New Ruggedized Android Tablet with GPS/FRS/Radio and a solar charger. Meet Earl.

vdeal

Observer
Interesting idea but still limited to 32°F. Maybe they need to build in a warmer. :sombrero:

shov3lbum

Adventurer
I like the idea, looks like it could really take off if the funding increases. They're at $85K of $200K right now, with only month to go I hope they make it! I like the idea of a shortwave radio being included in a tablet, heck, I think including a fm/am radio and two way radio in a tablet is nonetheless something pretty cool in and of itself!

Hope others can get on board for an affordable rugged tablet that can even charge itself.

haven

Expedition Leader
Earl gps navi tablet $249

The Earl GPS map and navigation device was recently announced.
http://www.meetearl.com/

earl-gps.jpg

Specifications from the web site

6 inch 1024x768 grayscale e-ink LCD
… flexible, sunlight readable
infrared touchscreen works with gloves on

videos of the Earl tablet in development
http://www.meetearl.com/updates/

7.2 x 4.75 x 0.6 inches
10.8 oz

case is water, dust and shock proof
Rated ok for 30 minutes in 3 meters of water

1 GHz dual core Cortex-A9 processor
… processor is Freescale i.MX 6
Android 4.1 OS
1 GB RAM, 16 GB
micro SD slot for memory expansion

WiFi and Bluetooth for connection to Internet

3000 mAh battery provides 20 hour runtime
onboard solar panel recharges battery in 5 hours

GPS and GLONASS receiver

FRS, GMRS and MURS radio transceiver
AM/FM/SW/LW radio with timer recording feature
… these frequencies are used in North America
… European and Australia/New Zealand versions coming

1000 mW waterproof speaker

comes pre-loaded with 1:100,000 resolution topo base maps
… covers Canada, USA and Mexico

add 1:24,000 resolution base maps on micro SD card for $50

free maps from EveryTrail.com http://www.everytrail.com/

As an Android tablet, the Earl should be able to use maps from other sources
... supports ePub, Mobi and PDF e-reader formats, GPX and KML map overlays

pre-order at $249 (30% off retail)
delivery expected to start in August
no questions, fast replacement warranty

robgendreau

Explorer
Umm, why? This unit seems to duplicate many things we probably already have. And I suspect like all mash-ups probably does many things in a mediocre way rather than one or two things well. Any modern phone will do most of what it does, except for the non-cell radio (external antenna?) and weather sensors. But it's also kinda big. On the other hand, it's cheaper than the Garmin Rino, which does many of the same things.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I was just reading about it. I really like the idea considering that price range it seems very capable and I like the android openness. The non color screen has me a little worried but who knows it may be sufficient.

haven

Expedition Leader
"Any modern phone will do most of what it does..."

Except being waterproof, having a 6 inch sunlight visible screen, having a touchscreen that works with gloves (infrared vs capacitive touch), including a GMRS/FRS radio and 1 watt speaker, having a 20 hour runtime, and including a solar cell for recharges.

Is this a mashup of existing technologies? Sure.

shov3lbum

Adventurer
Earl is now past it's goal and is fully funded! Can expect to see units shipping out in August! Pre-order by June 9 if you want the good price!

105% funded; 843 backers; $262k of $250k goal; 16 days left to get 30% discounted buy.

http://www.meetearl.com/

NetDep

Adventurer
I am a believer and (pre)ordered mine two weeks ago!! I am very excited about this -- and yes, your phone might be able to do much of that but only when you have cell coverage. This is part of a multi-part solution for me -- SatPhone, SPOT, GPS in the truck, Garmin 62S handdheld, paper maps & compass.....and there is a cool factor to the www.meetearl.com.....

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I am a believer and (pre)ordered mine two weeks ago!! I am very excited about this -- and yes, your phone might be able to do much of that but only when you have cell coverage. This is part of a multi-part solution for me -- SatPhone, SPOT, GPS in the truck, Garmin 62S handdheld, paper maps & compass.....and there is a cool factor to the www.meetearl.com.....

I plonked down for one too...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
well I have been following ol' earl and just dropped some coin on one
looking forward to giving it a workout and very happy to see that OziExplorer has an Android version so I can use all my trusty maps I already have.

wgyouree

KK6LZW
Very cool! I was thinking of getting a good trail GPS like the Garmin Montana, but at $500 that's a little pricey. This is only $250 and maybe I can get Android apps that handle all the GPS trail map functions of a Montana plus a lot more (I really like that it's also an e-reader with e-Ink and I can relax and enjoy some books while camped out on the trail). What do you guys think, could this be a valid replacement for a good trail GPS like a Montana or Oregon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier