Trak Shak in the US

bundy69

Gidday Guys

Mate you have a great camper there as we have one here over in oz yes very quick to set up and break camp

Byfield.JPGphoto 18.jpgphoto 25.jpg

TankShooter

Expedition Acolyte
Thanks for posting this. I've actually been designing something almost identical in my head to place on a 5x8 utility trailer. I want to be able to slide it on and off to permit using the trailer for other functions. Since I'll be doing the work myself and I don't plan on producing more than one for me, I'm going to go and peruse their website for a bit. It looks like a really fun and usable package.

mandm1516

Another Trak Shak!

ClickClick--I haven't been on here much but was glad to check in and see your post. I had what I thought was the only Trak Shak in the states until today! Ours is a 2007. Just got back from 14 days camping with ours in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho, the Cascades of Oregon, down the Oregon coast, back through the Crater Lake area and home to Salt Lake City. We've had ours for 2 years and have had a blast with it. Hard to find something this small, this able to get off the beaten path, and still house a family of 5 plus dog.

we run a small 12v fan during the day have have an 80q Dometic fridge in ours--the solar panel kept the battery topped off throughout the trip. We have 5 jerry cans for water and 4 for gas--an unnecessary precaution I thought until seeing how remote parts of northern Nevada and central Oregon are when getting 12 mpg.

I hope you have a blast with yours. I don't have any tips/tricks to share other than use it and get used to talking about it when you stop--it's been a great way to meet some very cool people in our travels.

If you ever need help I've reached out to Trak Shak a few times--great folks who have been more than willing to walk me through things I couldn't figure out on my own (initially mostly dealing with the solar panel control unit).

Mike
CIMG0919.jpgCIMG0887.JPG3na8.jpgf248.jpg19u3.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG0891.jpg
    CIMG0891.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 77
Mike-

glad to see your on the forum. When I was buying mine, I saw reference to yours on the site (At least i'm guessing it was yours) You bought yours a couple of years ago from a guy that towed it with a wrangler, as advertised as a dealer sample? Any more details on how yours got to the US?

When I first found this one on the local craigslist I assumed it was the same one at first, last the 2007 was for sale it was in Ohio. Weird that both of these campers ended up in the midwest. Also looks like yours in the exact same as ours minus the solar: Canvas, ect. I know there were some changes throughout the years. Is yours a solid axle, or independent coils?

We've had ours out 3 times since we bought it. Sadly nothing off the beaten path yet, it just hasn't fit the schedule. We have gotten used to people stopping and asking what it is/ where to buy one/ "wow, that's cool", ect. Gas Stations, restaurants, campgrounds, Indy 500. Draws a crowd, that's for sure.

Are you using the stock kitchen setup? I'd like to add another awning to ours off the top of the boat rack, and some sort of shelf that would also fold down from the boat rack where I can set some sort of lockable kitchen setup. It kinda gets old getting in / out of the storage box to get to the essentials. I'll figure something out as we keep using it, seems no matter what kind of camper, they're always evolving.

You should post up your own thread, and some more pictures. . .

Casey

another story that someone might enjoy. A member of my family moved to australia about 10 years ago and got married. We have a large family reunion every few years, where we camp all weekend, and they usually come back for that. This time, they brought some of their australian friends.

Their australian friends were quite excited to see the camper, and talk about it. They have a Conquerer back home, and have some friends that have a Trak Shak. they know the campers fairly well, and were happy to see a piece of home in the middle of the US. Before we left, they took some pictures to send into their 4wd camping magazine hoping to win a engle fridge.

mandm1516

Casey--good luck on the fridge!

The story as I understand it is that Trak Shak sent mine to the states as a dealer demo hoping someone would decide to be a distributor/dealer. Cost was too high to import them, and too expensive to send it back so it stayed. It was sold to the guy I bought it from in Ohio (we drove to Nebraska to pick it up).

Mine has the independent suspension and I do use the standard kitchen. I switched the kitchen to the front gate so the fridge would be inside the tent but after setting up/breaking down camp a bunch on our latest adventure I'm switching it back--we're not in the fridge a lot and lugging all the kitchen stuff to under the awning and back takes a while. I replaced the original fridge with a bigger 80q one and have a Camp Chef weekender stove which leaves a perfect amount of space for a Mr. Heater Aqua Cube hot water heater (more expensive than Zodi or the Coleman, but awesome!). I'd like another awning on mine too--just trying to figure out how I want to do it. With the solar panel I'm always concerned about how/where we set up to ensure the panel gets decent sun exposure which means we're also in the sun.

I'm sure you've figured yours out after 3 trips, but just in case, when we fold ours up, we leave 2 big puffy queen sized sleeping bags plus 6 pillows, the ladder, a down comforter and a blanket. We keep it all on the lower mattress when folded, toward the inside by the hinge. It folds up pretty easily like that, even with so much stuff.

I don't have a ton of pics of the trailer all set up, but here are a few more. First one you can see the kitchen set up (stove is red).
w3tj.jpg
eho8.jpg

Firesong

Actually the are pretty simple to stow away in the wind. They collapse down and flip back in.

Rain is about the same. Being water proof the exterior may be wet but the inner lining stays dry. Australia has some killer rain storms. The wet season is crazy.

Same principle as my Kamparoo but bigger (again from Aussie ). We have put it away wet. (Week of wet) and the inside stays dry Mattress is good to go. I was impressed with how quick it dries out too.

Had the camper out a few time. Went to land between the lakes in Kentucky, and a couple of local state parks/ national forests. Also got a new tow rig. Much better than the Cherokee.

detail of Land Between the Lakes Trip:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ational-Recreation-Area?p=1666458#post1666458

also figured out that the Yeti "Roadie" coolers fit in the jerry can mounts almost perfectly. Got 2 of them for a song, and put them in the front 2 jerry can holders

Last edited:
Loved the xj, and still have it but the H3T is really a better vehicle. More powerful, more comfortable, more storage, ect. I'll concede that I'd rather have a sfa instead though.

It's the truck everyone has been begging jeep to make, and then no one bought because it was a hummer.

TomP

Observer
This Trak Shak caught my eye because I have been looking at this trailer for sometime. I liked everything about it but the weight. Especially that you could carry a boat and motor and have it swing out of the way for tent deployment.

However, I have been looking at it on the following link:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2014-Australia-popular-off-road-camping_618900702.html

Here the name is "Heavy Duty Off Road Camper Trailer LH-CPT-10 or 2014 Australia popular off road camping trailer" and its price is a little more reasonable at US $5,500 - 6,200 / Unit! The only problem is that a person would need to buy 2 units minimum. Which I think is a half sized cargo container full. Maybe, if 2 people wanted to get one they could pool their resources and place one order?

Tom

After I posted this I found the link didn't work for me at least. I just typed alibaba.com and after reaching their web page copy and pasted either of the two names above into the search box and found the right page.

Last edited:
They are a little heavy, but they're also much bigger than most other tent trailers. The XJ towed it, but it wasn't necessarily happy about it. It's much more at home behind the H3T.

The boat loader is nice, we've loaded up both kayaks, and stopped for a night to break up the drive. Flipped them up out of the way, and had the tent up in about 10 minutes w/o the awning. Would have taken that long to unload the boats with most any other camper.

Not sure if you are aware, but for a while trak shak was having these produced in china, and then imported back into Australia, this lead to a lot of complaints about the quality of the welding, paint, and most importantly the canvas. If I recall correctly, the chassis are now still made in china, but much improved. They've also went back to australian canvas. Even though mine is 100% australian made it has also started to rust a bit, especially around the chrome plated latches. I suppose it's mostly due to the differences in climates, the paint isn't prepped like what it would be here. It's certainly not bad yet, but something i'll need to address in a few years. One of the consequences of needing to store this outside.

The canvas on this thing is the thickest nicest canvas i've ever seen. Boy scout/ army A frame tents i've used in years past don't even compare. It's seriously thick stuff, and we've been in a few absolute downpours without a leak yet.

With that said, for the amount of money they're asking for the chinese version, i'd seriously consider it if I was in the market. Should be excellent value for the money if you can get the logistics sorted out.

TomP

Observer
I hope that you don't think that I was saying you made any type of mistake in purchasing your trailer as I think that they are as near to perfection for my use as there is. I was very happy to see who was selling them at the retail level. Anyone that does all the work to get them out to the public should make a good profit. Because I have a Jeep TJ I moved on to a lighter trailer, but if I would have seen yours for sale I would have been trying to get it.

I would like to ask you two questions. Do you know the lifting force of the struts use to assist opening the the top? I have a Livin Lite Jeep popup tent trailer. The lid of the trailer box is hinged along the driver's side and opens out like your Trak Shak to rest on support legs when open. I have been looking at the mounting of the lift struts on the Trak Shak and plan to incorporate that design on my trailer. Opening and closing the top is, in my opinion, the biggest drawback to this other wise fine trailer (I have heard a lot complaining about their price also). I have found struts up to 562 lbs of force and as short compressed as 10". I was also wondering if the struts are able to hold it in the vertical position as you adjust the tent or move to a better position to lower the top.

Thanks for your help and again great trailer!

Tom

Hi Tom, didn't take it that way at all. It's all about tradeoffs size/features vs. weigh, no arguments there.

No idea of the lifting force of the struts on the boat loader, or the top, I just went out and looked and the brand is Stabilus Lift-O-Matic. Too faded to read anything else. I've heard that Trak Shak is really helpful, you might shoot them an email. The struts won't hold the top perfectly vertical, but you can easily lift it, and then hold the top up. I'm also a big/tall guy so it makes it easy to manage. Would be a handful for 1 smaller person, but then who takes a camper this big out by themselves.

That livin lite looks like a nice camper as well, I was looking for a fleetwood neon, or an old nimrod or similar, when I happened upon this. I didn't really need anything this big either, especially with just me and the wife, but there's probably kids in the future and the price/location was right. I just upsized the tow vehicle to fit.... Not sure how intelligent that decision was, LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles