My Jeep Pilgrimage to the Promised Land....Moab.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Fantastic report, and awesome photos. You are making the HDR thing work pretty well for your. What is your processing process? Also, what do you think of the Duratrac's?

NFRs2000NYC

Adventurer
Absolutely love the Duratracs. They have been absolutely stellar in anything I have put them through....sand, mud, snow, ice, tarmac, and heavy rain. My only concern was their 2 ply strength, but La Sal pass was full of sharp-as-hell rocks and they held perfectly aired down (20psi). My rig is mostly used on-road, so noise and comfort are important, and they are as good as it gets with an AT with MT characteristics. They are basically the closest tire you can buy on the border (the border between MT/AT.) If you get them in a heavier rating (E) the ply rating goes up and they will be stronger, but at a cost of compromised ride quality (still better than most MTs though.) Regardless, I hight HIGHLY recommend them.

As for HDR, I generally shoot 9 exposures and combine some or all elements in a photo, depending on the desired effect. I generally don't use HDR, and actually don't like most of the examples you see splattered around the net, but in my opinion, it has a time and a place, and if done right (not overcooked) I think the results can actually add interest to a photo. It's personal taste obviously, but I personally enjoy the brighter colors and the dramatic skies.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Enjoyed your report! Sounds like a regear and getting a friend with a jeep to come with you on adventures is needed!

sent from my dumb phone

SmoothLC

Explorer
. . . Things were going ok for about .5 miles then we got "stuck." The direction we were walking in took us towards a sheer cliff, so we knew that was wrong, so we went another way. After 10 minutes of looking we found the path and continued for another .5 miles. At 1 mile or so, we got really lost. I was trying to retrace our steps, but it was too damn dark. The situation has gone from haha funny to pretty serious. After not panicking and thinking, we eventually found our way back. I urge everyone to take this seriously...this is NOT a place you want to be lost in, do not attempt this hike near sunset and if you must, bring proper lighting with you. My stupid mistake could have ended pretty badly. Also make sure you carry a lot of water. It's very dry and the hike is serious. If you are stuck there for the night, you are going to need it.

Over the years, I've heard of many who have had this experience; e.g. got to the arch late and headed back in the darkness only to come upon the cliff. Glad you made it back safe.

Great pics - the sky in your photos is really amazing.

NFRs2000NYC

Adventurer
Luckily I've been there a few times before and knew the general heading of the trail. Everyone knows where their cars are parked, but it's not a straight line to the lot, so many lose their way. The last time I was there I was in a similar situation (although it was almost dark, but not pitch black) and I was the only guy that came prepared with a flashlight. I had a line of over 30 people following me back to the parking lot :D

As for the sky compliments, I appreciate it. I was lucky, Moab is usually fairly clear. This was a freak week with rain nearly everyday.

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Looks like it was awesome out there! I'll be doing that trip plus some more from Buffalo in a couple years. As for no good wheeling near you, have you ever heard of Rausch Creek? It's one of the biggest parks on the east coast. It's also pretty close to you.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Lucky to see Moab with that many clouds, it makes photos so much more exciting, and yours are no exception. Very cool editing, gives the trip a very mysterious, ominous feel. Great report!

NFRs2000NYC

Adventurer
Thats my old rig, I have a 14 Rubicon now, but the tires were 33" duratracs with a teraflex performance leveling kit (2" front 1" rear.) The bumper is a rampage recovery bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior