I'm brand new to motorcycles

Raw7s

Adventurer
Wanting to Buy: dirt bike for 1 day trail rides. I'm not wanting something super powerful that can get me going 60 mph down a dirt road, nor do I care to do any wheelies. Something easy to handle on trails my H3T can't fit down, and can climb a steep hill when I need it to. I plan on hauling it in the back of my truck to where I plan to ride it. So it does not need to be street legal.

about myself: I'm 26yo, 5'10", 165 lbs, I'm athletic and coordinated, a fast learner, I've driven standards more than automatics. I'm sure I could learn how to ride one quickly, as long as it's not one that will kill or seriously injure me first.

The only time I've even been on a motorcycle was when I was kid and I rode with my dad on his VMax, other than that, nothing. I'm not even sure what to look for. I've been doing some research for the past couple weeks, and this is what I've gathered(?)

-a 2 stroke would be too much for me
-bikes are flexible with the options you can add
-I need to sit on some to see what's comfortable for me

My budget is about $2000. I just want a fun toy to use to explore where my truck can't go.

Are there any years or models that would likely fit my price range I should stay away from?

thanks for any and all help

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I'll throw a couple out there to consider/look in to:

KLX250 or Super Sherpa
TW200

One thing about bikes that isn't obvious to the uninitiated- you mentioned hill climbs. I thought so too. Hill climbs take speed. I also thought I'd be putting around taking the trail slow and enjoying the scenary. Not quite what I thought. The bike is more work to handle going slow than it is with some speed. I found with my KLR650, that putting around in first gear wasn't practical. There were times that second gear was easier to handle, but faster than I wanted to ride.

So if your not concerned about street legal, why not a fourwheeler?

I wanted my KLR so that I could ride it to where I wanted to go, then ride it there when I arrived.

Raw7s

Adventurer
I'll throw a couple out there to consider/look in to:

KLX250 or Super Sherpa
TW200

One thing about bikes that isn't obvious to the uninitiated- you mentioned hill climbs. I thought so too. Hill climbs take speed. I also thought I'd be putting around taking the trail slow and enjoying the scenary. Not quite what I thought. The bike is more work to handle going slow than it is with some speed. I found with my KLR650, that putting around in first gear wasn't practical. There were times that second gear was easier to handle, but faster than I wanted to ride.

So if your not concerned about street legal, why not a fourwheeler?

I wanted my KLR so that I could ride it to where I wanted to go, then ride it there when I arrived.

good advice

I have been seriously considering a 4wheeler also, but a 4wheeler is more expensive and EVERYBODY around here has one. I think I'd like the maneuverability of a dirt bike and the freedom. I've mountain biked a lot, and I enjoy the 2 wheels. I rode my friend's 4wheeler a couple weeks ago(Polaris 850), and it felt like a car, or for someone afraid to let go of their training wheels. Since I have a very capable truck with 4 wheels, I'd rather get something that can fit down the single tracks trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier