Yeti 70 qt cooler

Pabloa3

I have been contemplating the cooler vs fridge piece. Most of my camping will be for 3 to 4 nights in campgrounds (but no hookups) and I only have 1 battery on my teardrop (and currently no solar). I'm also camping in the PNW generally under a lot of trees so I'm not sure how much solar will help. I decided that I would first pick up a cooler (maybe a fridge at a later point). I spent time online looking at pelican, yeti, grizzly, and the colemans (and others). I went to Cabela's in Lacy, however, there selection was poor and they didn't have many sizes - plus they only carried yeti and coleman. My next stop was at Sportco in Fife. Much better selection including pelican, grizzly, igloo yukon, cheaper igloos and yeti. I ended up getting the yeti 65 qt. The pelican was about 20 lbs heavier for the same size - since my 7 year old probably won't be much help carrying it I decided against that. For me it came down to the grizzly vs yeti. The grizzly seemed more than capable however it didn't have a tray or lip for a tray (minor point) and I didn't like the rear hinge (just a rod with a little rubber cap on each end). To me the Yeti seemed slightly better constructed. So I picked it up on Sunday and plan to put it to use over memorial weekend.

Paul

KellyZ

I've had a Yeti Tundra 45 and 75 quart for a few years and wouldn't buy any other cooler. As mentioned, it keeps ice for 7-10 days if tempered first or if you use dry ice. I still look at the fridges once a year or so but a cooler you can take anywhere without having to keep it plugged in, simple is sometimes better (certainly more flexible as to where you can use it).

MOAK

Adventurer
One of my primary directives,,, never buy used equipment..... I learned the hard way, long ago that used equipment can and will break or fail, and I'm out a small pile of money. A fridge/freezer new, is way out of our current need/want, and the $1200 for the 50+ qt fridge/freezer ? there just isn't the need. If we were traversing regions of the world where ice just is not available for days and sometimes weeks at a time, then the fridge/freezer would be a necessary and welcomed expenditure.. Looks like the Yeti is in our future, I get my quarterly bonus in July, it's already half spent !! Thanks to everyone :)

p nut

butter
One of my primary directives,,, never buy used equipment..... I learned the hard way, long ago that used equipment can and will break or fail, and I'm out a small pile of money. A fridge/freezer new, is way out of our current need/want, and the $1200 for the 50+ qt fridge/freezer ? there just isn't the need. If we were traversing regions of the world where ice just is not available for days and sometimes weeks at a time, then the fridge/freezer would be a necessary and welcomed expenditure.. Looks like the Yeti is in our future, I get my quarterly bonus in July, it's already half spent !! Thanks to everyone :)

Just FYI, REI is having their 20% sale. If you're a member, you can pick one up at a pretty good price. Sale ends later this month, I believe.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I've used a Yeti 65 for over two years now and have been very happy with the performance.
Stacking a block of ice in the middle and surrounding it with pre-cooled items topped with cubed ice works great.
As others have said, the ice will last between seven and ten days. After owning a Yeti, I'd never get any other cooler again.

Accrete

Explorer
Your millage may vary...this report is for camping in the Pacific Northwest, typically under shade trees in ~75 degree max day-time temps. Coolers located inside our van conversion under the bed platform.

My wife and i purchased (and still use) a 70qt YETI, and in 2012 purchased a 70qt ENGEL deep blue.

What we found is (like others have suggested), cooling them down ~a day~ before departure, then putting your camp-items in adds to their ability to remain cool. We regularly get ~5 days of sub 40 degrees inside both, and as a test, added a layer of bubble foil to the ENGEL and get an extra ~2 days sub 40.

We feel (after a year of side by side use) that the ENGEL is just a tad nicer/more efficient than the YETI. We also like the bear-resistant design of the Deep Blue over our particular YETI...since at my side...is always bear-spray.

Cheers,
Thom

Honu

lost on the mainland
had watched a youtube video some company ? showed they liked the engel a touch more :)
so interesting to hear from someone that has both :)

I have been debating about getting a quality cooler our kids open and close them a lot :) and I love my arb fridge but for 3 day 2 night been debating about a cooler
freeze our drinks and a few things and no worry about setting up solar or my second battery (not built into the rig) so in some ways it might be easier in a sense :)

longer trips both are great I think :)

Your millage may vary...this report is for camping in the Pacific Northwest, typically under shade trees in ~75 degree max day-time temps. Coolers located inside our van conversion under the bed platform.

My wife and i purchased (and still use) a 70qt YETI, and in 2012 purchased a 70qt ENGEL deep blue.

What we found is (like others have suggested), cooling them down ~a day~ before departure, then putting your camp-items in adds to their ability to remain cool. We regularly get ~5 days of sub 40 degrees inside both, and as a test, added a layer of bubble foil to the ENGEL and get an extra ~2 days sub 40.

We feel (after a year of side by side use) that the ENGEL is just a tad nicer/more efficient than the YETI. We also like the bear-resistant design of the Deep Blue over our particular YETI...since at my side...is always bear-spray.

Cheers,
Thom

keoni004

Observer
Any comments on durability? I'm planning on making a haul of frozen tasties from Honolulu to the East Coast, and I need a cooler that will stand up to the delicate handling provided by various baggage handlers along the way. I'm sure these are all overkill, but I do plan on some extended camping this fall. I'd rather buy a single cooler once than a cheap cooler for the trip and then another cooler for outdoors.

discotdi

Adventurer
Yeti has the name recognition in coolers and Engel in fridge freezers. A few years back Engel got into coolers big time. I would recommend that you check the Engel before making a purchase. It has thicker insulation and is built rock solid.
A fridge is also awesome if you have the battery power. I have two, love em.

86tuning

Adventurer
What frozen tasties ?

Styrofoam dry ice cardboard next day air ?

This.

We've shipped many things via FedEx. Sometimes we ship live lobsters from the east coast via FedEx. And if we're sending salmon overseas, we use dry ice and FedEx.

MOAK

Adventurer
Bought the 75, and used it on the high desert. Temps were near 100 degrees every day. At the end of day 5, we headed into Monticello for more supplies. There was still a block of ice the size of my fist.. Very impressed with this chest..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles