Anyone else frustrated with Apple/Mac?

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
To save money, I bought my daughter a Lenovo android tablet instead of an iPad, I've already had to restore it once, it comes with loads of programs that are of no use, that I cannot delete and is just clunky to use overall. It is fine for occasional use, and for an 8 year old. As for the Mac platform, what do the current towers not do that you need? We all get caught up in the latest and fastest, but the reality is most (and Scott, I know you are not most and are indeed a power user) don't need the power modern computers already provide.

Are there faster chips not available in the mac towers that are available in PC world?

As for Aperture, I find it much better overall than Lightroom, and updates have not been substantially slower than updates for Adobe products (it seems like when Adobe issues an update for Lightroom, Aperture is 2-3 days behind). I can't even get RAW conversion software for Photoshop for my current camera because I've not updated to the current photoshop. With Adobe's new cloud based approach, I'll never upgrade my photoshop. While I'm not shooting professionally anymore, even if I was I wouldn't/couldn't justify the cost of the new Adobe approach.

At work, it is a Windows XP based network (how old is XP anyway, I think that says a lot about Microsoft's innovation). Everyday, in nearly every patients room, I'm plagued with crashes of the software. The only way to fix it is rebooting, which takes at least 1/2 hour in this environment. I don't know if this is because it is network based, or just Windows in general. Since OS X beta, I can count on less than one hand how many times I've "had" to reboot because of system errors.

Is Apple perfect, absolutely not, but for me, I wouldn't use anything else for serious work.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
At work, it is a Windows XP based network (how old is XP anyway, I think that says a lot about Microsoft's innovation). Everyday, in nearly every patients room, I'm plagued with crashes of the software. The only way to fix it is rebooting, which takes at least 1/2 hour in this environment. I don't know if this is because it is network based, or just Windows in general. Since OS X beta, I can count on less than one hand how many times I've "had" to reboot because of system errors.

Is Apple perfect, absolutely not, but for me, I wouldn't use anything else for serious work.

Ha! We pay to downgrade to XP as well. Unfortunately (or, fortunately, depending on how you look at it), that is coming to an end. Rumor has it that Microsoft will stop supporting XP soon. Without the constant security updates, everyone will be forced to move on.

One thing that I really don't like about Apple, is that you can't get much business software for it - at least not Enterprise software (SAP, etc).

JFarris

Wanderer
Apple never focused on the business side, rather just the average consumer along with students. I have been using my Macs for my business since 2007. It has limited me on what I can do, which is frustrating at times. I just recently bought a custom built PC to run earthwork takeoff software. This is the only program besides AutoCad that I use it for. I really wish that the software developers would have embraced the Mac platform. I believe things would be different than what they are today.

Apple never focused on the business side, rather just the average consumer along with students. I have been using my Macs for my business since 2007. It has limited me on what I can do, which is frustrating at times. I just recently bought a custom built PC to run earthwork takeoff software. This is the only program besides AutoCad that I use it for. I really wish that the software developers would have embraced the Mac platform. I believe things would be different than what they are today.

And their lack of corporate focus shines well. I was the solution architect for a project integrating macs into a fortune 100 compant and it was painful

DirtyDog

Adventurer
1. No opinion.

2. You can always buy another brand if you want another size so I don't really see this as an issue.

3. Yes I agree they have neglected the pro.

4. No opinion.

5. Is there another tablet at this point with better field performance? I'm not sure about this one and would like to hear more.

6. While a new connector seems like an asinine money grab, I think it's worth evaluating whether it's actually better.

7. Well it's here now......

8. More will come but not fast enough for most people.

9. This is a Quickbooks issue, not a Mac issue. Our business uses the online version which works fine. This is one example of a software package that will just work better as a SAAS platform going forward.

10. Given that the Mac platform overall is still far superior in many ways I can't gripe about the price.

I have Macs and PC's. Both the businesses I run have gone Mac-only. The PC has been relegated to the game machine. Mac productivity is simply higher due to less issues and better software. However, I do understand your sentiment. They certainly could be doing better.

DirtyDog

Adventurer

I guess it depends on what business you are in, but in creative and tech industries the Mac has either become the standard, or it is rapidly approaching that mark.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
One of my former padawans (IT apprentice) now works for one of the major drive array companies. One of his jobs is provisioning gear for the end users. He was telling me one day about how all the new hires want this Mac, or that ultralight Mac, etc. Then they find out that it won't run the software they need or won't connect the peripherals they need, etc.

So I guess the company policy now is to give them the Mac, but with Windows installed so they can actually get some work done. :)

He also laughs his butt off over the guy in the art department who kept complaining that his Mac was too slow, so they gave him the best one they could get and he still complained. So they gave him a hot rod PC and it's a lot faster, but now he complains that the interface is clunky and wants his Mac back. :D

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Having done IT professionally for a dozen years, my honest opinion is that it's all junk. Macs, PCs, whatever hardware running Linux (which I've used since it came out in 1993)...

All complete crap.

Every time I use one, I feel like this:

AK Allen

2012 TTSE FJ Cruiser
I like macs, they are the only thing I use at the house. I do have ubuntu dual loaded on one for fun. But for phones and tablets it is android all the way. I had the first 3 iphones, and while they do what they do well, and updates are standardized. They just don't float my boat, and I hate itunes. With android I immediately root to get rid of bloatware and then they run awesome! And they are better priced for comparable specs. I have a Samsung Tab 2 7.0 wifi only that does everything I need, from serving as my GPS to holding my extensive music collection, courtesy of the external micro sd slot. It works awesome for off road navigation, and my phone works great for on the road, although either can and are used for both. To me iphones and ipads are weak in this department.

haven

Expedition Leader
It's been 3 years in the making, but Mac Pro will receive a significant upgrade in 2013.

... Apple CEO Tim Cook wrote...
'Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for [later in 2013]'

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/08/rumor-suggests-replacement-for-mac-pro-due-in-april-or-may/

Intel's next generation Xeon workstation processors are not expected to be shipped until late 3rd quarter to early 4th quarter. So the new Mac Pro models may not appear until then.

rockwood

Adventurer
Apple frustrates me with its incremental feature updates and tardy arrival of hardware features. It has a cash cow and thinks the customer show bow to its alter. Nothing about the Iphone 5 excites me. So no upgrades for anyone in my family

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I have an iPhone 5, an ipad2, a new iMac 27" and a 2009 Aluminimum Macbook.

The thing I like most about my apple products is that they work like new for ALONG time. For example, my 4 year old macbook, it never gets shutdown and it does an admirable job of running through my Nikon D800 files using aperture and photoshop. It hasn't 'crashed' once in the four years of use - and we will be selling it for $550 to a friend who has wanted it for awhile. It still runs as well as it did when it got so I think it's a fair price. The same reliability can be stated for my ipad and iphone.

Before buying my iMac I did a lot of research and decided it was the right call for our family computer - with an emphasis in photography.

To respond to the original question:

1. Aperture: Updates are coming too slow. True they are slow - but they make them. The program is only ~$80 (I think) and it is an incredible value. It is debatable which is better between Aperture and Lightroom with many in each camp. Bottom line is the program is solid and it's integration with the rest of OS X and iphone ipad and other computers are just awesome.

2. Monitor: Only one size of monitor is available. What about some choice? A choice would be nice but the 15" retina screen is better than probably all 20" monitors. I do consulting work and am often at client sites - my work would benefit from a travel monitor. But if one existed, I probably would not even take it. What bag are you going to carry on your shoulder with any monitor 20" in size? The Monitor on the recent 27" imac is fantastic and IMO very much improved from the prior when it comes to glare reduction. I assume the new monitor when released will be just as good.

3. Mac Pro: We are a creative-based business and we need powerful, robust and up-to-date edit suites for design, images and video. The Mac Pro is an embarrassment. Years without a significant update. We need to buy at least one new tower and there is nothing projected from Apple. Agree. I am assuming it will get updated, along with a new monitor during their conference in June.

5. iPad: No peripheral support. Would make for great field units, but they cannot consume or manage our images. Would be nice, but what's better? They offer an 11" Air that would probably suffice?
6. iPhone 5: This new connector has me paranoid. All of my in-vehicle charging and playing options are now obsolete or require a $40 adapter. They need to standardize with the rest of the world. The phone is incredible and the new connector is better than the old. It was pretty silly for the auto manufactures to not make the origniation side of the cable USB, then the new cable could be exchanged. (This is what I did for my car charger)
7. USB 3.0 - finally available, otherwise we suffered with slow image transfers.
8. Thunderbolt peripherals- How about a CF card reader? USB 3.0 is super fast - wouldn't the speed gains from thunderbolt be only marginal?
9. Lagging Quickbooks support and updates. They started off quickly with upgrades but now it has stalled. Shockingly, there are real problems with export and our CPA reading the mac output. I am a CPA and some of my clients use quickbooks on their macs, I have had no issues.
10. The cost - with all of the frustration, the additional investment is just not adding up. The cost is high, but if you divide the cost over the years of service is it worth it?

My biggest frustration with Mac's is that they don't really make their products user servicable. I would like to be able to open up my stuff and make changes, do I NEED to? Probably not, but that would be nice.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I'll play devil's advocate, but PC's have had lots of changes in connectors throughout it's history too. It's not just Apple.

serial -> PS/2 -> USB

ISA -> EISA -> PCI -> PCI Express, PCI-X, AGP

IDE -> E-IDE, SCSI, Parallel ATA, Serial ATA

VGA, DVI, HDMI

Then printers within the same brand with different cartridges.
Digital cameras within the same brand with different battery sizes and different chargers.
Laptops with different battery sizes and different chargers.
And so on....

robgendreau

Explorer
Computers? They're going bye-bye. Apple is a mobile device company now. I really doubt the Mac Pro will ever be updated. Too bad. They'll stay in laptops, but even sales of those will decline in the face of tablets.

So let's just talk about the iPad and iPhone. You're right about the peripheral support for files; the email-to-yourself solution is just insane. Perhaps they didn't recognize that people will be doing work on them, and that managing files would still be part of our lives, and I don't mean just as sharing to social media. It's way too cumbersome to move stuff around, especially if you're away from the internet and/or a network, as we all are at times. Lots of us here at this site have to move three kinds of large files on a regular basis: photos, videos and maps. And the storage for those is still limited. Would it completely kill them to allow for the use of SD cards for maps? and connection to external GPS? Folks are figuring out ways to do this (the TomTom GPS cradle and various OBD devices) but it's behind Android.

The power dongle mess isn't unique to Apple. How many of us are still using cigarette lighter adapters in our vehicles? Or DC inputs of every type and shape. We need a United Nations Tsar of Power Dongles to dictate a universal shape for each voltage.

haven

Expedition Leader
" I really doubt the Mac Pro will ever be updated."

Then Apple is wasting its resources running trailers in theaters that introduce the next Mac Pro. The cylindrical model, shown at the WWDC this June, is coming "in Fall."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke