Expedition Leader
Have been out playing again:smiley_drive:

Stuck:sombrero:
IMG_8163.jpg

IMG_8166.jpg

IMG_8182.jpg

The 'Toybrothers' next to each other..
IMG_8206.jpg
:drool: :drool: :drool: Oh my your trucks are awesome... What a beautiful marriage of two great pieces of engineering, LR Alu. Bodies with Toyota Drivertrains. SO COOL, thank you for posting these. Was your truck the one featured in one of the bigger magazines??? It looks familiar sort of.

Cheers

DAve

EDIT: OOps, never mind I see you're in the Netherlands, the one I've read about was here in the states. iEither way, those trucks are awesome. I love the Tall SKinny KM2's, looks like they work pretty well eh...

Last edited:

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Thank you:victory:!

Nope, it hasn't been featured in a magazine, a lot of people don't like it that I've 'ruined' a good old classic SIIa by doing all these mods.

Yeah, I really like those km2's. They're quiet on the road and they perform very well offroad. The ones on mine are 255/85's, the tallest I could get without going to rediculous widths. No PAS yet, steering is quite heavy when aired down......

cheers

lake_bueller

Observer
Toy-Roverlander...

What did you use for a chassis? A friend of mine has a SIIa on a FJ40 chassis with a small block Chevy motor. He retained the leaf spring set-up from the old Toyota chassis. I like you're set-up a little better.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Toy-Roverlander...

What did you use for a chassis? A friend of mine has a SIIa on a FJ40 chassis with a small block Chevy motor. He retained the leaf spring set-up from the old Toyota chassis. I like you're set-up a little better.

I used, in both cases, the original chassis. They're just modified at some points.

You got pics of your mate's truck? Sounds very interesting and I'd love to see some pics of it:sombrero:!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Small Block Chevy V8 most likely a 350CI carb'ed Rion block/Head motor... Not MY personal motor of choice but it would sure be easy to find parts for here in the states. And they're reliable and would move a series rover around very well.

That is another great looking truck there.

The Toy/Rover I'm thinking of uses a full Mini-truck Drivetrain and 8" solid axles. Seemed like an awesome combination of light weight and strength and the Rover is likely lighter then the Mini-truck that it replaced so the 22RE might have a chance to push it around pretty well.

Love your trucks Toy-Roverlander. Lake Beueller your buddy's truck sounds sweet too.

Cheers

Dave

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yup... That is it. I saw that and my Jaw hit the floor... Same reaction I had when I saw your trucks mate. I LOVE'm. SO to clarify, what Divetrains (like wich Cruisers) did you use??? 60-Series Early 70-series??? Again, I am just plain floored by hoe cool your trucks are. Apparently THe Norse countries (being a red-headed Scot and scandanavian this makes me happy ;) ) and the Netherlands have got some of the COOLEST trucks being built for my Taste. Keep up the good work, I'm sure everyone here is glad to drool over your rigs every time you post eh.

Cheers

DAve

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Yup... That is it. I saw that and my Jaw hit the floor... Same reaction I had when I saw your trucks mate. I LOVE'm. SO to clarify, what Divetrains (like wich Cruisers) did you use??? 60-Series Early 70-series??? Again, I am just plain floored by hoe cool your trucks are. Apparently THe Norse countries (being a red-headed Scot and scandanavian this makes me happy ;) ) and the Netherlands have got some of the COOLEST trucks being built for my Taste. Keep up the good work, I'm sure everyone here is glad to drool over your rigs every time you post eh.

Cheers

DAve

That's a huge compiment to me! Thanks!!:bike_rider:

As for the drivetrain, I used a 3B (3.4 4cyl diesel) from a 1982 BJ42. The gearbox is the H41 4speed with the 16spline single piece transfercase from a 1980 BJ40 (thankfully I don't have the split-case, now I can fit an Orion). Axles are from a 1995 HDJ80 and have the 4.11 diffs with factory lockers front and rear.
Driveshafts are custom lenght wide-angle yoke, 110mm rear/180mm front sliders, LR bolt pattern. Diff flanges have been turned and drilled to accept LR yokeflange, T/case end uses machined home-made adapters.

TBH, there're not that many cool trucks here, there's some cool Patrols and a handfull of Cruisers around but not that many LR's that have the WOW factor. Except a pretty nice SIII 109" with a full Patrol driveline, 3.3TD and all..

AUS and the US have got many, many more very cool trucks! There's a way bigger market for custom stuff than over here. Way easier to get all the parts needed, tabs, links, joints, adapters, shocks, springs, T/cases..... the whole lot. Way more difficult over here and very expensive. I've bought heaps of stuff overseas.
It's funny actually, I bought the truck in Wales, it now lives in the Netherlands, the engine and gearbox come from Belgium, many small parts from the UK, shocks from the US, steering arm/knuckle rebuild kit, and some other small parts from Australia and some little parts from Japan..

lake_bueller

Observer
I think this is the truck he's talking about.
DSC00039.jpg

That's TJ's truck. The motor is a Chevy 305 (because that's what he had laying around). It's mated to the FJ40 transmission and transfer case. He had to fabricate the body and motor mounts. But for the most part, it was almost a perfect fit. You'll notice that the front wheel wells were trimmed a little in the front. The FJ wheel base is 1" longer than the Series. He also needed to trim the frame horns in both the front and back. The bumpers are custom as are the sliders. The paint and body are original with the exception of the firewall.

The best part about the truck is the driver. He's a great guy and has no problems getting out and wheel his truck.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Do you have details on this? thats very interesting. Get the best of both worlds.

Here (UAE) Nissan Patrols of all kinds and ages are one of the most common cars on the road.

Not much... he's a member of the dutch LR club but isn't active on the club forum. Don't have any pics either.

I know it's spring over, it's got those R160 axles and the 3.3turbo diesel with matching gearbox. It's a beat up offroad truck on 34 or 35" or something... He hasn't paid much attention to getting the most out of the suspension though, stock length shocks, stock springs front and back....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles