2007 Dodge Cummins "Power Wagon" Camper

my1stcummins

Adventurer
I can't honestly speak about the unit bearings in comparison to other axles. The reasons for my conversion were reliability, and reduction of moving parts. I bought my truck because it is still relatively simple enough to service myself, this adds to that simplicity, these hubs are also serviceable rather than disposable(i like that). The MPG gain will be very small as well as the dollar savings, even over the life of the truck, but knowing that if a bearing fails or something in the front axle fails I can limp to a shop rather than having my front end seized and therefore my entire drive line kaput. Is it throwing $ at a remote problem, probably, but the benefits are there no matter how small. I really don't use 4wd that often, so having to get out of my truck to lock the hubs isn't that big of a deal, and if I think i'll need it, I lock them before I hit the trail. An upside to the hubs is that they also make for a handy step to reach that windshield :)

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The Carli suspension you've got is top notch. A G-56 with mandatory 3.73 gears and a 0.79 final drive of that year does mimic an auto w/4.10's. Can you say lots of rpm's?. As stated,a Smarty Jr. will improve mileage somewhat but the main benefit will be greatly enhanced driveability. I don't get the mediocre fuel economy. I beat that with my Northstar. Swapping out my MT's for Toyo AT2's yielded a full mpg. Try to keep your rpm's at 2K or below. I use a Hellwig swaybar only because of the camper. I don't think highway sway would be an issue with the Caravan camper.
Spyntec makes a Shorty kit for the Dodge's for $1550. As 1stCummins stated reliability would be the gain with that. My buddy's '07 with Dynatrac hubs gained little in the mpg department but the kit eliminates all that rotational mass up front.

Last edited:

rube bonet

Adventurer
Definitely all things to consider...

After driving the truck down some pretty rugged trails, I realized this truck was surprising nimble and capable. The addition of some bigger tires and air lockers was going to push capabilities to the point some serious protection would be needed. First thing was redesigning the rocker steps. The tubes hung down, killing clearance, and were very slippery in the cold and ice. They also had a gap big enough between the rocker and the body that my leg or a dogs leg could easily end up in the space slipping while getting in or out...possibly to painful consequences. I removed the round tube, and built some mounts out of a combination of 1/4 and 1/8 in plate. The 2.5 x .250 tube for the main slider should be plenty relatively extreme use.

The mounts wrap around the bottom of the frame, but also tie into the points where the factory crossmembers lie to prevent twisting of the frame under load. I am still deciding what to do for a step, I prefer it without, but the step would be very, very handy; not just for entry, but access to the roof basket and interior of the camper from the window side.

Everything is tacked for now...sliders will be powder coated before final assembly and welding to the frame.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I am still deciding what to do for a step, I prefer it without, but the step would be very, very handy; not just for entry, but access to the roof basket and interior of the camper from the window side.

What you could do is use the look and feel of the dimple died mounts on your steps. Just cut a rectangular piece of plate and lap weld it to the under side of the 2.5x.250, then weld some triangular pieces that would tie the top of the step\shelf to the outer side of the tube. You could even get stylish and set the triangle pieces at an obtuse angle to the top of the step instead of perpendicular.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Nice pics of Smiley Rock - fun trail! It's is sad (or good depending on which one we're driving) to say, but the 140" wheelbase Dodge will outmaneuver our '12 JKUR.

Great job on the sliders. If you want to make some more to cover the cost, post up the pics on the Power Wagon Registry. The guys are hungry for a good set, and these look beefy. If they can be adapted to the 4th Gen, there is a huge market for them too. I think you'd like the step - it serves 2 purposes, entry, and it keeps the sides of the truck off stuff.

Mark

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That is a sweet Dodge Rob! The sliders and skid plates look bomb proof and as someone already mentioned, the Carli stuff is top notch. I just helped a buddy install a Carli Starter Kit on a 2005 Quadcab with a Cummins. I was extremely impressed with quality of the Carli pieces and the performance of the kit.

Again, great truck! Bummer on the mileage though. Heck, my 35 year old 8,000 lb truck with a big block gasoline engine gets 10-12 on-highway and off-road.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I know it would be a complicated PIA, but what if you have a little step that pivoted out from in the middle of the tubing? Need solidworks.....

Wala. Step idea.

If you did it right I think the tube could still be kept strong enough with some plating on the inside cuts. If you did it right I think it could be sprung open or closed with some kind of simple latch. If you wanted to get really fancy you could motorize it with an acuator an a door switch. With the cuts and step shape just right I bet you would hardly see it when it was closed.

Just an idea for ya.

rube bonet

Adventurer
put me in for a fuel tank skid too, if your gonna do a production run.

No production run planned. I have designed and produced quite a few different items, it is a long process to verify fitments on the different models and years, not worth the time and effort unless I know I have a fairly large market. However, I will make short runs if you can find at least 5 pre-orders (with deposits), of identical trucks and product, and supply me a truck. Good luck with that!:sombrero:

Nice pics of Smiley Rock - fun trail! It's is sad (or good depending on which one we're driving) to say, but the 140" wheelbase Dodge will outmaneuver our '12 JKUR.

Great job on the sliders. If you want to make some more to cover the cost, post up the pics on the Power Wagon Registry. The guys are hungry for a good set, and these look beefy. If they can be adapted to the 4th Gen, there is a huge market for them too. I think you'd like the step - it serves 2 purposes, entry, and it keeps the sides of the truck off stuff.

Mark

Same goes for the sliders! It does seem like there might be a market for those...how many model variations are there on those trucks? Anything I build here I am happy to replicate on a custom basis, or produce, given the right circumstances.

What you could do is use the look and feel of the dimple died mounts on your steps. Just cut a rectangular piece of plate and lap weld it to the under side of the 2.5x.250, then weld some triangular pieces that would tie the top of the step\shelf to the outer side of the tube. You could even get stylish and set the triangle pieces at an obtuse angle to the top of the step instead of perpendicular.

Thanks for the ideas, but I fear the dimple died holes (even reversed) will not provide enough traction. I am going to bend a tube step out from the rockers, and looking at plating the steps in with grip strut http://www.mcnichols.com/products/trade-name/grip-strut-2/?pageCode=contentproducts I think this stuff should provide the best possible grip when packed with snow and covered in ice. I prefer the look of the flared holes by far; however, I will occasionally sacrifice style for pure function....ocasionally;)

Ohhh, those rockers are sexy

Thanks!

That is a sweet Dodge Rob! The sliders and skid plates look bomb proof and as someone already mentioned, the Carli stuff is top notch. I just helped a buddy install a Carli Starter Kit on a 2005 Quadcab with a Cummins. I was extremely impressed with quality of the Carli pieces and the performance of the kit.

Again, great truck! Bummer on the mileage though. Heck, my 35 year old 8,000 lb truck with a big block gasoline engine gets 10-12 on-highway and off-road.

Me and my right foot may possibly be the problem. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get 12 mpg in your truck either:D
As far as the Carli stuff goes, I was very happy with the entire kit. I few items I have tweaked, but overall they have maximized travel and everything works and fits correctly thru the range of travel....something I can't say about quite a few "suspension" manufacturers.

I know it would be a complicated PIA, but what if you have a little step that pivoted out from in the middle of the tubing? Need solidworks.....
Wala. Step idea.

If you did it right I think the tube could still be kept strong enough with some plating on the inside cuts. If you did it right I think it could be sprung open or closed with some kind of simple latch. If you wanted to get really fancy you could motorize it with an acuator an a door switch. With the cuts and step shape just right I bet you would hardly see it when it was closed.

Just an idea for ya.

I like that idea! It won't actually work here (the clearance behind the tube), but I will probably steal this idea in the future.:sombrero: The steps are planned to be full length to help access the inside of the camper thru the side window, roof rack and over cab basket as well as entry and egress.

rube bonet

Adventurer
I started with the belly pan portion of the skidplates first. I try to make the bottom of my vehicles as flat and smooth as possible. This obviously helps in the rocks, but also helps the truck ease off of big washouts and embankments with little worry of an errant rock causing damage. The main plate is 1/4 plate steel, formed for strength, and bolted to the factory cross members, with an additional removable support towards the rear. The bigger holes are to maintain easy access to the fill and drain plugs all the components.

This is the gas tank skid, you can see the angle I had to cut into the end to maintain clearance to the rear diff, and the tube mount up to the frame. It also gets some bracing inside of the plate composed of .25x1.25 steel strap.

This side of the frame mount still needs to be gusseted. The 3/16 steel plate attaches with 6 bolts to allow easy removal if need be, for cleaning and service.

shmabs

Explorer
Rob, top notch work as always!

I will be watching this one as close as I watched your build up of the scout.

I had a few questions for you regarding the skids:

How are you forming the .250 steel for the skids?

Any estimate on how much they weigh?

Thanks!

Mike

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Same goes for the sliders! It does seem like there might be a market for those...how many model variations are there on those trucks? Anything I build here I am happy to replicate on a custom basis, or produce, given the right circumstances.

Thanks!

For sliders, the Third Gen Power Wagons '05 thru '09 are all the same, be it quad cab or long bed.

The 4th Gen trucks are longer by roughly 9", and only come as the quad cab.

We have a factory fuel skid, but yours is by far and away stouter, so there may be interest in that as well. I'm going to post a link to this on the Power Wagon Registry.

One thing you might consider is using button head cap screws instead of bolts. I've destroyed enough of both on rocks, but the button heads are usually easy to remove after they have been damaged.

Mark

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I like that idea! It won't actually work here (the clearance behind the tube), but I will probably steal this idea in the future.:sombrero: The steps are planned to be full length to help access the inside of the camper thru the side window, roof rack and over cab basket as well as entry and egress.

Use away. I'm glad someone can use some of my crazy ideas! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94