2nd Gen Tundra On The Move

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Thanks Dave

From my experience with every other Toyota truck I have owned, the stock springs sagged after a while of having a shell on. I wanted to avoid this, especially once all my gear is loaded down in back as well. Not to mention I hated how the rear felt after having the shell installed, way too loose for my tastes. The AAL along with the 5100's stiffened it up enough to make it ride in a much more controlled manner.

Plus I wanted a little bit of rake with the truck still, as I am not a fan of the completely level look, as on some trucks like ours it almost makes it look nose high.

Last edited:

KodiakTundra907

FullTankHank...thanks for your thread. I have a 2012 Tundra. I will be keeping an eye on your build. I just joined this site coz of the wide range of people and vehicle. Came from tundratalk.net and I believe I'll have more success finding my answers here about Outlanders.

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Welcome to Expo Kodiak:ylsmoke:

I think you will like it here, though us 2nd gens are far an few between on this site. Glad to have you along for the thread though :sombrero:

You will definitely find a wealth of knowledge on this site. Be sure to post pics of your own truck sometime.

KodiakTundra907

Welcome to Expo Kodiak:ylsmoke:

I think you will like it here, though us 2nd gens are far an few between on this site. Glad to have you along for the thread though :sombrero:

You will definitely find a wealth of knowledge on this site. Be sure to post pics of your own truck sometime.

Thank you. Ya was losing hope to find a forum regarding turning these 2nd Gens into overlanders. My tundra getting to big for me especially after selling all the other toys I had to haul/tow. Before seeing a few threads here I was on the works of trading it in for a Tacoma or the FJ. But I'll wait it out and search for more.

KodiakTundra907

Hey Kodiaktundra907 I've scene your truck around town a bunch welcome to expo!

Thanks uscg2008! You have a great build going on. I work downtown so its easy to spot my radiant red tundra with black flares. Hardly see your ride but I dont drive down the base often until fishing season anyways.

uscg2008

Explorer
THanks bud, ya I live on base. You need to start a build thread so everyone can follow along even if you don't have much to add to it at first

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Thank you. Ya was losing hope to find a forum regarding turning these 2nd Gens into overlanders. My tundra getting to big for me especially after selling all the other toys I had to haul/tow. Before seeing a few threads here I was on the works of trading it in for a Tacoma or the FJ. But I'll wait it out and search for more.

If it were me I would definitely wait it out, and see what you are planning to do. If you like the tundra, and don't see yourself taking it on any tight trails or rock crawling, I would just keep it and make it your own to enjoy. Just my opinion.

FullTankHank

Adventurer
I purchased a 3" sheet of medium/high density memory foam, and cut it to match the bed layout. Although I forgot to take pics of it. It seemed to work pretty well this past weekend, when I tested it on a little camping trip into the foothills near me. Much more comfortable than a blowup mattress/pad, and nearly the same price.

I also installed a tailgate seal from Extang, to help keep the dust and water out. The installation for this was very straight forward, and easy to do. It definitely made a huge difference, and so far seems like a decent quality product. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Extang-1140-M...e=UTF8&qid=1400076519&sr=8-2&keywords=maxseal

Now, I am in the process of building a portable power pack with a MinnKota battery box, and a deep cycle AGM marine battery.

---------------------

Here are a couple cheesy obligatory shots from the small trip this last weekend in the SJ Foothills:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Later this week I am going to probably go down to Hollister OHV and stretch the Tundra's legs a bit. I have never been to Hollister OHV, but have heard a lot about it, and live reasonably close, so it should make for a little bit of fun checking it out.

I also go to figure out a heat solution, as it good very cold inside the shell at night once the temp dropped to 40*.

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Hollister

Had a little fun today over at Hollister Ohv park. I wanted to test the Tundra out a little bit, though I didn't really want to push it at all this time, as I went out alone. Other than it being hot and dry, it was a pretty fun time getting a feel for the Tundra and it's 4x4 system. I didn't snag that many pics as I mostly just enjoying the drive.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Bilstein 5100's did pretty good, much better than stock, especially at a little higher speeds. Soaked up smaller stuff pretty well, although on the deeper ruts and dropoffs it became apparent that a good Coilover system will make a world of difference later on. But overall, I am definitely pleased, especially for the price.

The S/T Maxx are way better in the grip department than the Terra Grapplers that were on before.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looking forward to getting out and pushing things a little further, and continuing to learn the capabilities of the truck.

:smiley_drive:

leebee

I purchased a 3" sheet of medium/high density memory foam, and cut it to match the bed layout. Although I forgot to take pics of it. It seemed to work pretty well this past weekend, when I tested it on a little camping trip into the foothills near me. Much more comfortable than a blowup mattress/pad, and nearly the same price.

I also installed a tailgate seal from Extang, to help keep the dust and water out. The installation for this was very straight forward, and easy to do. It definitely made a huge difference, and so far seems like a decent quality product. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Extang-1140-M...e=UTF8&qid=1400076519&sr=8-2&keywords=maxseal

Now, I am in the process of building a portable power pack with a MinnKota battery box, and a deep cycle AGM marine battery.

---------------------

Here are a couple cheesy obligatory shots from the small trip this last weekend in the SJ Foothills:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Later this week I am going to probably go down to Hollister OHV and stretch the Tundra's legs a bit. I have never been to Hollister OHV, but have heard a lot about it, and live reasonably close, so it should make for a little bit of fun checking it out.

I also go to figure out a heat solution, as it good very cold inside the shell at night once the temp dropped to 40*.

nice set-up you have there! as for the 'heat solution', youll have to do like motodave and take a dog with you! i just new here and am following your build, im hoping to do something similar to what you are doing. keep up the good work!

lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles