Newest Released Next Generation Defender Pic

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Nene Overland posted this today, as a released image from Land Rover as a refinement on the DC100. They are certainly getting closer, but the top half is a little too FJC to me.

934987_532862340111183_1204980298_n.jpg

Mack73

Adventurer
Looks great to me. I spy a hint of series I door tops with the verticle side.

Sad to see IFS and probably air bags. I would love to see the solid axles stay on the defender. Put IFS on everything else (a la wrangler)

JSBriggs

Adventurer
Looks like an 80's K5 Chevy Blazer.

Solid axles are a must if they are serious. Otherwise its just another in a long line of disappointing styling and marketing exercises.

-Jeff

homey

I don't understand? Mercedes Benz still makes the same G-Wagon its been making for 30 years and doesn't seem to be losing to many sales to modern unibodied SUVs. Why does the Defender have to go all modern and ruin a perfectly good truck that is already highly desirable? Couldn't they just engineer it to pass all the safety issues so they can sell them in the US? I'd be willing to bet they'd have a line out the door to buy a "new" Defender. Plus it'd be the only real competitor to the G-Wagon...

A.J.M

Explorer
The defender has never been fitted with air bags, or any side protection. So to get them to pass any real tests would need a total redesign.
Add the fact in it's current guise it will never pass up coming EU tests and the huge labour cost to build one and your faced with either redesigning it, or killing it off totally.

Given how it's the halo model of LR, option 2 would never happen. But because of it being the halo model, getting the new design right is going to be a huge risk as you can't please everyone. So you need to take the majority and they will be trying to crack the US again with the new one and i would imagine the Jeep would be seen as it's main challenge.

TheJosh

Explorer
I think everything after the side mirrors is horrible....

What's with the NATO gas can imprint on the side (besides structural integrity)

Eniam17

Adventurer
For the most part, online forum enthusiasts aren't LR's target market anymore so I doubt we will all get the solid axles, no airbags, etc. that we all still want. The US especially is not going to be one of the biggest defender markets that will "define" the new defender such as it does the Wrangler for Jeep. I actually like that design compared to what I was afraid we'd be looking at when I saw the first DC100 (other than the low profile tires) and 20"+ looking wheels.

wagsww3

Explorer
What's with all the tiny windows in all these new 4wd rigs these days? I guess seeing where your going or being able to see your corners is over rated any more.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
landie_2-L.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...:+Unofficial+Defender+concept+keeps+it+simple

-Jeff

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
For the most part, online forum enthusiasts aren't LR's target market anymore so I doubt we will all get the solid axles, no airbags, etc. that we all still want. The US especially is not going to be one of the biggest defender markets that will "define" the new defender such as it does the Wrangler for Jeep. I actually like that design compared to what I was afraid we'd be looking at when I saw the first DC100 (other than the low profile tires) and 20"+ looking wheels.

Aren't there still militaries world wide that use these rigs? Wouldn't they still prefer the old fashioned solid axles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier