2007 Dodge Cummins "Power Wagon" Camper

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Since you guys are on the subject............it got me thinking (which is dangerous). How about a heat formed thin lexan cover for the undercarriage that can be clipped on during the winter months to simplify cleaning and minimize snow/salt intrusion into all the little nooks and crannies. I'm thinking something along the lines of a RC car body but on a larger scale. Any thoughts?

P.S. Your fabrication work is beautiful in the extreme!

Mr welder

Holes in brackets

I live in northeast ohio in the snow belt, the salt we use to deice the road and it eats everything. I put dimpled holes in my brackets for weight reduction. Every fall I oil spray the entire underside of my 91 k5 blazer to stop corrosion and rust. Isn't always the prettiest look but makes things last much longer. I envy you west coast wheelers who have the rust free vehicles to work with ! Awsome fab work once again Rob.

rube bonet

Adventurer
There has been a lot of progress, I have just been slow to write about it. I have been busy with multiple projects, but the dodge keeps moving forward. Fender wells were cut out, and re welded for more clearance. We pulled the coils so we could cycle the suspension, the tire rubbed pretty hard during articulation and turning. A couple inches were cut out of the bottom edge, and fully rewelded. As it is now, the tires barely clear the inner fender and cut portions of the fenders. Even the fender flares needed a trim.

rube bonet

Adventurer
The truck was ready to test the tires for handling characteristics and clearances, so we prepped for a small trip. Pulling out of the shop, clutch failure occured. It was acting very strangely, it would only disengage the clutch at mid pedal stroke, all the way to the floor was no disengagement at all. After verifying hydraulics were working correctly, I pulled the tranny to find a badly failing "dual mass flywheel". A call to southbend with some particulars of this build, and they set me up with a new flywheel and dual disc clutch set up...

You can see where the flywheel was moving enough to allow the throwout bearing to ride off center.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
The best way to gain 2 mpg on the highway is to swap out to Selectable front hubs.

I did this on my 2006 Dodge 2500. Wrote a whole "How To" article that I posted on my web page

www.rvbprecision.com

Cut down vibration BIG TIME....
Allows 2WD Low Range for pulling a boat up a loading ramp etc....
My mileage went up a click.....
Go rid of those nasty unit bearings....

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I got in on a group buy from Dynatrac. Deduct $200 mail-in rebate and it will cushion the blow somewhat.
Delivery next week but I'm going to have to save up some more for BJ's and u-joints,
I'm looking forward to hubs again.
Disengaging them really lightened up the steering on my former trucks.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy! I hadn't realized how long this thread had gone dark, but mucho progress has been made between here and there. First some pics as the truck sits today, geared up and ready for wiring...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior