Yeti 70 qt cooler

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Cooler Comparison

I just recently purchased a Yeti 160qt (for Offshore fishing) due to the quality of the handles, rubber non slip feet, ice retention, and the large amount of aftermarket support that Yeti offers.

FWIW here is a video that I found to be helpful. I don't think that the test was conducted perfectly, but it provides useful information. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U. Good luck with your decision!

luk4mud

Explorer
I own 2 Yetis size big and small. I go on week long offroad trips with w 10# ice block in the big one. I generally come back with 1/3 to 1/2 of the block left. I don't pay much attention to how often I open the lid, whether it is in the sun., etc. I just drain the excess water every other day or so.

Folks who have fridges seem to love them, I am pretty comfortable with the low tech cooler approach.

Honu

lost on the mainland
just curious for those using block ice why not do the water jug thing then you have some cold drink water to ? again just curious :)

cobra_4

Observer
I recently purchased an ICON cooler, about half the price of the yeti. I haven't had the chance to field test it yet, but from just playing around at the house and with beer in it on the weekend it performs very well.

http://www.iconcoolers.com/

RangeBrover

Explorer
I've got a Yetti 65 and it'll hold ice and keep everything cold for all of our weekend trips. I accidentally left ice in it for a week while it sat in the back of the cruiser, when I opened it up it was still cold with about 20% of the ice left. These coolers are great but we're switching to a fridge for the consistent cooling ability and the convenience of not having to lug ice.

luk4mud

Explorer
just curious for those using block ice why not do the water jug thing then you have some cold drink water to ? again just curious :)

because I always forget to freeze those before I go and end up buying block ice at the grocery store

Honu

lost on the mainland

forgot where I saw it but some river rafting guide setup filled a cooler 1/4 or so with water put it in a freezer walk in was a interesting idea they way they did it

I can say we bought a 5 gallon orange water jug setup we fill with block and then fill in surrounding area with regular ice for cold drinking water when camping and has been a HUGE hit with wife and kids and have to say even me seems to stay cold out just past 4 days which is nice

just did a 3 day trip and actually used my cooler instead more a long road trip reason no fridge was easier to get into a cooler in some ways and was just basic stuff since I was on the road not off road coolers always have a place and again I say both coolers and fridges are nice to have

Ziv

Observer
I use both a YETI Tundra 45 and an Edgestar fridge. I love the YETI but, more often than not, it is used as a dry box, cocktail table, work bench, bear/critter box, or step stool. YETIs are well built and will last a lifetime if given a barely reasonable measure of care. It's wonderful thing, but I only use it as a cooler about 20% of the time.

I find the 12v fridge more convenient for food and fluids. I can use it as a fridge or as a freezer. It is powered via a battery box that is charged from a 100w solar panel mounted on the top of the Xterra. It can, and has, run continuiously for months at a time without a second thought. That said, there is one undeniable truth. Someday, sometime, somewhere it will have a mechanical failure and nothing in my kit will be able to bring it back to life while in the field. On ther other hand, there is nothing about the YETI that can't be repaired with gaffer tape, chewing gum, para-cord and a stick.

Having both the YETI and the 12v fridge is a great combination. If I could only pick one, I would go with the YETI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior