The Domino Effect............................

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Thanks all!

I am in Oakmont, Pa. 10 miles north of Pittsburgh.
Erie " Crawford County area" is my second home.
My family has a cottage on French Creek.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Nice looking trailer Mark. What a turn around for an old trailer, plus if it helps get you out more often it's worth it.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The trailer pulled well at speed with the larger tires.
I hauled the canoe back to the cottage after a several mile float down French Creek.

The trailer loads easy with one person and I now can store jackets, seats and cushions in the diamond plate box.
Still need to mount four quick fist clamps to hold the paddles.

Lots of talk at the launch ramp from other paddlers, They were interested in the simple design and one person loading.
"no roof top lifting needed" They also commented on how everything matched.........If they only knew my quarks on matching toys.

The trailer will make hauling the canoe and gear so much simpler and my girls and I will be on the water more this year now.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 24

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
My girls love to paddle and fight to ride in the bow seat.
Maybe I should get a rowing shell and we can all row?

navigator

Adventurer
My girls love to paddle and fight to ride in the bow seat.
Maybe I should get a rowing shell and we can all row?
Get one to row in the front and get one to row in the back and you sit in the middle and FISH!
I love this, I have a 16ft aluminum monark canoe on an old trailer and of course if I leave it right side up, it fills with water.
This is a great idea that I might have to try.

hesterj

Adventurer
I swear Mark, you must be a vampire. Obviously you never sleep...and this lust for all things red. :)

It turned out great looking. How far does the canoe stick out in the back? Do the local boys give you any grief about just the red rag?

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Nicely done on the trailer but on to more important things...So did you float from Cambridge Springs to Seagertown or Meadville to Cochranton? How was the water level? About every other creek other than the Allegheny is getting to low to paddle but I haven't checked out French Creek this year yet. If the water is still up I might have to throw the 'yaks in for a float this weekend.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Hello Haggis:

Cambridge to Venango the water was up some due to rain several days before.
We did scrape on some rocks where side creeks washed into the French, but mostly a smooth ride.
It was cold and the turtles were hiding. Heron and Geese were our only sightings.

Did you sell the 101a1 frame yet?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I swear Mark, you must be a vampire. Obviously you never sleep...and this lust for all things red. :)

It turned out great looking. How far does the canoe stick out in the back? Do the local boys give you any grief about just the red rag?

It hangs over almost 7' No problems with the local law enforcement yet. I don't think I would fare well in rush hour traffic or tight turns.
I guarentee I could take out a Prius or smart car with that canoe tail.........

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Hello Haggis:

Cambridge to Venango the water was up some due to rain several days before.
We did scrape on some rocks where side creeks washed into the French, but mostly a smooth ride.
It was cold and the turtles were hiding. Heron and Geese were our only sightings.

Excellent...I might try a float from Cochranton to Franklin Saturday since its practically in my backyard. I'll have to check the gauge though but our 'yaks don't need as much water as your ocean liner.

Did you sell the 101a1 frame yet?

Nope, two guys say they want it, but nobody's forked over the cash yet. If it wasn't for the desire for a new creekin' kayak I'd go ahead and finish the project I had planned for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior