Cleaning Kinetic Rope

fishEH

Explorer
I have a 1" x 30' Kinetic Rope from MasterPull. It's pretty filthy. It was put away wet and has a "funk" to it.
What's the best way to clean them? Can I throw it in the washing machine and air dry it? Soap, no soap? Pressure washer?

Eventhough

Explorer
I typically soak them in warm water for a looong time when they are really dirty, moving them around with my hands for a little "washing machine" action. Replace the water several times if they are really dirty. I've replaced dirty water over half a dozen times before. You can add some light detergent such as Woolite but most of the time some warm water serves me well. While these lines are tough and some heavier soap and even some direct water action done correctly wouldn't hurt I haven't needed to go that far before. Once clean lay them out in the sun to dry - rotating and flipping several times because the line is thick and needs help drying.

montecarlo31

I had that happen a few times as well and the funk was killing me when I opened my toolbox. I finally would just stretch it from the ball of one truck to the ball of another (so there was sag but it wasn't touching the ground if that makes sense? Then I would use my garden hose and wash it, then rotate it and wash it again then I would let it dry hanging in the garage looped on the end of the garage door tracks. I didn't want to keep it outside in the nasty FL sun to be broken down by UV light.

Note my is like 2" by 30' so not sure if the extra thickness hurt me more than you?

RangeBrover

Explorer
I had that happen a few times as well and the funk was killing me when I opened my toolbox. I finally would just stretch it from the ball of one truck to the ball of another (so there was sag but it wasn't touching the ground if that makes sense? Then I would use my garden hose and wash it, then rotate it and wash it again then I would let it dry hanging in the garage looped on the end of the garage door tracks. I didn't want to keep it outside in the nasty FL sun to be broken down by UV light.

Note my is like 2" by 30' so not sure if the extra thickness hurt me more than you?

This is almost exactly what I do, I'll usually let it soak first in a bucket of water with some dawn dish soap for a day. Then I'll lay it down on my driveway and hose it out a few times on each side. I'm not to worried about the UV exposure though because I like my dry in the sun.

fishEH

Explorer
Well I'm stubborn so I stuck it in the washing machine. But I put it inside an old hooded sweatshirt first. Balanced the load with some Tshirts and it came out great.

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
be careful of the dry dirt inside the rope. It will act as an abrasive and micro-cut the rope fibers weakening the breaking strength.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Well I'm stubborn so I stuck it in the washing machine. But I put it inside an old hooded sweatshirt first. Balanced the load with some Tshirts and it came out great.

Good idea, I never considered this. Now I just have to explain to the wife why I've got 30ft of strap in her washer.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I typically soak them in warm water for a looong time when they are really dirty, moving them around with my hands for a little "washing machine" action. Replace the water several times if they are really dirty. I've replaced dirty water over half a dozen times before. You can add some light detergent such as Woolite but most of the time some warm water serves me well. While these lines are tough and some heavier soap and even some direct water action done correctly wouldn't hurt I haven't needed to go that far before. Once clean lay them out in the sun to dry - rotating and flipping several times because the line is thick and needs help drying.

Basically, this is the way I've cleaned canyoneering ropes that come home grungy. I use a big plastic trash can as I'm usually dealing with something much longer than 30'.

I'd be concerned that something like a pressure washer could drive dirt deeper into the rope, and as already mentioned grit inside the rope is bad news.

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
I don't recommend using harsh cleaners like degreasers. Chemicals can damage rope fibers depending on the manufacture of the rope.

Simple Green is marketed as non-toxic and biodegradable. Also, if you buy the fancy expensive "rope cleaner" products from many of the climbing companies, they actually have the same ingredients (in fact, the exact same MSDS) as Simple Green.

madmax718

Explorer
dawn is good. It cuts through the grease from cars, etc. to let the dirt out. Simple green is much harsher. Heck they use dawn on animals to clean them.

Costman13

Adventurer
Lots of fresh water. No cleaners needed. We usually camel back the line over an object (such as a fence, or in my case, life lines on a boat), and use a hose at full pressure to wash the crud out of it. Leave it high enough off the ground as not to pick any new debris up. Do this several times and you will be amazed at how much dirt comes out of it. Also they tend to dry much better when hanging.

These "kinetic" lines are nothing more than double braided nylon / polyester mooring line, used quite commonly on boats. There is no need for special cleaners and the like, IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne