Post pictures of your cab management ideas

Wainiha

Explorer
Lost Bushman, that is a good point. Theft is high on my island with the ice heads needing to support their habit. There are lots here.

There is still some street justice here though.:violent-smiley-031:

Great thread. I guess I need to rethink my plans again.

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
Great thread and ideas. Thanks for sharing. I will be getting some pics together for my XJ organizational mods soon.

robert

Expedition Leader
Guys, I don't want to be the cold shower here, but have any of you guys ever considered the possibilities of your hardware being stolen?

I grew up in Phoenix, (The car theft capital of the galaxy), where the rule of thumb is that if you don't want it stolen, don't leave it your car. I carry this mindset until this day even though I live in a much less crime plagued area.

Mind you, I still carry a lot of gear in my truck, but when you look inside, all you see is what GM put there.

Anyone stowing their gear covertly?

BTW, (Despite my better judgement), my love for the desert will send me back to Phoenix soon.:safari-rig::REAdvRockClimber::26_16_2:

In addition to theft, you really need to be concerned about what could happen in the event of an accident/rollover- anything that is not well secured becomes a potential missile.

ert01

Adventurer
That's why I carry most of my gear in my pull out drawer in the back of my XJ. Keeps everything out of sight from onlookers and keeps everything contained in the event of an accident.

chevyz71

4x4 Z71
Here is some of my Cab management Ideas, it is mostly to try and be Ready for Emergency situation or be ready to go and camp or go for a Hike etc...IMG_0202.jpg I used a 1 inch pvc pipe, painted and screwed to the front console, so I can reach my flashlight so easy I just need to pull it up. Next to it A HF power inverter and a small lcd for Reverse . IMG_0203.jpg Here my custom made, mostly by me Sun visor. My surefire flashlight, emergency folding knife ,a Holder for my driving glasses, a little zipper pouch with Velcro for my moral patch's etc. IMG_0204.jpg here the back of the sun visor, this zipper black pouch is from blueridgeoverland it has Velcro to take down easy and anytime, that's where I keep my personal papers like insurance, registration. etc.. IMG_0207.jpg Here Back of my seat. again a Velcro Pouch first aid from blueridgeoverland. I used a EBAY MOLLE Vest to keep on reach my other MOLLE items, like my Nalgene Bottle water with some basic survival items a, my Leatherman tool knife , etc..

155mm

Adventurer
most of my immediate needs are attached to the door. a headlamp and small pocket knife stay in that black pocket, binoculars stay in the main door pocket and so do baby wipes usually.

P1070234.JPG

I'm a flashlight lover too, but I do have to point out that it appears you have 3 seperately mounted lights all on one door. A light for each hand, plus the headlamp? :Wow1:

biere

Observer
I tend to keep a small bright flashlight around for my use and the maglight is a good one to hand to someone needing a light. They can't forget it very easily. Maglights also tend to keep some folks attention better than other lights.

Lately I find that I want stuff in the vehicle but mostly out of site. Some stuff is only used for trips and what not so it can be kept in the house to some extent, something like the gps or whatever.

During the trip it usually finds itself in a sliding locking drawer under the seat, lots of sizes made for jeeps can be adapted to work with other stuff.

Some of the organizers for the old bench seat regular cab pickups are useful for other uses if you have a large flat area to cover.

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
I'm not judging, but there is a term we use in the military for "that guy" that goes through the catalogs and buys every piece of new, cool, "gotta have it" tactical gear, just so he can slap it on his kit and look cool. We call them "Geardo's". It's your prerogative if you want to cover every inch of you rig with molle pouches, 15 different kinds of lights, and 33 gerbers, but in my experience, less is more. Those guys end up stripping most of that crap off as soon as they actually deploy and realize that looking cool, doesn't mean being prepared. It's just me, but I'd save all the money some guys here are spending on "tactical gear" and buy more fuel to see the world.
Remarks complete.

Wise Old Jason

Founder, Wise Old Media
I'm not judging, but there is a term we use in the military for "that guy" that goes through the catalogs and buys every piece of new, cool, "gotta have it" tactical gear, just so he can slap it on his kit and look cool. We call them "Geardo's". It's your prerogative if you want to cover every inch of you rig with molle pouches, 15 different kinds of lights, and 33 gerbers, but in my experience, less is more. Those guys end up stripping most of that crap off as soon as they actually deploy and realize that looking cool, doesn't mean being prepared. It's just me, but I'd save all the money some guys here are spending on "tactical gear" and buy more fuel to see the world.
Remarks complete.

Roger that.

lugueto

Adventurer
Clips for the Maglite can be purchased anywhere the flashlights are sold, Walmart or Home Depot is a good start. Those clips dont't last though, you're better off buying Quick Fists, which are the clips holding the smaller flashlight.

rayra

Expedition Leader
The clips last a very long time, if they are somewhere they won't get bumped or snagged, and don't bear the full brunt of the weight of the Maglite. I kept a 3-cell mounted in a vertical position in the rear corner of my standard cab pickup, Maglite butt on the floor. Over 20yrs. It was easy to reach there, but protected.
I just recently stripped them out of that pickup (been parked in the driveway for a year, rarely used since I got my Sub, I should sell it) and transferred things to my Sub. I put the mounts on the side of the center console, down low between it and the driver seat. The bezel of the flashlight sits below and behind my knee when driving, out of the way but immediately to hand.

org03_zpsmc4oegp5.jpg

The other side of the console, I went ahead and mounted one of those seatbelt cutter / window breaker emergency tools. For the passenger mostly, I always have a serrated folding knife in my pocket.

org02_zpsh40avfr8.jpg

The console itself, I'm use a couple small zippered pouches, one for minor first aid and various over the counter meds, the other for various power and electronics support items, USB cords, memory cards etc.

org01_zpsdjeq72eb.jpg

In front of that, I build a custom middle console to replace the factory piece, which will house both CB and HAM radios.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ling-and-heavy-gage-power-lines-under-vehicle

console44_zpsyhnluyuo.jpg

And lastly a dash mount for a 7" android tablet.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ablet-GPS-mounts-please?p=2075866#post2075866

tabletbracket13_zpsdta0mgly.jpg

org04_zpsrobcluwu.jpg

I'm also adding USB outlets to the overhead console for my phone and a dashcam, and inside the center console to keep a bluetooth earpiece and the tablet charged when stored.

A larger first aid kit is in a vehicle cubby in the rear cargo area. medium size fire extinguisher is mounted just inside the rear hatch. When I get my platform / drawers built, the left drawer will be full of off-road and roadside emergency gear. I'm using a plastic footlocker tote now. And that's all under the factory cargo area shade. Basically there isn't much to see when looking in the window. All the electronics are / will be out of sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke