Post pictures of your cab management ideas

lugueto

Adventurer
The clips last a very long time, if they are somewhere they won't get bumped or snagged, and don't bear the full brunt of the weight of the Maglite. I kept a 3-cell mounted in a vertical position in the rear corner of my standard cab pickup, Maglite butt on the floor. Over 20yrs. It was easy to reach there, but protected.

The problem isn't their weight-bearing capabilities, its the fact that when you clip the light in and out, the prongs break after a couple of months of use.

If you don't really use the light much, then I guess you're ok with it. If not, get Quick Fists.

rayra

Expedition Leader
The problem isn't their weight-bearing capabilities, its the fact that when you clip the light in and out, the prongs break after a couple of months of use.

If you don't really use the light much, then I guess you're ok with it. If not, get Quick Fists.

(shrug). Maybe their quality has changed over the years. I've used mine plenty over the years, no trouble. And.but my direction of draw is right out of the clips. No twisting, torque etc. Maybe that's a factor. Maybe you abused yours or have an unreasonable expectation of how sturdy they ought to be.

/see how easily that smug crap goes both ways?

anickode

Adventurer
I've got a pair of maglite clips holding a 6D mag horizontally along the bottom of the driver's door down by the door pocket... so far they have survived 3 years of bouncing and door slamming. Light gets used on a near daily basis at work. Never had it pop out, and no signs of wear.

Anyway... back on topic?

I saved a bunch of room up front by ditching my cobra 29ltd classic CB in favor of a more compact cobra 19, and mounting it in the dash. The center dash bezel had a large area beneath the climate control module. I popped the bezel off and did some poking around and discovered the dash plastic down there is holding nothing and hiding a large empty space just deep enough to mount the cobra 19. After hacking out the pointless plastic, and a little cutting and trimming to the bezel, I now have an in-dash mounted CB. There was enough room next to it to mount an extension speaker inside the dash, with a grid of holes drilled for a speaker screen to one side, and a nice area for aux lighting switches off to the other.

BOPOH

Explorer
Sorry no pictures. I don't have much attached but i always carry fire extinguisher in door bottle holder along with water and flashlight. Glove box has meal replacement bars, leatherman, phone charging cables, notepad, first aid kit, and crescent wrench. Hidden in truck EDC bag with spare clothes and boots. But when i got offroading i add tools, oils, recovery gear and case of water - wretchet strap it. Simple and effective, test this set up on our last off-road event: food, water and FIK for 2 other trucks in my team during lengthy recovery

theksmith

Explorer
I'm a flashlight lover too, but I do have to point out that it appears you have 3 seperately mounted lights all on one door. A light for each hand, plus the headlamp? :Wow1:

completely different purposes ;)
- the small eagletac AA light was general purpose most often used light for exploring mines/caves/whatever.
- the petzl zipka headlamp is probably used just as often, pretty much the goto light after dark around camp.
- the maglite with drop-in 700lm terrastar LED is like having hand-held jeep headlights - great for searching camp perimeter for that growling noise you just heard, not used often at all though.

i've since replaced the 2 flashlights with a single new eagletac that fits in my pocket but still can do 1100+ lumen, review of that here: https://theksmith.com/consumerism/eagletac-g25c2-mkii-1180-lumen-neutral-white-led-flashlight/

here's the new layout:

IMG_7924.JPG

and yeah, i have a lot of gear, and do enjoy it. to each their own - i've seen folks with way more and thought it was too much just like some folks find my setup to be overkill. i can say that use everything on the current door setup fairly often or it wouldn't be there (except for the fire extinguisher which of course one hopes to never need).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz