2007 Dodge Cummins "Power Wagon" Camper

rube bonet

Adventurer
Sorry guys, I've been swamped trying to catch up on everything, little more than a lurker on the internet lately.

Well, that's not great mileage for a 5.9! Hopefully some improvements can be made there...

A Smarty Jr. tuner will fix that mileage up for you quick fast and in a hurry!

I hope so! I would have to go back and check the numbers but rpms were also way too high too have any decent mileage at 75+...I originally thought a gear change was in order, but we are now leaning towards a rubber overdrive:sombrero:
Does anyone else have any good recommendations for improving mpg?

One of my tasks is to make sure the suspension is working correctly. After a visual inspection, I decided to take a trip before teardown of the vehicle and get a good baseline of how the truck handled and felt before any changes were made. The dodge is equipped with a Carli suspension, King shocks, rear deaver springs,progressive coils, etc, I assumed it should be pretty well tuned out of the box, but I have also been disappointed with suspension manufacturers in the past.

I choose a route that included interstate, 2 lane high speed gravel roads, narrow off camber shelf roads, and a narrow rocky creek bottom in central AZ. Truck performed admirably, I was extremely happy with the ride quality in the 2 tracks and rough roads, and was relatively flexible even with the swaybar attached. Body roll was a little excessive on the higher speed gravel two tracks (and high speed "emergency lane change" maneuvers), but the truck would lean and then take a "set". It was a little unnerving at first, but after learning its "feel", it is quite easy to control, and is a lot more stable than the initial suspension motion makes you feel. Tightening up the sway bar links should help eliminate some of the initial loose feeling going into corners, perhaps a rear swaybar at some point.

Rear springs are a little soft, and need the airbags to compensate for the weight of the camper, those will be reworked to add in a little rate so the airbags are only compensating for the cargo load, not required for a relatively empty camper.

Some general shots of the suspension, back at the shop and ready to cycle to check for interference issues

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
How about EFIlive?

I would buy a 2006-07 dodge 5.9 just to play with EFIlive :)

Work is looking good as always. Are you planning to upgrade the steering linkage to the newer/better stuff from the later trucks?

rube bonet

Adventurer
How about EFIlive?

I would buy a 2006-07 dodge 5.9 just to play with EFIlive :)

Work is looking good as always. Are you planning to upgrade the steering linkage to the newer/better stuff from the later trucks?

I hadn't gotten that far, what is improved on the later trucks?

my1stcummins

Adventurer
I could use one of those fuel tank skid plates... going to make a production run for all of the dodge boys on this site?

my1stcummins

Adventurer
It is a 30-minute job. The steering stabilizer will need to be replaced as it is a 20mm difference in length IIRC and a different mount.

my1stcummins

Adventurer
I'd also look at doing the balljoints if you're in there, maybe even sell the guy on the free spin kit. I've picked up some mpg's but it's nice to not have everything spinning all the time as well as having hubs that I can rebuild in my driveway rather than take it to a shop.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Thanks, the above are all good ideas, and info.
I did the t style steering conversion on a 2nd gen I had, and I preferred it, the ball joints and and no spin kit make sense to me also, I definitely have more "faith" in the traditional spindle set up.

Are the aam front unit bearing drastically different than the ones used in the dana series axles of the 2nd gens? I never minded the unit bearings in mine, I would get about 100,000 out of mine, running 37s and lots of offroad use, easy to change and carry a spare. I also ran h2 wheels, which I think helped because of the wheel offset. It just seems like unnecessary wear on the front end components (and a toll on mpg), although I really liked being able to pull the lever at anytime and be in 4wd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior