My offroad expo trailer build

xjman88

Adventurer
Here is my write up on the expo trailer ive been working on for the last 5 years. It started out as a Ford ranger body
and frame. I then welded on a tongue and front frame. Installed a set of 3 in lift blocks and made my own coilovers. It was used mainly to haul our camping and fishing gear for a couple years. 2 years ago i installed the snugtop and decided to convert it to a 2 person camper. I put a sleeping platform with a matress from a pop up camper, a small shelf and an led light. I also installed the rack on the front where i mounted a 6 gallon water tank from the same pop up. It has alot of storage underneath the sleeping platform. I put a set of 30 inch Mastercraft courser m/ts on Ford rims. I think it looks good overall, works well for the terrain up here and has held up well thus far. I also installed a small table for part of our camp kitchen on the right side of the trailer. Im also using my ez up awning for now until i come up with an awning for it. Here are some pics.0418150911.jpg0418150840.jpgIMG_20120819_160958.jpgIMG_20120819_160932.jpgIMG_20120819_160910.jpgIMG_20120819_160943.jpg

xjman88

Adventurer
Future mods is to install a 3000lb winch in the rear, wire up a 12 volt water and electical system and add more onboard water and fuel storage. Also a 12 volt power inverter.

3d fj

Observer
This is pretty cool! When you sleep inside and you close the tailgate and window, how do you open it from the inside? (I am assuming that it has the original lock mechanism from the truck)

xjman88

Adventurer
Thanks. Yes im able to close both the tailgate and hatch. It secures from inside and its quite comfy. I have a rope on the hatch that allows me to open and close it and im able to open the tailgate from inside. Usually i close it before getting in the trailer. I also use a couple of camper leveling jacks to stabilize it. Works well.

Last edited:

xjman88

Adventurer
I got the 12 volt battery and electrical system along with the water pump installed yesterday. The pump works well and i ran a water line out the curb side of the trailer where my camp kitchen sets up at. Will get pics up next week as im finishing up prepping for the long weekend trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne