From Russia with Love: A Ural Gear-Up Project

Scott Brady

Founder
I just can't resist funky cool old vehicles, so we decided to pick-up our first vintage (but new) motorcycle, a Russian-built Ural Gear-up. I have ridden these a few times, and on each occasion I started to like it more, and not because of some awesome performance characteristic, but just because it is fun to ride. It also helps that my wife Stephanie and my dog Atlas really like a side-hack too.
922743_10151889837888275_239025909_n.jpg

935236_10151874715928275_1176511393_n.jpg

So, we decided it would be fun to have one for bouncing around Prescott and the local forest trails, trips to the coffee shop and general shenanigans. The Ural is the perfect shenanigan enabler.

310063_10151872817843275_1706654239_n.jpg

Of course, there are lots of specifications, but those really don't matter. I laugh and smile when I ride it. My wife laughs and smiles when she rides in it. Sold.

There are a could practical things I really like about it, like the lockable trunk, which I use to store my briefcase for the trip to work. It also has a kick start, which you would think would be really difficult to use, given the 750cc twin, but it turns over muy easy. That is most likely because of the 8:1 compression ratio - perfect for drum fuel in Copper Canyon! So far, the only thing I really wish was better is the first gear. It only has a 4-speed transmission and it REALLY needs a lower first gear for even moderate trail use. You have to be pretty hard on the (dry) clutch when picking through ruts and rock, etc. Oh, and it has reverse, which is pretty styling and not something I realized for a few days - bonus.

For modifications, we are planning to play around with it a bit, just to personalize the machine and maybe improve the dirt performance some. A tire upgrade is planned, along with some investigation on lower gearing. Maybe a scabbard for an AK47. Otherwise, I just plan to ride it a lot. Can't wait for the nephews to visit. . .

Willman

Nicely done Scott. Reverse i bet was a plus!

Every time i get the OJ...The Ural add always brings be to sit at the computer and look up the bike.

Wonder if i could get 2 seat belts in there for the kidos?

AK47? 50 Cal. mount would for the passenger would do the trick....jk.

Look forward to your findings. Next time you take her...Take the GoPro out and share a video with us.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the hack club. They are fun and out of 5 bikes and 2 vehicles it is the one I head to first every time except if I want something in a hurry. There will always be someone stopping to talk to you about it.

Make sure you have a play with the kick start. I have not bothered with a charged battery in my rig for the last 5 years. 1 or 2 kicks is all it takes and that looks cooler at the the grand daughters school or Starbucks :)

Scott Brady

Founder
Make sure you have a play with the kick start. I have not bothered with a charged battery in my rig for the last 5 years. 1 or 2 kicks is all it takes and that looks cooler at the the grand daughters school or Starbucks :)

Impressive how easy it is to start. I have nearly gone into cardiac arrest trying to start a KTM450, but this 750 fires right up. I wish more bikes had a kickstarter. I remember Brian Dearmon charging my KTM battery nearly every morning on the TAT to get it to fire over.

Scott Brady

Founder
Wonder if i could get 2 seat belts in there for the kidos?

Interesting question Will. I thought about that and came to the conclusion that in the really unfortunate likelihood of an accident, you would want everyone thrown clear of the bike and sidecar. I wonder if anyone has installed seatbelts in these of it there is a general outlook on them.

grimbo

Explorer
I must say if I was to get a bike the Ural looks like the one to do it. It just looks right and a heck of a lot of fun

Scott Brady

Founder
Well, it couldn't stay stock for long. A quick preview of some of the new parts. From my perspective, if I could only have one thing different about the Ural, it would be a lower first gear. All this thing needs is 25-30% lower gearing in first and it would be darn near perfect. A 5-speed would be money, leaving all the current gears alone and having a really low first. Of course, I can make it all work, but it puts a lot of work on the clutch (dry).

New headlight! Military technology LED. Modern, brighter and lower amp draw, but fits the personality of the Ural IMO.
946900_10151899138708275_148913677_n.jpg

And some new tires - odd buying four REAR 19" tires for the same moto :)
972193_10151899135328275_1780715599_n.jpg

More details soon, we are all packing up for the Overland Expo

ColinTheCop

Adventurer
My first trip with in the dirt with the Ural. A fun day celebrating my 20th wedding anniversary with Steph and our pup Atlas

Photo%202013-05-09%2008.02.41%20PM.jpg

Out of curiosity, does a passenger in the sidecar need to wear a helmet Stateside....? Probably a good idea too, but here in the UK, on a sidecar outfit, the rider must wear one, a pillion must wear one, but someone sitting in the sidecar is exempt from wearing a helmet.

Scott Brady

Founder
In Arizona, neither the rider, pillion or sidecar passenger are required to wear a helmet. However, the sidecar rider can carry a loaded AK47...

This is still the wild west

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne