Land Rover goes Green

KevinNY

Adventurer
Blah, Blah , Blah... Marketing. Carbon offsets= liberal guilt tokens. The greenest thing you can do with a landie is keep the old ones running.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
KevinNY said:
Blah, Blah , Blah... Marketing. Carbon offsets= liberal guilt tokens. The greenest thing you can do with a landie is keep the old ones running.

Exactly! The greenest thing you can do is stop buying new cars. Rebuild, recycle, reuse the ones you have.

Scott Brady

Founder
KevinNY said:
The greenest thing you can do with a landie is keep the old ones running.

Yes! Which is why I bought the one I wanted new in 1994. By the time I have the diesel installed, I will have recycled, reused and reduced, all the while saving quite a bit of dough.

Combined with the fact that I have no commute to the office, I would not be suprised if I have 10% of the environmetal impact of that new Prius owner.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I wonder...

Old series landies were machine stamped metal/aluminum and put together by hand. Prius use computers to be put together...

So what created the least footprint to make - the old series landies or the prius?

So what will create the least footprint to destroy - the old series landies or the prius?

The prius might create less of a footprint while on the road, but how many of them need to be "made" and "destroyed" to equal the lifespan of one series landie?

And another thing to consider: the more money it takes to purchase a prius has to be earned... how much of a footprint is created to earn that extra money?

:gunt:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Posting this thread I knew it would get the response it did. Initially I felt the same way "Big Corporation Jumps on the Green Bandwagon". But in the end does it really matter why you/they turn toward the Green Side ?

The big picture is we have screwed up the eco-system of the planet and we need to do something about it. Does it matter if it's Land Rover replacing charcoal burning stove in Uganda or a philanthropic organization planting trees somewhere? The results are the same.

We need get to the tipping point where as a world populace we are Green. If big business is part of that isn't that OK? Or is it only valid if the Greening of the world is done by grassroots organizations?

Did you catch the piece in the podcast where he said something like "European governments are subsidizing bio-diesel so it can grow into a viable fuel" So can governments also become involved? If government can be involved why not big business? One thing Al Gore preaches is going green and being environmentally friendly can be rewarding for big business in and of itself.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:
But in the end does it really matter why you/they turn toward the Green Side ?
That is a very valid point and I believe you are absolutely correct on that Martyn.

SeaRubi

Explorer
Hey I'm on a roll here :wings:

Do you wake up in the middle of the nite in cold sweats because of your carbon footprint? Well, if you do, then ...

WALK. :shakin:

Otherwise, let's get on with the overland travel.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
SeaRubi said:
Hey I'm on a roll here :wings:

Do you wake up in the middle of the nite in cold sweats because of your carbon footprint? Well, if you do, then ...

WALK. :shakin:

Otherwise, let's get on with the overland travel.

New concept.... Green Overland Travel….. you should try it it’s good for everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles