3rd Gen Toyota Pickup - Budget Expo Build

brettf

Adventurer
Good question. I've been going back and forth on different rig setups since we've been on the road for just over three months.

For what we want to do and what our budget was this is the best setup for us. It was fairly inexpensive, it's super small/light and capable, so because of this we never have to worry about fitting down tight alleys or making it out of the middle of nowhere. Because it's inexpensive it means we can spend more nights renting (cheap) hotel rooms in big cities without feeling guilty that we spent too much money on a rig and that we should be using it. Our CVT tent is built really well with no sign of wear after 100 nights camping, our ARB suspension is perfect for the backroads/topes/potholes, and the truck has been really really reliable.

A few things that would be on the wish list are:

1) ARB Outback drawers or similar to improve security and organization.
2) LED lights on the inside of the canopy and on the outside as flood lights.
3) Regear to 4.56s and a locker of some flavor in the rearend.

Saying that, having indoor living space when the weather sucks would be amazing. Something like a small Four Wheel Camper would be awesome, but it would have cost $14,000 vs the $1000 tent. I feel like this would be a great lightweight option that would still be super capable off road if it was in the budget.

Also... I've been looking at lot at Ford E Series vans. Having the option to build a custom interior, throw on a U Joint Off Road 4x4 conversion on it, and have it be capable/comfortable with the ability to stealth camp would be awesome.

Good information. Seems like that is an excellent way to travel down where you are. Economical, somewhat nondescript, lightweight. Are there are lot of times during this trip you squeezed through something that an E-series van couldn't get through? Primarily natural stuff (road cuts, rocks, trees) or manmade stuff (bridges, narrow streets)?

I'm currently sinking my energy into the interior on a E350 we bought and converted to 4x4 using a UJOR kit. So we're going down the other route you've mentioned. Still working on insulating and panel before boxes/cabinets and electrical. We may have overdone it a little with a 6" lift, 35" tires, and a high top. It's very difficult to stealth-camp (gets a ton of attention) and I have to watch roof clearance carefully. A pop-top and smaller tires would go along ways towards reducing overall height and probably attention. But it's nice to be able to just stand up in the van with no setup time. Especially with rough weather. On the flipside, we couldn't stand up in the van when it was stock, but I could park that thing literally anywhere and not get hassled; totally under the radar.

Anyway, enjoying your updates from here in Colorado. Keep up the great work documenting your travels!

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Good information. Seems like that is an excellent way to travel down where you are. Economical, somewhat nondescript, lightweight. Are there are lot of times during this trip you squeezed through something that an E-series van couldn't get through? Primarily natural stuff (road cuts, rocks, trees) or manmade stuff (bridges, narrow streets)?

I'm currently sinking my energy into the interior on a E350 we bought and converted to 4x4 using a UJOR kit. So we're going down the other route you've mentioned. Still working on insulating and panel before boxes/cabinets and electrical. We may have overdone it a little with a 6" lift, 35" tires, and a high top. It's very difficult to stealth-camp (gets a ton of attention) and I have to watch roof clearance carefully. A pop-top and smaller tires would go along ways towards reducing overall height and probably attention. But it's nice to be able to just stand up in the van with no setup time. Especially with rough weather. On the flipside, we couldn't stand up in the van when it was stock, but I could park that thing literally anywhere and not get hassled; totally under the radar.

Anyway, enjoying your updates from here in Colorado. Keep up the great work documenting your travels!

We have never gone through anything natural or manmade that would have been an issue for an E Series (even with the hightop/6" lift/35s). There are definitely some narrow streets and small tunnels here in Guanajuato, but there are plenty of full size 1 ton box trucks used for delivery etc that don't have a problem. Good choice! brettf, do you have a build thread on the go? Super interested!

brettf

Adventurer
We have never gone through anything natural or manmade that would have been an issue for an E Series (even with the hightop/6" lift/35s). There are definitely some narrow streets and small tunnels here in Guanajuato, but there are plenty of full size 1 ton box trucks used for delivery etc that don't have a problem. Good choice! brettf, do you have a build thread on the go? Super interested!

Stoked to hear this - I have been worried about size for some time now, but aside from some snagged downed trees here in Colorado and Utah, we haven't had too much trouble yet. And any trouble has been due solely to the height. Not that I'm out beating on it as hard as some of the other 4x4 van guys do, but it gets us into and out of trouble regularly. Lots of snow action too.

I *don't* have a build thread! Which is inexcusable given the amount I've learned from other people's threads on this and other forums! But I do have a ton of pictures here and there. I'll get them in a thread and hope I get a chance to update it regularly. I'll drop you a note when I get it together.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
A little TLC in Mexico

After a couple of minor break ins we decided to up the security of the truck a bit. We finally bought "The Club" just in case somebody tries to take our rig away from us. While in Guanajuato we also got our windows tinted to make it a bit harder (almost impossible) to see into the interior. The 3M tint is supposed to be shatter resistant as well. While we got that done we also go the back door of our canopy, the rock sliders, and the bumper repainted. They were getting a little rusty after months of driving on the beach... Tint and paint? $85.

Juan Carlos wore his special Canada shirt just for us!

12078432803_0104abe01b_c.jpg

12078779356_c46a098ae0_c.jpg

12078443813_c709a5b73e_c.jpg

J

JWP58

Very awesome. I don't know if anyone doesn't dream of leaving their 9-5....or 0530-1730, to go do whatever the heck they want to.

Awesome pickup.

southernboy30

Fantastic thread. I read your blog recently concerning the 2nd break-in, I don't remember reading about security concerns. What are your plans to beef up security on the truck and yourselves? You guys ate in my prays for a safe journey. Also, what sources do you use to keep up with locate news and weather reports?

stolz

Adventurer
Been following you guys on instagram for a while, was nice to read through your thread as well! Hope the journey is going well!

EZE

Observer
Awesome truck. Digging your website too! I've got a 93 22re that's giving me no end of trouble but you're making me want to stick it out and turn it into an expo rig (the wife is pushing for a new taco quad cab). I was wondering if you've been tracking your actual mpg - and what it might be?

Tried searching the thread and couldn't find any actual numbers. Thanks! And keep em' coming!

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Awesome truck. Digging your website too! I've got a 93 22re that's giving me no end of trouble but you're making me want to stick it out and turn it into an expo rig (the wife is pushing for a new taco quad cab). I was wondering if you've been tracking your actual mpg - and what it might be?

Tried searching the thread and couldn't find any actual numbers. Thanks! And keep em' coming!

EZE, our friends are driving a 2006 Tacoma Quad Cab with a Four Wheel Camper and are loving it. There are a few photos of it on our blog from when we were in Belize. Lots more power than us for the big hills, more room on the inside, little more reliable due to super low kms. He's also got about 5x as much money into his rig than we do though.

Worst mileage to date has been 15mpg in the mountains of Mexico. Best was 22mpg. Average is between 18-19mpg.

EZE

Observer
Thanks for the reply! Having a blast living vicariously and planning for after grad school. If you find your self down in Seattle and in want of a cup of coffee or a beer I'll gladly buy to her some of your stories first hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier