Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankshaft bolt???

Default Crankshaft bolt???

So I was checking my A/C system this morning since I was in temp range for using my gauge, (less than 85) and I noticed that my crankshaft pulleys/vibe dampener looked to be wobbling.

So I was wondering what you guys think? I am worried about a loose Crank bolt on the 3.5L or are the pulleys bolted on so that maybe they are just loose?

Let me know what you all think I will be looking over the FSM to find out. But you guys have the knowledge more than a book can tell me.
    2001 Montero Sport XS 3.5L

So it appears the FSM doesn't cover the 3.5L in the sport. So my next question is are they the same motor as the 3.0L just a different bore? So I am kinds stuck at this point, any help would be greatly appreciated.

go to 4x4wire.....tons of info on the crankshaft bolt. I believe its held in place with a pin. 3.0 use a key

I always forget to check the wire...

For any tech info, i'd check the wire before anyplace else other than my FSM. A lot of folks don't like it but it's the best resource out there right now.

1996 Montero SR (3.5L v6, rear Locker), 35" mudders, 3.15:1 xcase crawler gears
    Build Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...su-build-up...
    1989 SWB Montero RS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (sold)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (gave to rxinhed)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 31" AT's (rolled 1st time I ever drove off road)

Thanks everyone I think I have the information I need. Still not 100% sure I have the updated bolt, but It might also be the damper so like I said I will have to look at it closer today.

It is hard to tell if yours is the latest or not but a new bolt is fairly inexpensive which IMHO is worth just buying and changing out the old one just for the peace of mind.

1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 31" AT's (rolled 1st time I ever drove off road)

When that happened to my old 96, it was terminal. It is a common problem on these engines. Had it repaired but it came off again on a trip to the Grand Canyon. Dealer in Tucson fixed it with updated factory parts for a 1000.00, but said it wouldn't hold forever, so they wouldn't warranty the repair. The snout on the crank bent a little because of the wobble as well. It's a design flaw which Mitsubishi never successfully solved, at least up to the time I sold mine in 2008. Truck was also burning a lot of oil at only 136K after having the dealer install new valve stem seals, so I finally had enough of sinking money into it and cut my losses. Otherwise I thought it was a great truck.

David
    "The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson

"Adventure starts when everything goes wrong." -Yvon Chouinard

Current:
    Range Rover Classic 4.6L ('89)
    Discovery I ('95)

Previous:
    Discovery II ('99)
    2x Range Rover Classic ('89 & '92)
    2x Discovery I ''96, '97)
    Jeep J20 ('88)
    Jeep CJ5 ('79)
    2x Jeep KJ ('05, '06 CRD)
    Mitsubishi Montero ('96)
    2x Toyota Hi-lux ('88, '91)
    2x Jeep XJ ('84, '91)

Yup, the problem there David is the dealership. I would have complained to your local dealership and if they didn't do anything, then I'd have gone directly to Mitsu corporate and ask to speak with their regional manager.

But then again, I've had no real issues w/ my Mitsu that have really worried me. About the worst I'll have to deal with would be the valve guide seals but that's fine. They need changing every 120-140k. Can be done without removing the head. One of these days I may even get off my lazy behind and learn how to do them myself.

As for the bolt, I simply upgrade to the latest bolt design for each timing belt change as a precaution, just like changing tensioners each time. Cheap insurance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast