New Ruggedized Android Tablet with GPS/FRS/Radio and a solar charger. Meet Earl.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I like it. I am thinking about ordering one as well. Unlike others, I don't like using my phone for that kind of use, too small and so far the gps apps suck for true offroad use. I am curious as to how the radio system works, is there a bluetooth handset or does it plug in via the USB?

Plus with it being Android based, you can download the Garmin Street Navigation system (Nuvi style) for highway driving. I currently use my six year old Nuvi as my onroad/offroad GPS. I like having a dedicated GPS for both the street and offroad use.

Jack

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Interesting to say the least.
I haven't tried to use my Galaxy S4 for off-road navigation yet...yet.

robgendreau

Explorer
Very cool! I was thinking of getting a good trail GPS like the Garmin Montana, but at $500 that's a little pricey. This is only $250 and maybe I can get Android apps that handle all the GPS trail map functions of a Montana plus a lot more (I really like that it's also an e-reader with e-Ink and I can relax and enjoy some books while camped out on the trail). What do you guys think, could this be a valid replacement for a good trail GPS like a Montana or Oregon?

Meh. A black and white display? Sure, there are some advantages, but if I wanted that I'd go back to my Palm. OTOH you can probably use some good Android apps with it, so maybe it would be worth it. But I couldn't see what maps they do have; you can get the USGS 24k maps for free with PDF-Maps, which is now in beta for Android. These guys charge you an extra $50 for that. And can you use other maps, like USFS topos, USFS rec maps, BLM, the open maps, aerial photos, etc?

Kohburn

Adventurer
the advantages of e-ink displays is very low power consumption and great sunlight visibility - the downside is lack of color.

If it sounds to good to be true...........

......It usually is. This looks more and more like it's all been a scam... :Wow1: Too bad too. I would have seriously considered buying one of these.

http://www.meetearl.com/#features

Open Question 3 hours old
No contact, info or updates
With no updates in over a month, a defunct forum and absolutely no contact from the Earl Team via Twitter, email or the contact form here on the site, the only conclusion I can make is that this product is vapor and the company plans to take the money and run.
As an early backer, I’m sorry to see this happen, it looked like a great product. Maybe I’m wrong, but at this point, I have no recourse but to dispute the charge with my bank.
Scot10

RubiChris

Observer
They sent out a message via Twitter a couple days ago that they were going to post an update today.....however, their site forum has been down at least the last two days. Their latest Tweet says they are aware the site is down and are trying to get it back up. Hmmmmm

It seems, at least on the business end, to be in over their heads. I understand bumps in the road when developing a new product (and being a start up) but the lack of communication is just poor business practice.

I think it is a great idea and I hope it succeeds.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
They sent out a message via Twitter a couple days ago that they were going to post an update today.....however, their site forum has been down at least the last two days. Their latest Tweet says they are aware the site is down and are trying to get it back up. Hmmmmm

It seems, at least on the business end, to be in over their heads. I understand bumps in the road when developing a new product (and being a start up) but the lack of communication is just poor business practice.

I think it is a great idea and I hope it succeeds.

I agree and see no reason to give up on them yet, I hope they get it all worked out.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
People put $1000 down and waited over 2 years for Adventure Trailers to build the Habitat top....for a crowd source funded start up that has moved from India to China I think they are doing alright.
I would rather they focus on building the thing right the first time than hanging out on a forum.

It is like I tell families at the hospital....no news is good news and would you rather the surgeon work on your family member's brain or come out and chat with you?

RubiChris

Observer
The silence has been deafening......I hope no news is good news...if it ends up as promised it will be a nice addition to any gadget-loving outdoorman's gear.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Back online today -

http://www.meetearl.com/updates/

LONG OVERDUE, BUT STILL ON TRACK

I would like to personally apologize to each of you for the lack of communication. There is no excuse for our silence and we can only hope to reestablish your trust through an improved system of interaction from here on out.

When I decided to dedicate myself to this project over two years ago, I knew there would be challenges and difficulties. I surrounded myself with good people and worked tirelessly to get the crowdfunding off the ground. With so much momentum and support, we were eager to get into final development and production. Unfortunately, we underestimated the resources required for social media relations following our campaign. This was a mistake on our part. The overwhelming volume of support and suggestions was tremendous and helpful, but we didn't have the resources to address every comment. And once personal threats, allegations of fraud and claims of misuse of funds started rolling in, we had to step back and reevaluate the best way to move forward. Granted, a lot of this could have been avoided with more frequent and consistent communication; this is obvious now. To put it simply, we were overwhelmed and handled the situation incorrectly. We sincerely apologize and pledge to improve the dialogue with those willing to be patient with us. We hope you will give us an opportunity to earn your support again.

To address the recent issues with our website and forum, we want to assure all of you that we have never deleted any comments on our page or forum and have never had any intentions of going offline. Though it may not seem like it, we are listening to your feedback and it's an invaluable resource for our development process. Your voices have been heard, and we want to turn a fresh page with the community. We've been trying to get the old forum back up since it went down. It's still intact, with each and every comment, but for some reason is failing our servers diagnostics checks. If we can't get it back up in the next couple days, we'll launch another one temporarily. Either way, we give our word to be more active in the forum and give you proper regular updates.

As we mentioned in our last update, we have enlisted an engineering firm in Guangzhou, China to produce Earl. While they currently manufacture devices that run on Android 4.0 and the i.MX6 platform, Earl is a unique tablet that requires extensive engineering to include the additional sensors and radios. With so many components, placement is key and RF interference is a major obstacle. Fortunately, our new partners have a dedicated RF team to make sure we address each issue before sending Earl off to be certified. We are trying to create a device that is unprecedented and they have stepped up to the task. However, this process is going to take more time than we anticipated. At this time, we estimate that manufacturing will start around the beginning of January. I'll be living in Shenzhen for the duration of development so I can be close to our engineers and approve/test each revision of Earl. This will shave off a couple of revisions and save time, but we want to make sure every component in Earl meets our requirements. Again, we know this is last thing you all want to hear. But Earl WILL be worth the wait!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I am ok waiting till January....I put up my money since I want to see this product in the market and this is a brave new way of making cool things happen.
Good to hear from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94