LR4 Winch

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I'm also in the market for a winch and see that most people use the the warn9.5, but isn't 9500lbs a bit on the low side for a fully loaded lr3/lr4?? Since these vehicles can easily get up to 8k lbs in weight? Would the 9.5k winch be able to pull the vehicle on an incline or if stuck in mud or sand?

A 9,5000 lb.—10,000 lb. winch would be fine for most applications.

- Andy

unseenone

Explorer
I've got an XD9000 on my LR3 with a Devon D44 discrete winch mount. A little bigger can't necessarily hurt, but you can also ask yourself, how often and in what conditions do you anticipate winching in.

I'm not here to disparage warns mounting system for the LR3/4 (if they have one) or anyone other system. If you want a discreet winch, it is a good choice. I never felt like winch trays were all that strong, at least compared to the Devon.

The Devon completely replaces the inner bumper (tin) and has an integrated tray. It is very very tough, and very very solid. It also has some pretty hefty loops built in. If I were doing it again, and chose to go discrete I really like the option.

I'll provide you a link here to my gallery with a few photos if it is useful, you can PM me if you want for more details. The Devon is available with board sponsor http://www.lucky8llc.com Justin @ lucky8llc.com and he's a pleasure to work with.

As far as the concept of using synthetic line to save weight, seems like a joke to me, when you consider the weight of a winch, bumper, mounting system, etc. I do have Synthetic line fitted, but I did not fit it to save weight. I saved weight by not adding an ARB bumper. I finally ended up fitting 80' of synthetic line and a decent safety hook from board sponsors http://www.masterpull.com/ and an additional 50' extension. You can also use a snatch block, which can reduce the workload, etc, etc.

I understand everyone has an opinion, and a personal like or dislike. I am providing this information just to try and help show another option.

Gallery; http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=21898

P1010581-s.JPG

20130701_143957-s.JPG

PM Me for info LR3/4 RRS Differentials, transfer cases, transmissions.

Last edited:

Dmarchand

Adventurer
I don't believe Devon imports to the US anymore, at least that is what their US distributor states. I just mounted a Terrafirma (would rather it be the D44 though) tray which looks awfully the same as the RLD tray, but that is speculation on my part. Anyway, Warn Zeon 10 winch is extremely tight and requires some 5lb hammer manipulation around the freespool release. Other than that, just a lot of time invested in trimming the black plastic and chasing down hardware. You can mount your plate using the Rugged Ridge Hawse fairlead license plate holder. Works without mod to PDC.

IMG_1040.jpgIMG_1052.jpg

unseenone

Explorer
It looks pretty nice as well. You're right, they are not selling them in the US anymore. That's too bad..

Last edited:

B.A.Rafea

Hi Dmarchand, can you please show me your driving lights mounting system. It looks very impressive, and avoids drilling into the bumper.
Thanks.

unseenone

Explorer
I do like that system as well, I already have the wiring installed... what you got, how's it work... pics and info please.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Pretty simple setup. Use the existing holes on the outer grille support. Use weatherpack connectors on the lights if you want to be able to remove them easily. I used all aluminum (1/4" or more thick) and bolted it together rather than tig welds as I want flexibility in changing the mounts. The stock is strong, I've been through a number of car washes, long trips, etc. Held up without issue.

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

unseenone

Explorer
Mine is a push button toggle on the dash, on the panel just to the left of the center a/c duct outlet. There is a removable panel there.. I'm curious what specific lights these are.. or what anyone is using.

EIGHTLUG

Observer
Is there anyone with the Front Runner winch plate and a Warn Zeon winch? If so is it a smooth install into the LR3/4? How durable is the plate?

mcieplinski

Adventurer
I would highly recommend you take a couple days and make a trip to OEX in CT or GA and get some fundamental training. This isn't just for yourself but anyone you wheel with benefits and is safer for doing so and retaining/practicing. The dynamics of winching with a large vehicle are completely different and infinitely more dangerous than ATV's.

With that, I can say that in another week or so when my winch shows up, I'll be installing the terrafirma hidden winch tray and zeon 10 winch. So I'll have more followup. Only a few options on the market. ARB bull bar, retrofitting RTE or other LR3 bumpers, Factory winch tray that is outside the bumper, and the hidden winch trays such as Devon or Terrafirma.

I'm going hidden because the LR4 is more of my family vehicle and i really like how the stock front end looks. I also want it to be minimalistic in a sense because my d-90 is a modified beast.

Hi - I am about to pull the plug on the TerraFirma LR4 hidden winch. Could you let me know whether it was difficult to instal (aprox how many hours?) Also - judging from your experience, is it sturdy enough for a LR4? Finally, I saw that you installed a Zeon 10. I am thinking of a superwinch 9.5 SR. I don't think I should have any fitment isues but please advice if you think otherwise.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best,

Michal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior