Camper Shells: your experiences and suggestions

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
buldyourown said:
If I had to buy another one, I would definitely get a commercial one, but it wouldn't be made by ARE. A gemtop or other highend commercial would be worth my money.

You got an ARE for $1100? :Wow1: That's an awesome price! If you don't mind my asking, where did you get it?

Someone here pointed out that Gemtop is now owned by another shell company - either ARE or Leer, I think.

reconbyfire

Observer
Kermit said:
I have wondered why some of you guys don't use shells with all of the equipment you carry. Easy way to keep dust and grime off equipment...and keep off unwanted hands.

I had a SnugTop (still have it) on mine before the Wildernest. If I was going to do it a again, It would be a GemTop or a Leer with a toolbox at least on one side. The tool box toppers just make a lot of sense to me. Especially for an "Expedition Rig"

http://www.leer.com/commercial/180cccapsj.html

dcc180main.jpg

jbluemajoroutline.jpg

I really like the commercial tops w/tool storage sides. There are some many configuration with these it is silly. This would be very suitable for my Tundra Expedition Vehicle.

theMec

Adventurer
I found a topper w/ vertical sides. More volume is good. Sitting up straight is good. It's an A.R.E. topper and they do offer a 4x4 package for extra strength (like Gemtop). Seems like it's the only topper out there w/ vertical sides so I was sad to hear Buildyourown's experience about quality. NOTE the slider side windows encased in the workman's door! At least, that's what it looks like. Here's a picture from the ARE site:
Surm20010108151627.jpg

greenhorn

Adventurer
Martinjmpr said:
You got an ARE for $1100? :Wow1: That's an awesome price! If you don't mind my asking, where did you get it?

Someone here pointed out that Gemtop is now owned by another shell company - either ARE or Leer, I think.

The $1100 is just for a basic shell, no side doors, windows, etc. I priced one that came to $1900. Of that, $350 was paint matching color.

The main difference between the ARE DCU and a Gemtop is that the DCU is all aluminum, the skin, the frame, etc. The Gemtop is all galvanized steel, skin, frame. I am curious what the weight difference is.

articulate

Expedition Leader
64 posts, three months of discussion, and two years of deliberation and penny pinching, you fellas helped my wife and I decide on this A.R.E.:

frontier_shell_001.jpg

frontier_shell_002.jpg

I took the advice about windoors seriously and it only took about three minutes of ownership to understand the value of those things. If you're going to be at the Overland Expo, let's tip a bottle together.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I love being able to come back to an old thread and put a cork in the original question. Here's to ya.

Mark

Dale

Adventurer
I was quoted $1900 for an A.R.E. DCU 8ft, as plane as you can get, with solid barn doors. I ended up finding a LEER contractors cap with solid barn doors on Craigslist for $200...Its not as robust as the DCU but if I destroy it, I can most likely get my $200 back in AL scrap money.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Tagged....I've had a Vista shell on my old Toyota for quite a few years. Just the basic model, but never had any problems. Carried a sea kayak and a surf ski, along with bike racks on top too. No cracking, and never had any issues with the "C-clamp" attachments.

daverami

Explorer
Glad you got an ARE. Looks good by the way.

It's too late for my 2 cents, but the only thing I wish I would have done was to get the windoors. Really like those. Other than that, I'm glad I got it. My canoe fits up top with no problem, and I like the security.

Truck 1.jpg

southpier

Expedition Leader
....To be honest I don't get the attraction to the RTT. Like a snorkel or limb risers, it looks rugged and "salty" but it's terribly expensive and comes with some huge downsides, size and weight being the biggest ones. If it's big and heavy, it seems like it would seriously compromise the side hill ability of your vehicle.....

what he say

Bcghosttowns

Adventurer
I had a canopy on my last truck.It seems most people here really like them so i will give an opposing view.I don't like canopies and heres why.Although i do like the security but since i dont sleep in my canopy and since security isnt so much of an issue here i found it more of a PITA than anything.It made my truck more of a suv or mini van rather than its intended purpose.But they are nice for keeping the snow out of it in the winter.
Now that being said i would consider one again if it had the pop side windows and was tall enough to get my small quad in the back.I like to bring my atv with me for when the road gets too rough for the truck but i have a slide in for camping so the truck goes in for a make over everytime its duties change canopy--->camper and then back again so i will try for a while without and if i feel the need to get one down the road i will have something in mind :ylsmoke:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Nice choice articulate. You can't go wrong with an A.R.E. They were my preference but no longer offer a topper for my old truck.

I have been real happy sleeping in the warmth and dryness of my SnugTop for the last few years. Plenty of storage under the sleeping platform with enough room between the gate and platform for coolers/refridge. The only thing better would be a Flippac or better yet…..Four Wheel Camper.

(My fishing buddy hiding from the rain)
1212041015_7a8859f0e8.jpg

1188960242_bc8a1364d9.jpg

1188088739_38dbf2f5aa.jpg

1189002118_a05392211e.jpg

Last edited:

NickTheTinkerer

Just bought a used Leer commercial truck cap all Alum for my Ranger. Its at the body shop now to get it painted to match the truck. cant wait to get it back. I will post pics as soon as I get it.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Snugtop

Snugtop offers a beefup option with thicker sides and roof. They've also got some trick,sliding,screened,popout side windows. The fold down front windows are nice on all the new ones for keeping the glass clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles