Atlantic British oil pump

Hugh166

Observer
Hey guys, I have been lurking here for a bit and always find great information and was wondering if you can help me out a bit. I have a 2001 d2 with about 130k on it. Just this weekend it stated making a lot of noise on start up like a dry start. The oil pressure light is turning off in a normal amount of time. the dry start noise lasts about 5 seconds and then once the engine is running and warm everything is normal. I noticed that the front cover is leaking a bit and my oil level is just the slightest bit low. I haven't put a gauge on it yet but will soon. Is not DD so it can sit until I get more time. I am going to change the front cover and oil pan gasket and was thinking with the noise and mileage that replacing the oil pump itself would be a good idea. I see Atlantic British has these pump gears for sale for $100 which is a lot better than $500+ for the entire front cover assembly. Does anyone have any experience with this part from ab, good or bad? Thanks and any input you guys have on this is appreciated.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
It is unlikely the oil pump that is the problem, considering the symptoms you describe. Does your Discovery have secondary air injection?

Hugh166

Observer
No it doesn't have secondary air. I doubt the pump is the cause of the noise, i think its from the oil being low. The truck doesn't get driven a ton so it will sit for days at a time. Km going to top the oil up to correct level tonight and then start it and see how it sounds. I'm looking into replacing the pump as a preemptive measure. If I'm taking the front cover off to fix the leak, why not replace a pump has 130k on it? Especially when it's out and right there.

Hugh166

Observer
Ok so an update..I aded 1.5 qts of oil, which brought the level up to the proper amount, and started the truck, found the noise to be there just a second or 2 and then run fine. I allowed the truck to idle for about 15 minutes and found everything to be running well. I shut it down and before i left for work this morning I started it up and found there was no noise at all like there was before, so the noise was just due to low oil level. the low oil level is from the leak from the front timing cover and the oil pan, so atleast ive made headway and figuring out where the noise was from and what was causing it and its not catastrophic (i hope so far). So I'm going to order parts to fix the leak this week. No one has any experience with the atlantic british oil pump?
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8979.cfm

Im looking for any feedback as to the reliability of this part? Any issues? Any rave reviews? Anyone used it at all? I figure if im taking the front cover off a truck with 130k miles and the pump is right there why not change it..especially for $100

evilfij

Explorer
The issue in my experience is that the cover wears away, not the gears, but no way to know until it is off. Also the oil starvation can be from any number of sources, most often a clogged oil pick up, not a bad like pump.

BirchHill

goat farmer
I used that gear set and it has been functioning fine, I maybe have around 20k miles on it. If you have any concerns regarding your oil pressure you really need to hook it up to a gauge and verify you are in specs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne