3rd Gen Toyota Pickup - Budget Expo Build

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
I'm all over the place with the bed design right now :snorkel:. At least when it comes to actually going ahead and making something I'll have gone through a lot of the thought process! Sleeping in a RTT makes it a little easier so we don't have to worry about the bed functioning as storage and a sleeping area.

Not 100% sure what to do with the extra fuel jerry can yet... I'm considering building something to mount it below the bed where the spare tire used to be.
I hear ya man, I know the feeling. Good idea on the low-profile storage box in the cab. Are you guys planning on keeping the truck after the trip?

Why are you moving the spare? Those 265/75R16 tires should fit in the factory spot, especially if you have the stock bumper. You shouldn't even have to drop any psi. We only filled our fuel jerry cans when it was necessary (which was enough times to count on one hand) so versus the constant heavy weight of your spare tire, it may be better to have the spare lower between the framerails. Plus, a jerry can should waste less cargo room than the round spare tire and rest perfectly square next to your water cans. Just a thought

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Brenton, you know what? I think I just assumed the tire wouldn't fit in the original spare location. The chain mechanism got taken out because it was essentially a giant ball of rust.

Assuming it fits in the spare location, does anybody have any ideas on mounting it under there? Maybe one of those Y (3-way?) ratchet straps?
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/poison-spyder-3-way-spare-tire-strap-harness-ps-5763001.html

It would definitely be the best case scenario to fit it under the bed.

89s rule

Adventurer
I would buy another stock spare mount and reinstall it Sounds like a great build, my first truck ever was a '89 ext cab Yota Pickup, Sr5. I should have never sold it, guy bought it from me and said it was going to central america. I loved that truck, my only complaint was the lack of power, but mine was tired and didnt like the 32's too much.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
I would buy another stock spare mount and reinstall it Sounds like a great build, my first truck ever was a '89 ext cab Yota Pickup, Sr5. I should have never sold it, guy bought it from me and said it was going to central america. I loved that truck, my only complaint was the lack of power, but mine was tired and didnt like the 32's too much.
I agree. Shouldn't be too hard to find that in a junkyard or Yotatech classifieds, and anything else would be a pain in the butt if you ever had to change that spare tire out!

You won't get anywhere in a hurry with a 22re...which is why it's perfect for overland travel :sombrero:

UnaTerra

Nice build! For those that have been down in South America, to what extent were there off-the-beaten path locations in Amazonia, or routes, with very muddy roads that you would have wished you could have taken but did not due to not having a "power-winch (since there are hand winches)" or traction aids. Chains work well in the mud...?

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Nice build! For those that have been down in South America, to what extent were there off-the-beaten path locations in Amazonia, or routes, with very muddy roads that you would have wished you could have taken but did not due to not having a "power-winch (since there are hand winches)" or traction aids. Chains work well in the mud...?
We never needed a winch but I can't help but wonder if having one would've made my wife freak out less when I tried to push our limits offroad. We've still never used our traction aids, although we did use the shovel a few times. The shovel was just easier to unbolt :sombrero:

I will say that a few times I have wished I had locking differentials, but purely out of laziness because I didn't want to bust out the shovel.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
I'm very interested in this build...

And you won't have to wait too much longer for updates. I'll have a few solid days this weekend to spend wrenching on it. We'll see how much progress I can make...

Getting the OME suspension installed is goal #1.

J

JWP58

Are you concerned about reliability at all? I think I'm about to pick up the same model pickup (with a 22RE) and I wont lie, I have some reservation about heading out to the middle of nowhere with a pickup that has 220k miles on it...

vicali

Adventurer
My 86 Toyota with a 22re was with me from 330K-443K km. When I sold it the new owner was pointing it towards Belize and waving good-bye. It never let me down once. I had no qualms about taking it anywhere and being able to drive it back. I did my own maintenance, timing chain, replaced starters, suspension, and basically learned how to wrench on it. In the end I sold it for the same price I had bought it for seven years earlier :Wow1:

So no, I wouldn't worry about the 22re..

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Are you concerned about reliability at all? I think I'm about to pick up the same model pickup (with a 22RE) and I wont lie, I have some reservation about heading out to the middle of nowhere with a pickup that has 220k miles on it...

Honestly, if we had to leave tomorrow, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. The truck just inspires confidence for some reason. I expect that we'll rarely be "in the middle of nowhere", but fixing the truck in a mexican Walmart parking lot isn't exactly what I dream of either.

I am doing my best to increase the reliability... Everything I replace is something that we won't have to worry about (or at least I won't be breaking those bolts if we do have to worry about it!). Once the OME suspension is in I'll be going through the drivetrain. The 22re will most likely get rebuilt by a local machine shop, new clutch kit installed, new u-joints, wheel bearings, etc (plus whatever we have time and money for).

I'll be running a dual battery system so I won't have to worry about a dead battery in the middle of nowhere (plus it's a manual trans so we've got even more backup there). I'll be taking a spare fuel pump and fuel filters with me. I'll have the gear to adjust my TPS if needed (maybe with a spare just in case). I'll have a digital copy of the FSM and the tools to do most jobs. Full size spare, tire plugs, tow strap... all of these little things bring additional peace of mind as well. This is by no means a complete list of what I'm doing, but right now whenever I come up with a scenario that could happen (ie. overheating, blowing a rad hose, etc) I add it (V6 rad, new hoses, duct tape) to my "to-do" or "to-buy" list and sort out how much of a priority it is compared to everything else.

Another purchase that should add confidence overall is my Auto Meter AutoGage 2327 gauge kit. It was only $50, but it'll be nice to keep an eye on the water temp, oil press, batt voltage to be aware of a problem before it gets too bad.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, generally I trust that the truck will be reliable, but anything I can do to increase the reliability or decrease downtime when there is a problem will be done before we leave (as long as time and budget allows).

And just so we're clear... yes, if our bank account allowed it we'd be taking a new DC Tacoma... or Unimog.

Richard

Last edited:
J

JWP58

Right on, don't get me wrong I totally dig going this direction with an older easier to work on, more affordable platform. Also I've never driven a 22RE, how powerless are they?? I had an 09' regular cab with the 2.7L and some mountain passes were 3rd gear to the floor lol.

Once again, really looking forward to seeing this project develop, should be epic...

Last edited:

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper

Don't worry, those concerns disappear once you reach the middle of nowhere :sombrero:

Also I've never driven a 22RE, how powerless are they??

Very. Honestly though, eventually you realize it's ideal for the roads of Central and South America. We probably average 35-45 mph, and if driven correctly it usually has enough "go" to pass slower moving vehicles. If you don't have enough power to pass, then maybe you're pushing your luck anyway.

Just point it one direction and it will take you there...usually just slow enough to enjoy the scenic route.

Last edited:

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Right on, don't get me wrong I totally dig going this direction with an older easier to work on, more affordable platform. Also I've never driven a 22RE, how powerless are they?? I had an 09' regular cab with the 2.7L and some mountain passes were 3rd gear to the floor lol.

Once again, really looking forward to seeing this project develop, should be epic...

The 22RE leaves something to be desired compared to my previous vehicles. My driver right now is a 2000 RCSB Silverado 4x4 with a 285hp 5.3L, before that I had a '73 Bronco with a 302, 88 4Runner with a 302/C4/SAS, and my first car was (is) a '67 Mustang with a 351W/T5.

At least it should be okay on fuel and reliable... right? :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles