Xterra Pro 4, Automatic vs. Manual Transmission versus older Land Cruiser 100 series.

monte67

Hello:

I am new member. Drove my 1984 Land Cruiser MT about 325K miles and finally donated it it to a non-profit about 10 years ago. Currently have a Subaru Outback which I take off road in Southwest, Death Valley, etc. Looking to purchase a new off road vehicle. Have come down to either a 100 Land Cruiser series or a new Xterra Pro 4.

For the Xterra, trying to decide whether or not to get an automatic or a manual transmission. Am curious what others' experiences have been. Had decided on a MT and then have read quite a number of people have had problems with them. Want to know people's experience with the Xterra automatic. I will often be towing a poptop trailer that weighs about 1400lbs which I then park and do day trips from. Had wanted to go with MT due to my experiences with old Land Cruiser and also, theoretically, no overheating problems with MT. Have people found the automatic Xterras solid and will they go high mileage? Also, any problems with MTs that people know about first hand or have they been solid?

Other alternative is to go with a 100 series LC and modify it. Mpg is lower than Xterra and maybe not as nimble in close quarters, but also I am assuming LC to be bullet proof if I can find one in the low 100,000s. If I go with an LC, is it worthwhile looking for a 1998 or 99 with the lockers in the rear or just move up to a 2001 or later with the slightly heavier duty independent front suspension?

Thanks in advance for any input in this process.

JLH9

The Gen 2 Xterra AT is solid, I have one and love it!!! However, there is one known issue with the transmission. Nissan, after many years of complaints, finally recognized it as an issue and extended the warranty on the transmission.

What happens is the radiator fluid and transmission fluid can mix and the tranny is finished.

That said it is a 20 minute fix and a novice could do it. It should NOT deter you.

I will definitely be buying another one in MT, it is such a good truck.

Fzzt

Observer
I love my 09 Xterra w/AT. 54k miles with quite a few adventures off road and I'd buy another in a heart beat.
I'd say go drive one, think about your gear and how you'd store it all. I'm still refining how and what I carry in it, not sure that's a process that has an ending.
When I decided on the X, I was at the end of my rope trying to keep 3 project vehicles on the road. Spending more time wrenching than exploring.

I think the major downside to the X for those of us used to being able to fix our rigs on the trail is the reliance on all the electronics however the good thing about the X is that they are very reliable.
Drive it more like Bill Burke 'As slow as possible, as fast as necessary' and not like Jeremy Clarkson 'MORE POWER' and you have a reliable vehicle to go adventuring in.
Aftermarket support is building with quite a few great companies offering armor, suspension products and more but still lagging light years behind the Jeep aftermarket.

In my '78 CJ5, I'd drive a couple hundred miles to go off road for maybe 40 (less of actual 4lo terrain) and I'd just be wore out from the road miles. I've had passengers tell me the X is as quiet & comfortable as BMW's they've owned and they totally forgot they were in a 4x4 rig. Which means when you get to where you're going you aren't already worn down a bit before you get your tires dirty.

Take a look at some of the users rigs on here, clubxterra.org, and thenewx.org and see that the Xterra can be built into whatever type of vehicle fits your needs.
Did I mention I love my Xterra? ;)

GaFJC

I cannot speak of the Xterra (have had very good luck with other Nissan products) but have a 100. I would say its safe to say the 100 will have greater interior cargo capacity. The 100 doesn't pass many gas stations though. Modded out you'll be lucky to get 12 mpg. Likely less pulling a trailer.

There is no better resource for 100 LCs than the 100 forum on IH8MUD. You'll find answers to your locker questions and anything else 100 related.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94