Awnings fill with water?

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Does anyone else have an issue with their awning enclosures filling with water when it rains and the awning is not deployed? I was under the impression these can be left on all the time, but if I park outside this is apparently not the case? Luckily I caught it before the mold got started.

Ramjet

Explorer
Some but not all have a gutter that is built in. I know my Foxwing has a piece of fabric you put in as you roll it up that funnels the water out.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
What kind of awning?

CVT

Figure a way to either lift or lower a corner...It's not rocket science...

And I'm not a fricking idiot either. If it was that simple I had done it. It's a rolled up fabric awning, in a tarp type cover, the water is getting in the cover and it held at least a gallon going up to the zipper line. Even if it drained out the wet fabric would still mold because it could not dry.

This is the best pic I have of it on the rear of my trailer - just lowering and end will not keep water out. I guess I will have to make a metal cover for it.

557523_10151384430078294_1320660861_n.jpg

Xterabl

Adventurer
Cutting holes, properly located with respect to gravitational forces, usually will let water out and allow drying. YMMV.
Also, you could try years of waterproofing chemical tests. But like I said...years.
But the metal cover is really a good idea; or maybe no cover at all for a rear-mounted job...and yeah, maybe just scrap the zippered bag.
Unless there is a wind drag or other issue, letting these things air dry (especially at freeway speeds) is the best approach.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Do you know where the water is getting in?
On my camper the cover for the awning is a bag and the zipper is on the bottom. The camper sits outside all year and the awning never gets wet in the bag. Can you orient the zipper so it faces down or have a flap sewn on the bag so that water can't get to the zipper??
Darrell

mike r

Adventurer
Did you try zipping front to back instead of back to front, I have a cvt and have never had this problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles