front of the tunnel too......

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Looks great. I have found, in many circumstances, that keeping water in several small containers, like you suggested with bottles, is extremely convenient and an easy way to carry much more water than you would otherwise. If you just grab a case of 20 oz. bottles, and start stashing, you will find them all a home before you realize it.

Great thread, thanks for continuing to share it.

John

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Wait a minute! Your in a military vehicle and don't know what to eat? Why...
MREs of course! hahaha!
Meals rejected by everyone, how fitting! ;) At least the current ones have meal heaters. The ones I broke my teeth (almost literally) on when I first came in didn't have them. And trying to eat a near frozen Ham slice was dangerous! But all things considered they seem fitting to the journey and would technically keep you alive. Not many die from killing their taste buds! lol!

It would take care of the problem of having to stop and take a crap too. I remember when we first got the meal heaters, it was awesome. The tobasco sauce was necessary too. Sounds like a fun trip, looking forward to reading about it and seeing the pictures. Drive safe.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I leave tomorrow after work!

It was a busy weekend and I didn't take many pictures of the packing....

The little guy is 90% loaded, fueled, and ready to go. I still have my personal gear bag to pack and stick in the front seat. All in all I am pretty happy with the amount of stuff I got wedged in the little thing without it looking like a gypsy mobile or something out of a Mad Max movie....ok......little bit of Mad Max.

How the gear storage breaks down.....

-Roll of gear on the cowl. This has a camp chair rolled up in a foam sleeping pad rolled up in a super heavy duty 10x10 tarp. The roll is a little larger than I would have liked but not a huge issue. This really got a lot of bulk out of the cabin space.

-Around the front passenger seat. Recovery gear bag fit under the seat along with my mv50 electric compressor. The recovery gear is in a small canvas bag and includes a tree strap, 1 large shackle, 2 small shackles, a snatch block, and a 4' section of chain with a hook on one end. The spare rear drivesahft is tucked next to the seat on the outside along with a long skinny funnel, long prybar, and the spare parts/fix it bag. The tool bag goes in front of the passenger seat on the floor. My personal gear bag, my large backpack, goes in the passenger seat.

-The center console has all the stuff I want locked up. There is room under it for some misc gear.

-The glove box got filled up with stuff like rain gear, my jet kit for the carb, tire gauge, gloves, hats, schmag, etc.

-The rear cargo area is full but not super packed. 3 fuel can all nestled in there. My large tow strap. The jumper cables are in there own bag tucked behind the 'kitchen' boxs. The smaller box is kitchen stuff....stove, spork, salt/pepper, and my camp kit. The larger box is for food. I pre-prepped most of the food for the snow-wheeling in the backcountry part of the trip. All the food is non-refrigerated stuff.

-Both rear tool boxes are full. All the spare fluids are in the passenger box. All the misc overflow stuff got stowed in the drivers side box.

-The bottle jack got relocated under the hood on the drivers fender into a custom bracket.

Fun stuff! I hope I can sleep tonight. I will try and get some more pictures of the thing all packed up. On the road about 5pm tomorrow!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have decided to start a blog for this adventure. I think it will be the easiest way to update to the web from my super phone during the trip, in one place that anyone can watch. I will try and update as often as I can. I imagine for the snow-wheeling portion of the trip I will be out of coverage but if I happen to get into some coverage I will pop a surprise picture or two up onto the blog.

I don't know if I will be able to respond to comments on the road but I will try.

If anyone wants to forward a post from the blog to this thread feel free.

Here is the blog addy....

2000 Miles of Nervous Nirvana

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
"The glove box got filled up with stuff like rain gear, my jet kit for the carb, tire gauge, gloves, hats, schmag, etc"

I like the cut of your Jib! Good on you.... may fair weather always be with you during your travels.

The quoted sentence speaks volumes about your unique adventure... ie. stuff you'll need close at hand.
What's a schmag?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
"The glove box got filled up with stuff like rain gear, my jet kit for the carb, tire gauge, gloves, hats, schmag, etc"

I like the cut of your Jib! Good on you.... may fair weather always be with you during your travels.

The quoted sentence speaks volumes about your unique adventure... ie. stuff you'll need close at hand.
What's a schmag?

Thank you.

I suck at spelling. The correct spelling would be Shemagh. Think super large bandanna you can use use for just about anything.....neck wrap, head wrap, keep the sand out of your mouth, towel, snot rag, splint, triangle bandage, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles