3rd Gen Toyota Pickup - Budget Expo Build

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
1655374_403620466462512_1053241736520678326_o.jpg

Just a few more months before we head to Costa Rica, pick up Red, and continue our journey south...

The Dangerz (www.thedangerz.com) just sent us this photo from when they were picking up their VW Bus. Nice to see the truck is still there and waiting patiently in the dust for our return!

vicali

Adventurer
soon... :costumed-smiley-007

Looking forward to your adventure continuing.. do you need someone to take pics of blue and send them south while you're away??
Maybe you should drive blue down and pick up red.. then you could each drive one~

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
soon... :costumed-smiley-007

Looking forward to your adventure continuing.. do you need someone to take pics of blue and send them south while you're away??
Maybe you should drive blue down and pick up red.. then you could each drive one~

Still not sure what's happening with the green truck. I may park it here... or if somebody offers me enough it'll be sold to help fund the trip.

REMOTEPLACES

Adventurer
Really looking forward to your continued adventures. We chatted a bit at the NWOR, really nice to meet the both of you....I suppose you will be gone for the 2015 rally,no? All the best!

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Really looking forward to your continued adventures. We chatted a bit at the NWOR, really nice to meet the both of you....I suppose you will be gone for the 2015 rally,no? All the best!

Yes, we'll be gone by the time the 2015 NW Overland Rally rolls around. Maybe 2017??

vicali

Adventurer
So what's the prep for second round look like? Anything planned for Red or are you going to just turn the key an drive off? ;)

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
So what's the prep for second round look like? Anything planned for Red or are you going to just turn the key an drive off? ;)
-
Essentially we're hoping to turn the key and drive off! We'll find somewhere close by to stop and do some routine maintenance though (oil/filter, fuel filter, air filter, rear diff fluid). I do have to replace a broken exhaust hanger at some point. The tailpipe is currently being held on by bailing wire...
-
I picked up a NOS tire hoist so I can put the spare under the bed again to free up space under the canopy. We also have a new ARB 1250 awning we want to mount off the back of the canopy, some additional LED lights for the RTT to install, 12V and USB Blue Sea sockets to install off the house battery, and other minor things, but none of those really need to get done immediately.
-
I also have to replace the hinges and cover for the RTT. I bent the hinges and ripped the cover when I drove the tent into some low-hanging guy wires off a bridge in Guatemala.
-
As far as I remember the only thing (other than the above repairs and maintenance) I would like to do at some point is put on a medium duty front bumper of some sort on it. It wasn't (isn't) in the budget, but having a little bit of extra protection would be awesome.
-
Most of the prep was done back home buying outerwear for cold climates. We had to spend some money on good down sleeping bags, jackets, etc. We were definitley not prepared for cold weather last time and learned our lesson at higher elevations. Parts of South America are going to be chilly!!
-
Oh, and we bought maps this time ;)

Last edited:

Chaser88

Observer
Looking forward to continue following your guys journey south! Love your pickup and love the stock decals! haha Keep up the great photos too!
Cheers
Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles