Flex Propane Line in Trailers

jcook5003

Guys.

I'm remodeling the living quarters of my horse trailer. They are about 12' long and 8' wide. I moved the kitchen from the side to the rear wall of the trailer. The propane is currently supplied via black pipe under the trailer with soft copper stubs going to the other appliances.

My question: can I simply tee at one of the other appliances and use this line to route propane to the rear of the living quarters?

Flex Propane Line

I need about 25' just like this. Is would be routed along the floor and in existing chases. My question is with so many warnings and ideas floating around the web I'm very confused about what is and what isn't ok inside RVs or at all.

Thanks for any help.
Josh

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Well, Josh, you get to decide whether to do it exactly right or whether to do it more practically. The standard is that the propane has to be isolated from the living quarters AND all of the connections except the final one at the appliance are supposed to be made in this isolated area (either in an open compartment or in a vented propane locker). Any tees, manifolds, etc. have to be in the locker or compartment. The only connections you're supposed to have in the living space is the single connection for each appliance at the appliance, and you never get to tee into a line in the living space. (And, in addition, there's supposed to be a way to shutoff the flow to all lines in the locker/compartment.)

This sometimes takes considerable dedication to doing it right. For example, if you had a propane fridge sitting next to a propane heater sitting next to a propane cooktop, and they were all 25 feet from the propane locker, "they" want you to run three different 25 foot hoses, one for each appliance. This is expensive, a hassle, and probably overkill, but it's best practice.

I'm going to guess you may decide it's OK to do something easier. If/when you do, the flex hose kit you found is fine, but unless that's just the length you need (sounds like it's too long), you might want to consider using shorter pre-made rubber propane hoses to make the connections at the appliances after the tee, as that'll give you more flexibility, plus they'll be less chance for problems with their integrity versus doing it with the flex hose if you have to shorten it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier