Post pictures of your Land Rover.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Not much... he's a member of the dutch LR club but isn't active on the club forum. Don't have any pics either.

I know it's spring over, it's got those R160 axles and the 3.3turbo diesel with matching gearbox. It's a beat up offroad truck on 34 or 35" or something... He hasn't paid much attention to getting the most out of the suspension though, stock length shocks, stock springs front and back....

EEK... that Motor and trans were the Bane of My Existence in Australia. The 4.2TD, and 4.2 I6 Gassers were awesome, but that 3L Diesel was just plain awful in my experience. Maybe it'd have an easier life hauling around the lighter Series Rover body. Otherwise that sounds like a sweet truck seeing as the Patrol axles and chasis are plenty beefy for sure.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
EEK... that Motor and trans were the Bane of My Existence in Australia. The 4.2TD, and 4.2 I6 Gassers were awesome, but that 3L Diesel was just plain awful in my experience. Maybe it'd have an easier life hauling around the lighter Series Rover body. Otherwise that sounds like a sweet truck seeing as the Patrol axles and chasis are plenty beefy for sure.

It's not the 3.0 out of the Y61 (GU) Patrols mind, it's the old 3.3Td out of the mid 80's, what is that MQ/MK or something Patrols.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
It's not the 3.0 out of the Y61 (GU) Patrols mind, it's the old 3.3Td out of the mid 80's, what is that MQ/MK or something Patrols.
Oh cool, that's a better choice for sure eh. Would that be an SD33T??? I know RM&po here on the board has an AMAZING SD powered and Portal'd older school Patrol (my personal fav body style actualy) Those motors were also used here in IH Scouts as well. Great motors from what I've heard/read/seen. Sounds like a sweet truck.

Cheers

Dave

jhawk

Adventurer
duschcovery

New to the forum thought I'd post a few pics of the Dusch. It's a 94 with the usual stuff.

Jim

Attachments

• resizedisco.JPG
    resizedisco.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 137
  • resizedisco2.JPG
    resizedisco2.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 78

TeriAnn

Explorer
That's TJ's truck. The motor is a Chevy 305 (because that's what he had laying around). It's mated to the FJ40 transmission and transfer case.

That's interesting that he put a Toyota transfercase into a Series truck when hardcore FJ types are using Advance Adapter's (call Matt at Advance Adapters) new adapters to put the stronger Series transfercase into their Toyotas.

I'm a little surprised that he went to a weaker transfercase behind the V8.

A Chevy V8 -> NP435 or SM420 or SM465 -> Series transfercase -> Series axle housings with either ARB or Trutrac, 4.75:1 R&P & hardened 24 spline or larger axles would have been an easier & stronger combination.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
That's interesting that he put a Toyota transfercase into a Series truck when hardcore FJ types are using Advance Adapter's (call Matt at Advance Adapters) new adapters to put the stronger Series transfercase into their Toyotas.

I'm a little surprised that he went to a weaker transfercase behind the V8.

A Chevy V8 -> NP435 or SM420 or SM465 -> Series transfercase -> Series axle housings with either ARB or Trutrac, 4.75:1 R&P & hardened 24 spline or larger axles would have been an easier & stronger combination.

The Series body is sitting on a Cruiser frame, so the most obvious thing to do is use the cruiser driveline.

For a stronger T/case, if it ever would be a problem, it would be wiser, though a bit more expensive, to go with either a splitcase (driveshaft lenghts are different) or better still, an Orion which bolts straight in.

TeriAnn

Explorer
The Series body is sitting on a Cruiser frame, so the most obvious thing to do is use the cruiser driveline..

Sorry, I missed the fact that you were driving a rebodied toyota. I had thought you were driving a Land Rover with partial toyota drive train.

An honest mistake since this is the Land Rover section. Again my apologies for misidentifying the vehicle.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Sorry, I missed the fact that you were driving a rebodied toyota. I had thought you were driving a Land Rover with partial toyota drive train.

An honest mistake since this is the Land Rover section. Again my apologies for misidentifying the vehicle.

No, you're right about that. I do drive a Series with Toy drivetrain. It's that 88" that is a rebodied Toyota.

I kept the Toy gearbox for it's huge strenght and the T/case can be swapped for a 4:1 Orion, very strong and nice low gearing:victory:

jhawk

Adventurer
Burn E

Yes, I made the winch mount myself there's a build thread on it over on Dweb. You'll find it if you serach "winch factory bumper".

The grill isn't a Suadi grill it's something I built. I figured it would help the truck run a bit cooler, but I haven't really noticed any difference.

Jim

TeriAnn

Explorer
No, you're right about that. I do drive a Series with Toy drivetrain. It's that 88" that is a rebodied Toyota.

A Land Rover 88 rebodied toyota would be a Land Rover frame, suspension, drive train (Or at least most of it anyway) with the Land Rover body removed and a toyota body added. Rebody means to change the body on the undercarriage.

A toyota with its body removed and with a Land Rover body on the toy frame & underpinnings would be a rebodied toyota.

A Land Rover body & frame with drive train parts from a different vehicle is usually considered a Land Rover with modified drive train.

I'm still confused as to what you have.

I kept the Toy gearbox for it's huge strenght and the T/case can be swapped for a 4:1 Orion, very strong and nice low gearing:victory:

The toyota gearbox is not as strong as the American light truck top loader four speeds. You would have been able to use chain store off the shelf clutch between the Chevy V8 and a Chevy truck gearbox. Yes the Orion is a good transfercase, but so is the Series transfercase. Advance Adapters developed the adapters to add a Series transfercase to the various American and toyota gearboxes because the Series case is very strong and way cheaper than an Orion. A 4:1 low range is a good reason to pick the Orion over the 3.27:1 or 2.89:1 or 2.35:1 versions of the Series transfercase if you are building a serious rock crawler. But it is a way low ratio for most expedition type travel. Of course that statement depends a lot upon what your R&P ratio is. What is your low range first ratio at the axle?

Well whatever the vehicle is and is intended for it looks nice.

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
A Land Rover 88 rebodied toyota would be a Land Rover frame, suspension, drive train (Or at least most of it anyway) with the Land Rover body removed and a toyota body added. Rebody means to change the body on the undercarriage.

A toyota with its body removed and with a Land Rover body on the toy frame & underpinnings would be a rebodied toyota.

A Land Rover body & frame with drive train parts from a different vehicle is usually considered a Land Rover with modified drive train.

I'm still confused as to what you have.
:sombrero:
No worries.. Mine (the blue 109") started live as a standard 2.25diesel Series IIa 109" stationwagon. During the past 4years I first swapped the 2.25 for a 3.4diesel from a BJ42 cruiser, complete with gearbox/t-case.
I've swapped to range rover axles last year, and changed it to 80Series cruiser axles, sprung over a couple of weeks ago.
So the chassis and body are still Land Rover, but modified obviously.

That grey 88" on the previous page started life as a FJ40 cruiser but the body was taken off and replaced with a LR body. And apparantly the motor got swapped too.

The toyota gearbox is not as strong as the American light truck top loader four speeds. You would have been able to use chain store off the shelf clutch between the Chevy V8 and a Chevy truck gearbox. Yes the Orion is a good transfercase, but so is the Series transfercase. Advance Adapters developed the adapters to add a Series transfercase to the various American and toyota gearboxes because the Series case is very strong and way cheaper than an Orion.
I wouldn't be surprised that the domestic gearboxes are stronger, but I reckon the Toy one will not have any problems with the 90hp/167lbs-ft that my motor developes.. Even with a turbo added that gearbox will have a very long life.
Availability of SM420/465 (I think you're talking about those) over here would be very limited, thus expensive, to say the least. And waaaaayyy overkill. Besides, from what I've read, the toy gearbox is smoother and less cluncky.

A 4:1 low range is a good reason to pick the Orion over the 3.27:1 or 2.89:1 or 2.35:1 versions of the Series transfercase if you are building a serious rock crawler. But it is a way low ratio for most expedition type travel. Of course that statement depends a lot upon what your R&P ratio is. What is your low range first ratio at the axle?

Well whatever the vehicle is and is intended for it looks nice.

I like a good crawl ratio. I'm tall and the seating position is absolute crap, my legs and foot are in a Z-shape when behind the wheel. Add to that a very heavy clutch combined with a bad left knee(clutch assist is coming!) I'd like to have to not ride the clutch to go any slower when manouvring that big beast through tight spots in the woods.
At the moment it's got an overall low ratio of around 40:1 with a 4.1 axle ratio.

The other thing that I really like with the Orion is that gear overlap will be WAY better. At the moment my lowest gear is 1st low which is around 40:1. 2nd low is around 22:1, 1st high is around 21:1.
As you can see, 2nd low and first high are nearly the same ratio.
With the Orion I'll get: 1st low 80:1, 2nd low 46:1, 3rd low (around 27:1), 1st high 21:1.

As you can see, there's much more choice in low gears. I might be using 2nd and 3rd a lot but at least I can have a nice low 1st for when I need it.

And the Orion is a bolt on upgrade which is real nice, no adapters or driveline changes needed.

TeriAnn

Explorer
At the moment it's got an overall low ratio of around 40:1 with a 4.1 axle ratio.

I agree that is way high unless you are doing maintained trails (dirt roads). Stock Series low first is 41:1 and I was always slipping the clutch and hopping from rock top to rock top with a lot of suspension stress. For 10 years I had a wide ratio gearbox installed that gave me a low first of 70:1 at the axle. For the kinds of driving I do that was way too low. I think I only needed it a couple times. And I had to switch to cable linkage to keep the engine from jumping because I could not hold the throttle steady enough.

For the kinds of driving I do, I figure the range between 50:1 and 57:1 is the low first sweet spot (33.3 inch dia tyres). I'm currently at 50:1 and it works very well for me. But I'm more of a rough terrain expedition trail type driver and not a serious rock crawler type.

With the Orion I'll get: 1st low 80:1, 2nd low 46:1, 3rd low (around 27:1), 1st high 21:1.

That's a BIG jump between low first and second. Unless you are doing some extreme rock crawling I'm going to guess that you won't be using low first a whole lot and low second will become your primary low gear.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94