LR4 Winch

Dmarchand

Adventurer
The install is no picnic. It is not really difficult as in requiring special tools or knowledge. But does take a large amount of time. Bumper removal alone if your first time (youtube is your reference)is probably going to take an hour with the skid plate if you do it right, catalogue the fasteners, etc. Buying new fasteners, etc and multiple trips to the hardware store will eat up a lot of time as well. All told will take a solid day to install if you don't do anything else.

So far has proved pretty sturdy. I had to fabricate a spacer for behind the bumper fascia to connect in the space between fascia and winch tray to space the fairlead out correctly. That part, is not discussed by most.

Otherwise I can't speak to your winch choice. But I will stress that you MAKE SURE you can access the freespool release once the bumper fascia is refitted. I can bet it will take multiple fittings and work to get it right.

I put some more notes in this post on another site, hopefully it helps. : http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24678&highlight=winch

Last edited:

spammer

I'm considering hidden when I get my vehicle, but am also looking at ARB bar. Does anyone know how much extra clearance you get with the ARB? Is the approach angle difference significant?

Scott Brady

Founder
I don't believe Devon imports to the US anymore, at least that is what their US distributor states. I just mounted a Terrafirma (would rather it be the D44 though) tray

View attachment 172202View attachment 172200

Nice work David. super clean.

I went with the ARB bull bar and Warn 9500 with Viking line.
1239761_10152179050878275_2117185432_n.jpg

Dmarchand

Adventurer
How does the 9.5XP-s compare to the Zeon 10-s with the LR3/LR4?

Thanks Scott!

The Zeon is marketed as less corrosion prone and better sealed. The D4 is my DD and I live in salt country so that is the reason I went with it, along with the lower mount of the winch. I use a 9.5xp on my d-90. Both are dependable.

jerdog53

Explorer
I see Urban Off-road sells a hidden winch mount, anybody have experience with it or them for that matter?

Sending elections from my electron sending device....

rcbush

jerdog53, what did you end up going with?

I am in the market and pretty sure I am going to go with a hidden setup.

I was looking at the front runner setup, but doin't see any mention of the fairlead on the website...

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
There is a guy on DiscoWeb.org that has an OEM Land Rover LR3/LR4 hidden winch mount and Warn 9.5 cti for sale still in the boxes. It is on page two of the parts for sale page.

Hope that helps.
D

ps The mount is not available anymore to my knowledge from LRNA.

jerdog53

Explorer
jerdog53, what did you end up going with?

I am in the market and pretty sure I am going to go with a hidden setup.

I was looking at the front runner setup, but doin't see any mention of the fairlead on the website...

I haven't done anything yet but most likely will be this.

jerdog53

Explorer
It has been decided! I will do the Devon D44 discreet mount!! Thanks Todd for answering all my thousands of questions!!

unseenone

Explorer
Anyone else that wants one, might consider getting on it, I'm sure Justin can do better on price if he can order multiples.

When you get ready to install let me know, there are a couple of little tips I can provide you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior