2nd Gen Tundra On The Move

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Well after a long break due to my poor Tundra being hit in the rear by some careless cellphone user, she is all fixed up and ready to see some more action. Sorry for the delay guys. More reports to come.

fowldarr

Explorer
We have a few trails here in wyoming that I can't run in my truck, but there are plenty that I can, and with a family of six (I have the front bench seat) there is no way I could go anywhere of any real distance in anything other than a full size.

FullTankHank

Adventurer
The way I figure it, there are more than enough trails out there that are big enough to keep me occupied for a good while. And if there is something that I really want to see that would be too tight a fit, I just put my pair of Vasque's on and get walking.

Taken your tundra anywhere cool lately?

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Well, wheels are in motion and mods are finally starting to happen. First thing to go was the P-rated Nitto's. While they did ok on the highway, they were way too soft for offroad use, and were wearing too quickly. The last thing I want to do is get a flat out in the middle of nowhere because the P-rated tires were out of their element.

After much research here on Expo with the choices others have made, I felt confident going with Cooper Tires. Got a great deal locally on a new set of S/T Maxx.

Mounted this morning.
attachment.php

attachment.php

My initial impressions were they looked great, and they downright amazed me in the sound department. They are a bit quieter than the Nitto's were even though these are E range:Wow1:

Next order of business to be sorted out over the next couple weeks are suspension mods, and getting a DCU ordered up.

Now to go give the tires a test this weekend:sombrero:

FullTankHank

Adventurer
SnugTop Sport Hi-liner ordered up today. Will be nice to have the shell finally on.:wings:

Next up, I am trying to still decide which suspension components to order up. Thinking about possibly going with Fox's 2.0 Trail Kit.

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Thanks Gregster I figured I would bump the tires only and inch from stock size this time, and see where they get me. Perhaps later, if I find myself needing more capability, I will go ahead and re-gear for 35's. But, I am going to try to keep the upgrades on this build down to the necessities, or at least as much as possible.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Here is to practicality...

Great start! I have found that my options are limited in regards to where I take my Tundra. I know going through Medano pass last year, I took every bit of the width on the trail. Having said that, my 3/1 lift suits me just fine, I feel as though it gives me the additional clearance that I need, improves the overall stance of the rig, and functions well off road...

Looking good!

Regards,

BWJ

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Thanks Johnny:sombrero:

I hear you on the width. I think if I ever get to the point that I want to explore areas too tight for the Tundra, I will probably build something small and fun to tow, like a samurai or something similar.

I got a couple ?'s for you about your lift.

Did you install a diff drop and carrier bearing drop with it?

Have you had any problems with your steering rack after installing?

Thanks ahead of time for the response.

I am still stuck on deciding what to do for the suspension. I'm not sure if I should keep it cheap and simple at first, and just install some Bilstein 5100's front and back, along with some shackles for the rear. Or should I bite the bullet and go with a 3/1 coilover setup like Johnny? I'm not going to be doing any desert running or anything, mostly lighter trails, fire roads, blm land, etc.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
suspension evolution...

FullTankHank,

I began my suspension journey by getting the Toytec Ultimate lift with a Deaver-add-a-leafs. This was roughly a 3/1 lift. I did add the diff drop on mine. After adding all of my ExPo stuff, I noticed that the factory leafs began to sag. I ended up buying some coachbuilder 2" rear shackles and got the height that I wanted. However, over time, I noticed more sag on the factory leafs. The sagging became worse, so I upgraded and got the OME / dakar leaf springs with OME add-a-leafs. My rig no longer has a california rake, and the handing of the truck is much improved. Looking back, I should have gone straight to the OME leaf pack with the 2" shackles...Live and learn.

I have not experienced any steering rack issues with the Toytec lift. I did install the carrier bearing bracket, and I no longer have that slight shudder at take off...

I would say go for as much as you can afford. If you do it right the first time, you won't have to re-visit this issue ever again. If you want to go ala carte, I have a set of Deaver-add-a-leafs that I can sell you...:sombrero:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Big Update

Unfortunately I have been really swamped with work lately, and have been unable to really get out at all. The only upside is that I was able to sneak in a lot of work on the tundra to get it ready. Now that worked has eased up, I am getting all geared up to start getting out asap.

First thing was first, and I got the shell that I ordered installed on the truck. I must say the SnugTop brand has definitely met my expectations in terms of build quality. I am so glad I got the hi rise model. I instantly knew I made the right choice when I got in and was able to sit up no problem.

It feels cavernous compared to when I had a shell on a 1st gen Tacoma.

attachment.php

Next up was building a sleeping platform that would allow me to have room to place a Thetford toilet, which was a requirement by the better half.

Here it is from taping up a mockup, up to a completed and carpeted form. Not too terrible for very little previous wood working experience and limited tools.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After the sleeping sitch was sorted, it was time to move to suspension. I decided to go with 5100's and Deaver AAL for now to help stiffen things up a bit. I decided to sort of take bigwapitijohnny advice, and get this budget setup for the mean time while I save up the coin for a full custom valved setup from Kings. It rides so much better than stock. The body-roll from the shell is completely gone, and not to mention it doesn't look terrible.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now to go break it in with some camping this weekend:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

MotoDave

Explorer
Truck looks good, very much the same route that I am going with my Tundra. I'm also working through the details of a sleeping platform (in my brain-cad program), hope to get it built this summer.

It doesn't seem like the shell and platform add too much weight to the back, what was your reason for adding the rear AAL springs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior