2007 Dodge Cummins "Power Wagon" Camper

rube bonet

Adventurer
I became involved with this project sometime last fall. My customer, Mr. C, had a 2007 Dodge 2500 Cummins he was setting up for extended travel and hunting trips in more extreme conditions. He had already had it outfitted with bumpers/ winches, a high quality suspension, and a caravan camper. It still had a lot of loose ends, and some of the work done was with less than desirable, especially from a reliability aspect. My goal would be to refine the platform, and increase its offroad capabilities. The drivetrain is plenty stout, cummins with 6 speed manual, and big AAM axles destined to receive a set of ARB's. Conditions this thing will see are a little out of the norm for me (snow, mud and ice), so step one was to familiarize myself with the truck. I flew up to Montana to pick up the vehicle last december, drove it back to Arizona through a couple days of icy and snowy road conditions. Definitely a worthwhile ordeal, it also pointed out a few obvious problems, more on that later.

The truck, as I received it, somewhere in Utah.

Side trip to Zion on the way home

Camping for the night. Brrr, Phoenix natives don't like the cold.:sombrero:

Other overland vehicles on my route

Worst snow storm of the trip...a few hours from my house in Arizona

The trip revealed few things to me:

The truck feels great on snowy, icy roads; very sure footed as long as you are easy on the throttle.

Round tube rocksliders suck as steps when conditions get slick. These stuck out far enough you couldn't step over them, with a big enough gap to catch your foot in.

It is cold in an empty camper with no heater. No real surprise there.

Gas mileage is awful (10-12 mpg). Gearing is too low for this tire size, compounded with the "aerodynamics" of the camper.

Suspension is a little loose on the highway, great in the dirt, or snow on this trip.

The list as it stands now is to verify suspension is working correctly, and fine tune the long travel springs and airbags in the rear. The rocksliders will be cut off and replaced with something more useful and less hazardous. Skidplating and armor will be added, ARB's in the diffs, and probably a gearing change. The camper needs to be outfitted for sleeping and dog storage, and a roof rack built. The plumbing and electrical systems will see some bullet proofing, along with an auxillary fuel tank. Basically, a whole lot of odds and ends to make this this truck a complete package.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Thanks guys!

The cap is a Caravan Campers. http://www.caravancamper.com/ I only took pics of the drivers side, but the passenger side has a window that opens like the box door. The driver side is a separate box not accessible from the inside. It seems heavy duty, and it is definitely heavy (550 lbs IIRC). All steel construction, you definitely notice it is there. The truck currently requires the airbags too sit level, and that is without gear in the bed. We will certainly be adding a little bit of weight, so the springs will get sorted out in the end. The camper/ cargo portion will be spartan, mostly someplace to lay down.

ExpoMike

Nice looking Dodge! That bumper is from Denver Offroad. It's aluminum and is very strong but light weight. I have seriously been wanting one but at about $2300, I just haven't been able to justify it.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Nice looking Dodge! That bumper is from Denver Offroad. It's aluminum and is very strong but light weight. I have seriously been wanting one but at about $2300, I just haven't been able to justify it.

Thanks, the owner told me it was an outfit out of Denver, but I couldn't remember the name. Checking out the website, http://www.denver-offroad.com/ that is definitely the builder. It is nice bumper, heavy 6061 plate and beautiful welding. I think the d ring mounts and frame mounts could use a little help for odd angle loads, more on that later. I am also curious how the weight of this bumper compares to one of my lightweight steel variants, I am guessing the weight savings are not quite as substantial as one would initially think, given the 1/2 plate aluminum and expansive design.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I've had numerous sets of round tube sliders, and yes, in mud or snow, they can be slick. On our '05 Taco I added deck plating to the sliders to fill the gaps, and that made a huge difference in keeping both the truck clean, and they provided a sure step for entry.

The Dodge Cummins build (as a Power Wagon owner, and I've got to say it for the Winch Mob, the Cummins will never be a Power Wagon, regardless of what's added to it :sombrero: ) presents another opportunity:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/27965-The-Cactus-Red-mod-thread?p=422911#post422911

I built two sets based on the now unavailable Power Wagon rail, and they work quite well. The steps is 3/16 square tube, decked w/ 1/8" tread plate. They can take the full weight of the truck, and also provide a secure lifting spot for a high lift jack.

rube bonet

Adventurer
The Dodge Cummins build (as a Power Wagon owner, and I've got to say it for the Winch Mob, the Cummins will never be a Power Wagon, regardless of what's added to it :sombrero: ) presents another opportunity:

And the Power Wagon will never be a Cummins! Pick your poison, I guess!

I figured the "power wagon" moniker would raise some ire, those quotes should be the finger ones denoting sarcasm...:D.....truth be told there hasn't been a "real" power wagon produced since 1968.

Example 1:

This is a Power Wagon

This, is not.

Even this isn't...closer, but it ain't no power wagon.

Example2
This is a Cruiser:

This, is NOT:

Example 3
This is a bronco:

This, is NOT:

See my point? :sombrero:

I actually like the new "power wagon"s, but come on, they certainly aren't the image that comes to my mind. I called this project I am working on a "power wagon"...mostly because I believe this will end up as how the factory should have offered them. But also to give a little poke to all the power wagon owners with Cummins Envy...

Honestly, all my ranting is tongue in cheek, I love the fact dodge was willing to build the powerwagon and the rubicon, that ford was willing to build a raptor. These are some of most capable stock 4x4's American manufacturers have come up with, now where is toyota...who offer really capable vehicles everywhere...but here. And the rest of the manufacturers? It seems there is a market after all...

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Nice example - all true...

If you come up with a solution for the '07 Cummins build that can be adapted to the 4th Gen PW, and are something you can build repeatedly, there may be a market for both the 3rd and 4th Gen trucks. There have been a few one off sets made here and there, and only other production 4th Gen option I know of is the (IMO) poor product from Aluminess that attaches to the pinch weld. For a 8K truck, the pinch weld method is insufficient, and the few guys that have tried them have found that out. They must be bolt on like the factory ones were - any welding to the frame will 100% void the factory warranty. The factory installation instructions can be found online, and if you'd like to see a set of factory rails, several of the 3rd Gen guys in the valley have them.

The Power Wagon Registry has a free vendors area, and I know the 4th Gen guys here and there may be interested in what you come up with.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
This is a Power Wagon

You sir, are correct! Your Examples are all spot on! And as soon as I hit the lotto, you will be receiving my 1940s era Power Wagon and putting a 12 valve Cummins and other "modern" items in it. But all done while maintaining a stockish appearance. I'll call you as soon as I pick up the giant novelty check with all the zeros on it!

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Is this truck an 2007 with the 5.9L motor or an 2007.5 with the 6.7L? If it is the 5.9 it should be getting better mileage than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles