3rd Gen Toyota Pickup - Budget Expo Build

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
1" 4Crawler Body Lift Install

We finally got started on the build of our truck.

The first thing to do was to gain a little clearance for our new tires. We chose a small 4Crawler 1" body lift to do the trick. The other thing I like about a body lift is the increased clearance between the drive train and body.

Although the 4Crawler website looks like it was made in 1990 there are a ton of great parts available and a vast amount of Toyota tips and tricks that Roger (the owner) has learned over the years. The lift was under $100 and showed up on my doorstep (figuratively, as we live in a condo) a week later.

1" 4Crawler Body Lift Install:

I used Moovit Penetrating Lube the night before to spray all of the body mount bolts. I also hit the bumper and suspension bolts while I was at it since I knew all of those were coming apart sooner or later. I skimmed the instructions and laid out the parts. The big thing to remember is that not only are two front mounts are the smaller diameter blocks, but they also have a smaller diameter bolt hole than the bed blocks. They also use shorter bolts than the other cab mounts. Just ask me how I figured this one out... (apparently my skimming of the instructions should have been more thorough...).

8970550502_68d8872f2e_c.jpg

8970550580_19c96904b4_c.jpg

I jacked up the cab with a floor jack and 2x4s (to distribute the weight) and installed the body lift using the existing body mounts.

During this install I figured that I should clean up the chassis under the bed so I just removed the entire thing (hey, I was unbolting the whole thing anyway!). I removed the spare tire and mount and did a quick check for rust on the frame. Everything looked good so it got a fresh coat of satin-black before getting covered up again.

8970534716_644fc527fc_c.jpg

Once I dropped the bed back on I left all bolts hand tight only before lining up the bed and cab, then I tightened everything down.

The best part about the small lift was that there was almost no other modifications to the truck required to make this work. The steering shaft didn't need adjusting, the fan clears the shroud without issue, and I can redrill the front bumper mounts to match the original body lines. The only issue was that the shifter boots were binding and caused the tranny to pop out of 2nd and 4th gear. I redrilled (by 3/4") and shifted the shifter boot bezel back to solve this.

With 265/75R16 tires we have plenty of clearance now without having to take a sawzall to the fenders.

8970550438_777ce89e50_c.jpg

8970550304_3ff404a346_c.jpg

[video=vimeo;67620343]https://vimeo.com/67620343[/video]

Last edited:

soonenough

Explorer
That is such a cool vehicle, I'm really enjoying this so far. I liked the video, and actually laughed out loud at the malaria bit :sombrero:

Looking forward to more updates!

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Subscribed!
This will motivate me to post and do more for my toyota expo build.
Great looking truck and a solid choice for all around the world serviceability and capability. Stop through SD on your way to Mexico when you're done! We may join you!

Maybe we can get a little convoy going!! Should be down in Mexico in time to see the Baja 1000... that's the goal anyway.

dinoevo

Adventurer
If you are on such a tight budget, I wouldn't waste it on all the stuff you see on this forum. A lift and big tires are not necessarily needed. It looks cool I have to admit, but your stock vehicle is already capable enough to do this trip....easy. Just make sure you don't have any mechanical issues upfront as well as your suspension is in good shape (test it with FULLY loaded truck). With all the potholes ahead of you, that is one part which is going to suffer the most (incl. you back ;)
Good luck and have fun with the conversion.

p.s. We actually just came back to Vancouver from our two years trip down South.

Last edited:

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
If you are on such a tight budget, I wouldn't waste on all the stuff you see on this forum. A lift and big tires are not necessarily needed. It looks cool I have to admit, but your stock vehicle is already capable enough to do this trip....easy. Just make sure you don't have any mechanical issues upfront as well as your suspension is in good shape (test it with FULLY loaded truck). With all the potholes ahead of you, that is one part which is going to suffer the most (incl. you back ;)
Good luck and have fun with the conversion.

p.s. We actually just came back to Vancouver from our two years trip down South.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, our shocks are shot and our rear springs already really sag with just a little load so we'll be definitely replacing all springs and shocks. The real reason we're adding rock sliders is so we have lift points for our hi-lift jack. Other than that, the main thing we'll be working on in the short term is making sure the drive train is rock solid for the trip. Storage, living, and sleeping stuff will be sorted out last.

We've got about $1500 into the truck so far and if it was just a daily driver I'd definitely be keeping it as-is. The goal is to have it built for $7000. We'll see how much we can get done for that price!

Looks like I'll be spending some quality time looking through your blog today!! Let us know if you're interested in getting together for a coffee/beer, we'd love to hear about your trip! info@desktoglory.com

Richard

Last edited:
Great intro video. Curious about what you have planned for the living area...

Don't pay to much attention to DinoEvo, his build was quite extensive. Just kidding. You should definitely check out the DinoEvo build, some great ideas there.

I do agree with Dino on the maintenance stuff... figure out the weak points of the 22re and of your rig in general. Any maintenance it may need is essential, before any other mods. We just rebuilt the front knuckles and both front and rear breaks on our rig here in Bolivia. Granted we have been on the road 4 year driving a 26 year old rig. But I hope you get what I am trying to say :)

There is a cool thread here somewhere started by Ruined Adventures that details what some folks wish they would have brought/wish they would have left behind (here it is http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ou-wish-you-had-left-behind-What-did-you-need)

Hope you don't mind the unrequested advice. You will get contradicting advice from many of us, but what all PanAm vets will agree on is: "just drive it" ;) Glad you are sharing the prep of your trip with us.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Great intro video. Curious about what you have planned for the living area...

Don't pay to much attention to DinoEvo, his build was quite extensive. Just kidding. You should definitely check out the DinoEvo build, some great ideas there.

I do agree with Dino on the maintenance stuff... figure out the weak points of the 22re and of your rig in general. Any maintenance it may need is essential, before any other mods. We just rebuilt the front knuckles and both front and rear breaks on our rig here in Bolivia. Granted we have been on the road 4 year driving a 26 year old rig. But I hope you get what I am trying to say :)

There is a cool thread here somewhere started by Ruined Adventures that details what some folks wish they would have brought/wish they would have left behind (here it is http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ou-wish-you-had-left-behind-What-did-you-need)

Hope you don't mind the unrequested advice. You will get contradicting advice from many of us, but what all PanAm vets will agree on is: "just drive it" ;) Glad you are sharing the prep of your trip with us.

I've read through that thread a few times, it's been very helpful. I've also spent waaaaay too much time reading through the DinoEvo build.

I think it's difficult not overplanning or overbuilding the vehicle during your prep... it's the only thing (other than working and saving money) that you can do to get ready to leave. Luckily we've only got less than 4 months before we leave...

The advice is very much appreciated, but I'm definitely taking everything with a grain of salt! I'm just happy that I found the only forum on the internet that isn't going to tell me to put a solid axle in the truck! It's becoming obvious that the people who brought a lot of gear wish they had less and the people who had almost nothing wished they brought more. We're hoping to bring the minimum that we need to do what we want to do (it's still a little undetermined what that will end up being at this point...).

At the very least we're looking at a timing chain and metal guides for the 22re as well as all of the vital sensors and a general tune up. I'm still considering a full rebuild, but time will tell. Wear items like brakes, clutch, bearings and seals will most likely all be new before we leave as well. I'm hoping that if we fix as much as we can at home we'll put off repairs and maintenance while on the road. The drive train will definitely stay 100% stock.

We'll be putting a canopy on the truck and most likely using a Cascadia Vehicle Tent for sleeping quarters.

I started drafting a quick layout of what I'm thinking for the bed.
- We had decided against a fridge, but then we got offered a new 37qt ARB unit for significantly less than the cost of an Edgestar. Now we'll try to make friends with cold beer.

8980331177_5f34cc6444_c.jpg

Last edited:
Wait you don't have a solid front axle yet?! That is a must ;) Sorry, had to do it.

We almost drove my 2000 Tacoma, but once the Cruiser came around I sold the Taco and never looked back. I think your truck will be a great platform. We all have our must have items, I have been preparing a list for like 2 years and never get around to posting it...

I have always liked the BajaTaco Build check it if you have not http://www.bajataco.com/bajataco.html

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
I haven't seen the BajaTaco build before, thanks!

I was originally trying to persuade a buddy of mine to sell his 1984 BJ60 to us for this trip, but couldn't say no to the pickup when it showed up on the doorstep looking for a new home.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Today we drove down to Renton, WA to pick up a pallet of goodies from ARB. They have been very generous and given us a ridiculously good deal on this stuff. Ashley and I truly appreciate the fact that they are stoked about our plans and wanted to help in whatever way they could. Thank you again!!!

So, what'd we pick up??

Suspension:
1x 303003 - Torsion Bar Hilux/4Runner Pair
2x N98 - IFS 4Runner Front Shock
2x CS020R - Hilux/4Runner Heavy Duty Dakar Rear Spring
2x 60062 - Sport Shock Hilux/4Runner
2x OMESB43 - Bushing Kits
4x OMEU53B - U-Bolts
1x 181469 - OME Sleeve

9047532688_537557a846_c.jpg

9047531450_5b2002a237_c.jpg

9045306393_f1c6375a51_c.jpg

Awning:
1x ARB3111 - ARB Awning 2000

9045307391_623c6e9c76_c.jpg

Fridge:
1x 10800352 - ARB Fridge 37 Quart

9045307385_0db112c7df_c.jpg

Now I've got lots of parts to install!! I'll post up some more photos of the road trip and their shop on our blog in the near future!

:sombrero:

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Wow, makes me wish I would've given ARB a heads up before we headed south from WA...we could've saved a couple bucks! Looks like you made out okay :coffeedrink:

DinoEvo has some sound advice! Especially about your back...even though I replaced my seats with buckets from an SR5, I've already worn thru the bottom cushion and now I wish I would've swapped in junkyard seats from a Scion or a Prelude or something. Bolivia was PAINFUL. In regards to the heavier rear springs, I wish I would've gone that route instead of the lighter ones (or not at all and saved the money for street tacos).

VERY wise choice to do the timing chain and metal guides, that's another do-over that woulda shoulda coulda saved me coin and headache in Central America.

BajaTaco's build is epic, there's so many great ideas to borrow from him. You should also check out Youngunner's build for some canopy ideas.

I saw your "air compressor?" note on the schematic. If you tuck up some of the accessories under the hood, there's a good chance you can shoehorn a MV50 compressor under there and use the space for something else in the bed. We picked ours up for $50 and it's never let us down...I've found the more difficult it is to dig out an air compressor, the less likely you are to air down BEFORE you get stuck.

gGuOgl.jpg

But yeah, you should probably ignore me and just listen to Luis...it already looks like he's been whispering in your ear about RTT's and fridges. :sombrero:

Last edited:

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Wow, makes me wish I would've given ARB a heads up before we headed south from WA...we could've saved a couple bucks! Looks like you made out okay :coffeedrink:

Great call on the heavier rear springs, I wish I would've gone that route but I chose the light/medium ones. Also very wise with the timing chain and metal guides, that's another do-over that woulda shoulda coulda saved me coin and headache in Central America.

BajaTaco's build is epic, there's so many great ideas to borrow from him. You should also check out Youngunner's build for some canopy ideas.

I saw your "air compressor?" note on the schematic. If you tuck up some of the accessories under the hood, there's a good chance you can shoehorn a MV50 compressor under there and use the space for something else in the bed. We picked ours up for $50 and it's never let us down...I've found the more difficult it is to dig out an air compressor, the less likely you are to air down BEFORE you get stuck :sombrero:

View attachment 167354

We contacted a few companies asking about scratch and dent specials or demo gear and many have offered up some awesome discounts or donated parts to help us on our way. The off-road/overland community have welcomed us with open arms!

I like the price point of that compressor! We haven't picked on up yet, so we may go that route. Good call on accessibility on the compressor (and other extraction equipment). In the past I've kept all of my tow straps, hi-lift, shovel, etc buried under the rest of the gear. That usually meant that we were stuck AND all of our camping gear was dumped out of the truck to access something that we needed to get out.

Oooh, Youngunner's build looks awesome. Guess I've got some reading to catch up on...

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
We contacted a few companies asking about scratch and dent specials or demo gear and many have offered up some awesome discounts or donated parts to help us on our way. The off-road/overland community have welcomed us with open arms!
Great to hear. It's nice to see the discounts go to someone who will actually use them for their designed purpose :smiley_drive:

Great preview of your storage ideas by the way...one question, what's going to go in the cab behind your seats? Is that where you're putting the Scepter water and fuel cans or are you building a lock box there for valuables?

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Great to hear. It's nice to see the discounts go to someone who will actually use them for their designed purpose :smiley_drive:

Great preview of your storage ideas by the way...one question, what's going to go in the cab behind your seats? Is that where you're putting the Scepter water and fuel cans or are you building a lock box there for valuables?

The plan right now is that we'll have a short lock box the width of the cab for our inverter/laptops/camera gear. We'll cover it with carpet and put the stock jump seat cushions on top to try and disguise it as much as possible.

I'm thinking the Scepter water can(s) will mount in the bed on the driver side somehow. I'll install a spout of some type in the so we can have easy access to the water.

I'm all over the place with the bed design right now :snorkel:. At least when it comes to actually going ahead and making something I'll have gone through a lot of the thought process! Sleeping in a RTT makes it a little easier so we don't have to worry about the bed functioning as storage and a sleeping area.

Not 100% sure what to do with the extra fuel jerry can yet... I'm considering building something to mount it below the bed where the spare tire used to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne