The Dirt Lab

AuntieM

Observer
Progress

We have been slowly making progress. All of the electrical lines have been re-run. The upper cabinets have been reorganized and are back in place. The guys have started to run the propane lines. We will have plenty of room for storage and only the cook top and On Demand water heater will run off propane. Our plans have changed several times, and I am sure they will change again. Originally a 15 x 8 box seemed enormous, but it gets filled up quickly. We are going with a Nova Cool 12v/120 side by side refrigerator, I know it's big, but the size really works well. We have a Thetford C200 cassette toilet and we think we have the bath figured out. Hopefully, more updates soon. Propane bottle.jpg

Last edited:
Da wife posted the update. The systems we have installed are :

Atwood OD-50 on demand water heater
Propex heater
reconfigured 12v electrical wiring

To be installed:
Thetford cassette toilet
Novacool 7501 fridge
Xantrex 2500 inverter

The water tanks have been ordered and will also be installed soon.

The work is progressing. However, the 100+ degree weather definately has an impact on our momentum.

Finally here are some photos of our progress. Things are coming together more quickly now. The propane and water lines are run, as well as all the electrical that has been rerouted. We had difficulty finding a shower pan for the cassette toilet. We now highly recommend Sierra Engineering. The quality is far superior to the other pans we tried and their customer service can not be beat. We received the pan in less than a week, instead of the 3-5 weeks the other "custom" shops wanted.
NovaCool Fridge.jpgNovaCool fridge has arrived
New shower pan and cassette toilet.jpgAfter 5 attempts, we finally found a shower pan that will accommodate the cassette toilet On Demand Water Heater.jpg OnDemand water heater installed
New exterior Led lights.jpgNew LED light on the exteriors

We will keep you updated as things come together. We hope to have the interior done in another 4 weeks.

super04duty

Observer
I see you're in Apple Valley. Thats not too far of a drive, and not too bad of a drive from me in Pasadena. Id like to check this rig out one of these days, and am always down to help out with things. (though, the next 2 months or so are booked solid, with work, and starting back to school (first time in 10 years, pretty excited to have the chance to do it again), and of course, getting married in Sept.)

PROPANE
I used a combination of BLACK PIPE and FLARE FITTINGS. Use black pipe 1/2" to deliver the propane to the sector where you need it, then use 3/8" copper tubing(refrigeration line) to make the final run to your appliance. OK that is the big picture. The copper line attaches to the black pipe via flare fittings. Determine where you want the copper line to exit the black pipe and install a T in the pipe.. With the T you have female threads. Screw in a male 3/8" flare fitting. Now you are ready to run this line to one appliance. Most appliances, heaters etc. will come with a 3/8" male flare. If not, you may have to a bit of mixing and matching to end up with the 3/8" male. There is no magic with the 3/8" size, it's just that there a more types of fittings available in this size. To connect your copper line you will need a female FF(flare fitting) on each end. To achieve this you will need a flaring tool. I was able to borrow one, but they are available at a modest cost. You don't need the best one as the copper tubing is very soft. OK here goes, slide the female flare nut on to the line and then use the flare tool to flare the end of the tubing. Repeat on the other end and you are done. Screw the female flare not onto the male flare that is on the appliance and you are done. A few more details. All pipe joints will require yellow pipe dope because of the propane. DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE!! The flare fittings seal themselves. I brought one run of pipe in from the bay where my tanks and regulator are located and then used tees to take the pipe to the sectors where it was needed. Once you have your hands on the parts it is obvious how they go together. To test for leaks "soap" the joints. Use childrens bubble solution for best results. Remember the pressure of the propane AFTER the regulator is quite low. Call me if you need help. Ed 909-205-1013

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I can't I've ever seen yellow pipe dope before. I have seen yellow teflon tape but that only indicates the density of the teflon material, not a different composition. I believe the concern with teflon tape is that if any shards break off in the gas stream than it could block the complete closing of a valve downstream. With proper teflon tape installation this shouldn't be a concern. With dope, this wouldn't be a concern either.

SG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior